The Samsung Galaxy S24
halfkorean's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Sunday, September 23rd, 2012 3:08 AM

MicroSIM swap from iPhone 4 to HTC One X - texts from iOS devices still go to SIMless iPhone

I have been using an iPhone 4 since it came out, but just recently received an HTC One X as a gift. Swapped the SIM, and the HTC works great. However, texts from friends with an iOS device are still sent as iMessages to my SIMless iPhone. I've tried deleting the text "threads" on my HTC and on a friend's iPhone, but still her texts go to my iPhone as an iMessage regardless if she sends the first text or if she replies to a text sent from my HTC.

Before I began using the HTC, I had to call AT&T to modify my account. The CSR told me that technically there should not be any problems if I just switched the SIM back and forth between the phones, but that towers would recognize my HTC as an iPhone. The iPhone 4 was kept as my "phone of record".

Now, I am thinking I need to call AT&T and have the HTC listed as my phone. This should then remedy texts being received as iMessages to my iPhone?

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

12 years ago

Another option as well is turning off iMessage since iPhones without a SIM card can still send and receive messages on a Wi-Fi network. 😉

~ Evandela ~

Professor

• 

3K Messages

12 years ago

You may need to go into iTunes and deactivate your iPhone, or diassociate the iPhone with your phone number.  There is some option for that in iTunes, just don't remember what its called exactly.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion!

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

Evandela, thanks so much for the suggestion. I should have thought of this, haha. I guess I should have added to my original post that an MMS to my # with the SIM in the HTC would arrive on my HTC, but would be diplayed as a link to download (that would not work) instead of the actual image. I hope turning off iMessaging on my iPhone will do the trick! Thanks again!

Edit: So, now with iMessaging off on my SIMless iPhone, I am. of course) not receiving errant texts from other iOS devices on my iPhone. However, I am unable to send or receive an MMS on my HTC One X.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

12 years ago

Hey there,

What is your current data plan? If you still have the iPhone data plan, you will not be able to.send picture messages because you need to have the LTE data plan made exclusively for LTE smartphones.

The representative was right, you can use your SIM card in either phone. However, the data plan needs to be adjusted in order to use the device's full potential.

~ Evandela ~

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

Evandela, 

Ahhh... Well, the CSR said the HTC would work with the SIM/data plan from the iPhone. However, what you are saying makes perfect sense and is what I thought to be true contrary to what the CSR told me. Perhaps maybe he did not mean the data.

Yes, I am still on the iPhone unlimited data plan. So, if I really want to use the HTC, I just need to call AT&T and tell them I want my data plan switched to an LTE data plan? Is it as fast as "flipping a switch"? So, let's say, I bought an iPhone 5. Will the data plan be the same as it is for the HTC, or would I again need to swtich back to the iPhone data plan? I'd really like to use both phones by just switching the SIM.

I appreciate your input and help!

Professor

• 

3K Messages

12 years ago

The HTC One X is setup to use the LTE APN (access point name), and since your account is not setup for LTE, your account is not setup to use that APN.  Your account is still associated with the non-LTE APN.  Problems with sending and receiving MMS are often due to improper APN settings (the settings on the phone not matching what is in AT&T's system), so that is likely the cause of your MMS problem. 

As already suggested, you need to call AT&T or go to an AT&T store, and have LTE added to your account.  They should have an equivalent LTE compatible plan that will let you keep your unlimited data.  Don't let them change it to a tiered plan (remove unlimited data) as once its removed, its very hard to get it back on unlimited.  It is pretty much as simple as "flipping a switch", it may take them 15 minutes or so to do it. And there is no additional charge for LTE.  Its just a change they need to make in their system to allow you to use the LTE system properly.

The iPhone 5 also uses LTE.  So if you wanted to take full advantage of the LTE data speeds, you would need to have the APN changed to the LTE one anyway.  Not sure if you would need to change back to an iPhone plan if you put the SIM back into an iPhone.  This used to be the case.  If the system sensed you were using an iPhone, they would  force you on an iPhone plan.  But not sure if that is still true.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

@redpoint73, thanks for your input and help. Yes, the CSR told me not to let anyone hop me off of the unlimited data plan when I switch to to an LTE data plan. The CSR told me I would not get LTE speeds without switching (which did not matter to me as I am in an LTE-less area with any carrier), so I think the point of not having data at all (unless on wifi) was kinda overlooked. 

Thanks again for your help!

Professor

• 

3K Messages

12 years ago

No problem.  Click the "Kudos" button on my post, if you like.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Could I switch from an iphone 4s to a one x in a similar fasion only on a (small) business plan? Would there be any extra steps when switching to lte?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.