For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
amanda+3's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, April 9th, 2013 12:51 PM

Moved from t-mobile now battery won't last half a day. Its samsung galaxy s

I bought my phone outright from t-mobile, but changed to at&t.  But now my battery won't even last half a day and I'm not even really using my phone.

What can I do?  I keep getting a 'Check t mobile contacts' status update which I never got when on t-mobile so not sure if this is the issue.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

Try going into your settings, selecting accounts and deselecting "sync contacts". 

It sounds like your phone is still trying to use T-Mobile's network which it obviously can't. 

Let us know if that makes a difference. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for that,  But i've had all general sync settings turned off and it still came up.  But when i tried to use an app I had to turn background data back on.  But t-mobile contacts is turned off.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

Hmm I think Jam is right on this one. If your phone is trying to continually search for the T-Mobile network, that will be a significant amount of battery drain throughout the day.

Try manually entering the ATT settings for the device if you can. What kind of device is it? Try this APN if its a HSPA+ phone:

Name: AT&T US HSDPA
APN: phone
Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC:
MMS Proxy:
MMS Port:
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type:
APN type: default,supl,agps,fota,dun

Let us know if this helps

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks i'll try that, how do I know if I have a HSPA+ phone? its a samsung galaxy s

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

Yup, it seems it is a 4G device. When T-Mobile introduced it HSPA+ devices what they did was add "4G" at the end of its name, hence, that is why your device is called the Samsung Galaxy S 4G. 😉

Excellent, let us know how it goes! If there is still a battery drain, I would look into reducing the screen brightness a little bit, as well as disabling some of the apps which may be using data in the background to save some power. Every little bit counts right? Why not start there? 😉

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

Do you have a working data connection on AT&T's network (not WiFi)?  If so, you might not have to mess with the APN, and it might not help.

Try going into Settings>Apps, try to find an app with the same name (T-mobile contacts) and see if you can disable it.  Not "force stop", but disable it.

I'm not familiar with the apps that T-Mobile uses, but its worth a try.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

Setting the APN may stop the device from continually looking for the T-Mobile network. Basically, trying to make it Manual instead of Automatic. Haven't used Android in a while so there may be changes I don't know about either. 😛

One app I do recall T-Mobile uses is MobileLife, and I know that continually runs, so disabling that too may be a start. 😛

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks everyone, so far nothing is working.  My phone would normally easily last all day, with moderate use.  Today with hardly any use it switched off at 2pm.  I can't uninstall the t-mobile contacts backup, which is what i think is causing the issue.  i am already connected to the APN thing on at&t.

So still no closer.  Unless this is a normal thing that companies do to their phones so if you try and use a different carrier you can;t use it normally, get annoyed and buy a new one?  Or maybe i'm overthinking it! 

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

Are you able to disable it? You can try looking to into the Accounts portion on your device and making sure that it's not refreshing automatically

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@amanda+3 wrote:

I can't uninstall the t-mobile contacts backup, which is what i think is causing the issue.

I never recommened to uninstall it.  I knew already this wouldn't be possible.  This is clearly a system app, which are typically protected from being uninstalled.  Can you disable it?  This alone might solve the issue.  But depending on what Android build your device is on, you might not have the option to disable apps.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.