Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Marshmallow Updates & Discussion

Administrator

Marshmallow Updates & Discussion

Android Marshmallow.PNG

Hi Everyone!

After seeing all of the discussion around Marshmallow (and observing how spread out it is), I thought it would be a great idea to create a dedicated place for us as the mobility community team to share the information we have.

Anyone is welcome to join in the conversation; all I ask is (as a personal favor) we keep the conversation civil. We want to get you the information and updates as much as you want them. I think that's fair Smiley Happy

Keep reading to see all news, updates, timelines, and anything else we have to share. This is a living post, so check back often!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 2,504

Re: Marshmallow Updates & Discussion

• Number inSites such as Tech Times and Phone Arena are reporting that Samsung Galaxy Owners who have received the MM update are experiencing phone lock out.....maybe AT&T may be wise in taking its time before releasing MM.......who the heck knows!!!
Message 361 of 2,504
Contributor

I just talked to an AT&T support tech and she said that only the galaxy s7 got the marshmallow update. Not the Galaxy s6 or s6 edge.

Message 362 of 2,504
Tutor

Rauger3740 that's not true the s7 comes with marshmallow, and the s6 Line is able to update except for the edge+
Message 363 of 2,504

Re: Marshmallow Updates

The edge plus is supposed to have one soon
Message 364 of 2,504
Explorer

I know many that have no lock out. So no ATT is being a punk.
Message 365 of 2,504
ACE - Professor

Rykemapo wrote:
I don't even know why I put up with this garbage. I paid for my phone in full and have no contact. Doesn't AT&T care that I can leave at any time? How much different is the firmware for a galaxy s6 active vs a standard galaxy s6? An active key and no thumbprint scanner?

Yes, you paid for your phone in full, you have no contract with AT&T, and you can move your phone to another carrier at any time you choose to do so... that's true.  However, assuming your phone is an AT&T branded phone, your phone will never receive another OTA update.  AT&T's carrier branded phones only receive firmware updates OTA while connected to the AT&T network with an AT&T SIM card installed. 

So, although you could certainly move to the carrier of your choice, one that you feel will provide good service and will speedily distribute updates to their customers' phones but, because your phone's carrier-modified and branded operating system is still dependent on AT&T for updates, but no longer connects to AT&T's network, you'll receive zip, nada, zilch. 

Android updates are released to the phone manufacturers.  Some do very little in the way of modifications, some do a lot.  Samsung does a lot... features are added, features are taken away, and of course there's Touchwiz.  Then the carriers have their own set of features added, modified, and/or taken away.  At best, a few months pass, at worst a lot of months pass, and then consumers finally receive the update.

I don't think the answer is to move a carrier branded phone to another carrier and end up with the phone forever deprived of updates.  I certainly don't believe the answer is to buy the latest "flagship" phone, because that's only kicking the problem down the road for a few months until the next new operating system and the next new "flagship" devices are released.  I don't think an international version of the phone is the answer either.  Although it's not carrier branded, it may well not have a desired feature, such as Samsung Pay, that US phones have.  

For all of the above reasons, and other reasons as well, my next phone will definitely be a Nexus. 

Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 366 of 2,504
Highlighted
ACE - Sage

@GLIMMERMAN76

So the old saying, if you can't beat'em, join them applies here.  

The manufacturers agree to support updates for at least 18 months.  I still have the little Samsung Galaxy Alpha, which was on the initial list for android 6.  It was released in September 2014, which is just on the line.  It's a fine little phone, but the battery life is pitiful.  Since it was a carrier exclusive, and not a hot seller, I'm a bit skeptical.  

I'm keeping it as a back up, but I would use it if it lasted more than half a day.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 367 of 2,504
Contributor

when will Galaxy Note 4 get Marshmallow udpate??

Message 368 of 2,504
Teacher

I'm thinking that I may be confused.

Is there now an Android 6 update for the G928A (S6 Edge+)? I suddenly found several message threads closed and solutions posted, but those so-called "solutions" seem to apply to only other versions of the Galaxy 6, not the S6 Edge+.

Has AT&T made any announcement about availability or are we simply barred from discussing it?

Thanks.

Message 369 of 2,504

Several companies have the edge plus updates att has yet to release it
Message 370 of 2,504
Teacher

I can't believe I ask a question about inappropriately marking posts with inapplicable solutions and they mark THAT ONE with the same inapplicable "solution". I don't think it's me that's confused.

Message 371 of 2,504
Tutor

No update for the edge+ yet, I don't know when they will push it either. I have the edge+ and it sucks that the other s6 phones have it but I dont.
Message 372 of 2,504
Scholar

@ATTKevin Sitting here scratching my head, why would you start this thread if you were not going to give us any helpful information on the process for rolling out marshmallow for our phones. 32,000 views, and 367 replies here waiting for the update. Seems to me you made it worse, as you said you wanted to improve communication, but we still haven't any meaningful communication..... If you want to improve communication, well, then... Communicate with us. How long do we have to wait? What's holding it back?
Message 373 of 2,504
Mentor

Yeah, I'm thinking about moving my four lines to Verizon myself.  It's freakin'  June and everyone on other carriers are bragging about Marshmallow.....you know, the other carriers that are supposed to be inferior to ours.  
Message 374 of 2,504
Mentor

@Charmhraphics.  That's one of the reasons I hold this carrier accountable.  Plus, they need to stop assuming their the number # 1 carrier.   
What, I'm reading into this is if you have certain phones on this network is, tough ish, either upgrade or just leave.  For someone that has been with them a long time, I can say two things: 1) not surprised and 2) this carrier is FOS!
Message 375 of 2,504
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support