For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Programmer56's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 3:38 AM

Maybe Switching?

I currently have the iPhone 3GS but am heavily thinking about switching to a HTC Inspire 4G. I have heard really good things about it, but I still have a extended warranty on my iPhone, so I'm doubtful of switching. I want to know what are the real reasons on why to switch? Local stores in my area have the HTC for free so I want to snatch up that deal but it ends wendsday at midnight. (Weird sale huh?) Anyways, Please help! My iPhone is kinda slow and laggy recently and more and more often. I feel it's about time for the device.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

3K Messages

13 years ago

It mostly comes down to personal preferences.  Smartphones for the most part all do the same things these days.  Are their any things particular that you hope to gain by switching to Android?  Android tends to offer more control of the device and customization options.  For instance, it annoys the heck out of my how the iPhone home screen is basically just an app tray or start menu.  The home screen on my Android phone has quick access to several of my most commonly used apps (as well as app tray and phone) along with other information that I like to have handy, such as the weather and my upcoming appointments.  There are nearly endless customization options available for Android, that allow you to change the look of the OS, performance, or even overclock the CPU (although some may take some expertise to implement).  The iPhone only looks and acts the way Apple wants it to.  You couldn't even change the homescreen background on the iPhone until the last year or so.

On the other hand, if you are not the type of person that likes to customize things your own way, you may not enjoy this flexibility, and you may even dislike Android for it.  Setting up the homescreen is not rocket science, basically as complicated as putting a shortcut on your PC's homescreen.  But some people have commented to me how Android is "too hard to setup" or "confusing".  If you are the type of person that wants something read-to-use out of the box, without much of a learning curve, sticking with iPhone may be better than switching to Android.

Another thing that I love about Android, is the Google integration.  If you are a heavy Google user (GMail, Google Maps, etc.), Android is excellent in this regard.  When you buy an Android phone, you just enter your Google login info when you first power up the phone, and your contacts and email are all automagically synched, and it takes no action on your part to set them up.  The flipside of that, if you are a big Apple user, and a Mac owner, then the iPhone is probably for you (althought its not unheard of for Mac users to also be Android phone owners).

There is also some difference in the apps which are available.  At this point, both iPhone and Android have hundreds of thousands of apps available.  So its highly likely that you can find apps on either platform that do what you want.  But iPhone tends to have a little broader support from app developers, such as game developers.  So if you have preference for specific apps, you may want to verify they are available for Android, before switching.

Hopefully, this advice helps your decision . . .

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

Please help!! The sale ends at midnight when the store closes!! 

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you soo much! I am a very tech savy person and a "heavy" google user so in this regard it is already sounding GREAT! Then I also love the freedom and ability to customize things thats a huge factor, and not to mention I love messing around with the phones anyways. 

Professor

• 

3K Messages

13 years ago

If you love messing around with phones, and are a big Google user, then Android is for you!

One more thing, AFAIK, Netflix does not officially support the Inspire yet, and I don't know if there is a hack to make it work.  Netflix does not support many Android devices, but has been working (although slowly) to increase the number of supported devices.  So if you are a Netflix user, this may be a big deal.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

Thats okay i dont even use netflix! Let alone have any desire too! One last question, I've heard rumours about the phone mysterously using data without the users knowledge is this true? Because I have a 200mb plan now becuase I mostly use wifi. 

Professor

• 

3K Messages

13 years ago

I've heard the same, but I don't personally own the Inspire.  It seems that some AT&T bloatware services are set to launch at startup, and use up data (and possibly battery life also).  I've read that some people have had success using various apps on the Market to prevent the particular services from running at startup.

Scholar

• 

250 Messages

13 years ago

You can turn off background data in settings.    It says that some programs may still use the background data connection but it should be minimal.  You can set most of them to not update automatically. 

You can also turn off Mobile Network completely.  Turn it on when you need it.  MMS won't come through without some sort of data connection (wi-fi or mobile network) so keep that in mind.  

I just keep Mobile Network off and Wi-Fi on unless I'm out and need to look something up (I work from home).  

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

Awesome! I bought the phone and use it now! It's great!!

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

@Programmer56 wrote:

Awesome! I bought the phone and use it now! It's great!!

Welcome to Android. Where there is so much to offer and things you never dreamt possible will come true - right before your eyes. 😉

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

Yes there is! One last thing I can not get my Voicemail to work? Any ideas?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.