The Samsung Galaxy S24
fcoops's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Sunday, May 12th, 2019 5:49 PM

Moto G6 Android updates

I've been using Motorola phones on AT&T for several years now and it seems that since I don't buy my phones from AT&T they aren't getting timely updates. Why is this? I pay my bills like everyone else.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@fcoops wrote:

I didn't buy my phone from AT&T, that's the problem. I'm an outcast, it doesn't matter that I have 5 lines through them. I didn't buy AT&T phones from them.

Unless your phone boots with an AT&T Death Star, your updates do NOT come through AT&T.  At&t only has updates for its own branded phones.  Unlocked phones update direct from the manufacturer.  Your problem is Lenova.  

The Moto G6 was not sold by AT&T in the USA.  They do sell the G6 play.     ATT Mexico sold the G6, but you have to be using their service, in Mexico, to get updates.  

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

5 years ago

Have you looked here to see if an update might be available?:  https://support.motorola.com/ca/en/products/cell-phones/moto-g-family/moto-g6?cl=1

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

That's my point, there are no updates if AT&T doesn't push them. Motorola has released them but the carrier pushes the update.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

5 years ago

Sorry, for some reason I thought you were using a model that wasn't carrier branded. 

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

I didn't buy my phone from AT&T, that's the problem. I'm an outcast, it doesn't matter that I have 5 lines through them. I didn't buy AT&T phones from them.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

Interesting since Motorola and AT&T have both said the carrier pushes the updates.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@fcoops wrote:

Interesting since Motorola and AT&T have both said the carrier pushes the updates.

For At&t phones, yes.  If your asking MOTO/lenova, it AT&T your going to get a “ carrier phone” based answer.  

If you own an unlocked, carrier free phone, the carrier has no skin in the game.  

I’ve had a non carrier android of one sort or another for years, Samsung, Motorola, Huawei, Honor, Google, oneplus  - all updates come direct and independent of any cellular use.  I updated a Moto and a oneplus over WiFi before selling on eBay.  

Every since Lenova took over Motorola Mobile has been suffering.  I suggest you try some android forums which can tell you how to side load updates.  

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

5 years ago

@fcoops  It's as @lizdance40  stated.  Essentially, if your Android phone is carrier branded, that carrier manages the updates.  If your phone is not carrier branded, its updates are managed by the phone's manufacturer.

My last carrier branded phone was the Galaxy S5.  I haven't owned a carrier branded phone since then as I choose not to have my phone's updates managed by a carrier.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks @lizdance40. I also have had non carrier branded phones for
awhile now. The Moto G6 I have now is scheduled for the Pie update "This
device will be upgraded to the Android 9 (Pie) release of Android,
pending partner support." According to Motorola that partner is the
carrier. When you call AT&T they say the manufacturer has to send them
the update, most times Motorola has been slow. But Motorola has rolled
it out to the carriers, therefore I'm at AT&T's mercy.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@fcoops wrote:
Thanks @lizdance40. I also have had non carrier branded phones for
awhile now. The Moto G6 I have now is scheduled for the Pie update "This
device will be upgraded to the Android 9 (Pie) release of Android,
pending partner support." According to Motorola that partner is the
carrier.   Motorola is staffed by idiots.  That’s only possible if it’s a carrier branded phone.  

When you call AT&T they say the manufacturer has to send them
the update,  correct. Imagine my surprise.  

most times Motorola has been slow. But Motorola has rolled
it out to the carriers, therefore I'm at AT&T's mercy.

To abandon all appearances of tack what-so-ever:   Manure.   Poop.  Kaka.  

These are the only phones by Moto that will update through AT&T.

https://www.att.com/devicehowto/dsm.html#!/popular/make/Motorola

As you can see, the G6 Play will, as it is sold by AT&T.  The G6 was not sold for AT&T and will not update through AT&T. 

AT&T Mexico did sell the G6.  It is NOT the same carrier.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.