Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Marshmallow Updates & Discussion

Administrator

Marshmallow Updates & Discussion

Android Marshmallow.PNG

Hi Everyone!

After seeing all of the discussion around Marshmallow (and observing how spread out it is), I thought it would be a great idea to create a dedicated place for us as the mobility community team to share the information we have.

Anyone is welcome to join in the conversation; all I ask is (as a personal favor) we keep the conversation civil. We want to get you the information and updates as much as you want them. I think that's fair Smiley Happy

Keep reading to see all news, updates, timelines, and anything else we have to share. This is a living post, so check back often!

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 2,504
Teacher

Re: Marshmallow Updates & Discussion

Well I'm glad someone at ATT is at least acting intrested. I posted this elsewhere but here it goes again. I'm not taking it out on you Kevin but can you get a few answers for those of us who have an Samsung Galaxy S6 devices.

1. Does anyone know why the Samsung update page keeps changing. One day it days we are getting PD2 next day it says PD5 now it says BOJ7. Almost every other device is getting updates.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ans00038783/997516271?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000279

2. Is this how those of us who bought a flagship Samsung device a year ago should be treated?

3. Is this how people who are buying the current flagship devices now will be treated six months to a year from now?

All we are really asking from ATT is to be a bit more transparent (this thread is at least a start) and at least give us some kind of updates on what is going on with OS updates.  Is that too much to ask ?  I can understand you may not know a definative date but don't keep us completely in the dark.. I can't speak for everyone but with what I pay a month for the four cell phones and one tablet the least you can do is provide me as well as the other S6 users who are feeling the same way with some answers.

Tags (1)
Message 16 of 2,504
Administrator

Hi @Anonymous,

It’s hard to convey sincerity on the internet, but I’m really appreciative of your patience. It’s easy to look at the time that’s passed from a monthly perspective and not see the true number behind the wait; it’s those weeks and those days spent wondering about when you’re going to get the update that I’m picturing when I’m thanking you (and everyone here) for sticking with us.

I haven’t seen anything that would indicate a delay; no red flag communications, nothing telling us there’s any problem. You do bring up an interesting point about the additional software possibly causing issues. I don’t want to speculate about that (as I’m not an engineer) though. The next time I meet with the teams behind this, I’ll definitely ask about it; no promises that I’ll get an answer.

There isn’t currently a beta program that you could sign up for. That’s a great idea though. I’ll bring that up as well.

@Tailgunner747,

If Samsung is giving out information that is incorrect, I owe it to our partner to let them know about it. They would do the same for us. Having a stellar relationship with them seems like a good idea Smiley Happy

I understand where you’re coming from though. That’s a fair comment you made.

@GLIMMERMAN76,

Thanks for that (I appreciate the detail, you spent time getting this for me). That’s got to be frustrating to see it elsewhere online and not see it directly through AT&T. To be honest, I’m not sure how the update is available on these other sites outside of our official channels.

One other question; can you shoot me a PM showing me where you found these builds on the ATT download servers? I’m curious about that.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 17 of 2,504
ACE - Expert

@ATTKevin

No these lack of updates is going to cost ATT a customer and that customer is me once Tmobile finishes construction of the 12 towers they are building in central IL(it will take a year for all towers to be in place).  Tmobile allows HDvoice to work on non tmobile branded devices and also has wifi calling on non tmobile branded devices.  Heck att does not officially have wifi calling on any android phone.

Yes I will be glad to forward you links.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 2,504
Administrator

Hey @Twitchy,

I’m a long time Android user (switched to Android after the original iPhone way back in 2008) and the software updates have always been a frustration of mine. Apple definitely has an advantage in this department for some people because virtually everyone knows exactly when they’ll get the update, and everyone gets it at pretty much the same time.

This goes back to one of the oldest debates, and I’m going to compare it to the Windows Vs OSX. Apple has an easier time shooting out updates because their software is designed from the ground up to only work on their hardware. In the case of Windows, the software is designed to run on a seemingly infinite number of hardware configurations. Knowing this, it comes down to a personal choice. Do you like the uniform updates from Apple, or do you like having more freedom to choose? I personally prefer the freedom and am willing to go through the periods of uncertainty to get it.

The TLDR version: Because Android has to support so many potential configurations, its updates are going to be slower. “Bloatware” is on both ecosystems, there’s no getting around it Smiley Happy

I do want to ask why a long-term customer like yourself really wants to leave. Can you spell it out for me? If a customer of 20 years wants to leave over updates, I definitely want to share that feedback with my team.

@MorcaeL,

I’m sorry it’s not working; I would be aggravated if I were in your shoes. I mean, it should just work right?

Can you shoot our ATTMobilityCares inbox a message and include your name and a good number to reach you at? I want one of our experts to take a look at this and work with you to find a solution.

@yiozik,

That’s really strange the USB connection isn’t working. As @Davis606 mentioned, you should just get a popup notification asking you how to treat the connection. Would you mind also connecting with us by shooting a message to ATTMobilityCare?

Message 19 of 2,504
Tutor

@ATTKevin

I understand completely what you are saying about Apple vs Windows and the comparison. However my issue would be more along the line of a top of the line "Flagship" PC from Dell or HP. Both run Windows. MS releases Windows 10. Dell turns around and gives that to their customers as quickly as possible. HP customers, however, is still waiting for that update 6 months later. That update would fix the horrible battery life and memory issues that have plauged the devices since release.

The devices are almost identical. How is most companies s6 different from att? Between devices I would think should be delayed only by the manufacturer of that device.

That's my issue. I could however drop $600 for an unlocked phone and bypass att update issue all together, could be wrong there though. Fairly new to andrioid as mentioned.

Message 20 of 2,504
ACE - Expert

@Twitchy wrote:
@ATTKevin

I understand completely what you are saying about Apple vs Windows and the comparison. However my issue would be more along the line of a top of the line "Flagship" PC from Dell or HP. Both run Windows. MS releases Windows 10. Dell turns around and gives that to their customers as quickly as possible. HP customers, however, is still waiting for that update 6 months later. That update would fix the horrible battery life and memory issues that have plauged the devices since release.

The devices are almost identical. How is most companies s6 different from att? Between devices I would think should be delayed only by the manufacturer of that device.

That's my issue. I could however drop $600 for an unlocked phone and bypass att update issue all together, could be wrong there though. Fairly new to andrioid as mentioned.

@Twitchy

the s6 has over agressive memory managment and that does not go away in 6.0.1 as its a touchwiz thing.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 2,504
Administrator

Hi @smcphee723,

Check out this link and follow the instructions for how to manually get the update. Even though it might be for a different phone, it should work. Also, your assumption was right on the money; the update should be a little over 1GB. You definitely want to download this on WiFi.

Have you tried those steps previously? Have you tried clearing your cache?

Ignoring timezones (I’m West Coast)…Good afternoon @rclevenger!

I’m glad you’re glad! Even though I’m the one posting, I’ve got an army of people behind me that are just as interested. I can’t stress enough just how involved everyone is behind the scenes working on doing right by you and the rest of our customers.

And don’t worry about my feelings, speak your mind. I know you and everyone is isn’t hear to take it out on me, you’re just trying to get something. Anything.

Let’s go through the list.

1. Is this how those of us who bought a flagship Samsung device a year ago should be treated?

I honestly couldn’t tell you why this keeps changing. Their status should update after we update ours. I frankly don’t know if that’s an issue on their end, or a miscommunication on our part.

2. Is this how you should be treated? No. I’ll be the first person to say that we as a company need to get better around communication. There’s too much of our customers waiting patiently in the dark. No one wants that.

I’ve said it in another thread, but this is the cool thing about having such a vocal community. We get a lot of feedback to share with our partners. For instance, when we presented the team responsible for updates with posts from these forums, they were 100% onboard with being more transparent. I think this all was an eye opening experience for them.

Transparency doesn’t happen overnight (especially with a company with as much history as ours) though we’re going to do our best to get better at it. We’re getting a lot of traction on the backend around this.

3. Is this how people who are buying the current flagship devices now will be treated six months to a year from now?

I think we have enough people engaged around the communities feedback that I don’t see this being an issue in the future.

In summary, you’re not asking for much. You and the rest of the community are really reasonable people. We’re working to give updates, and I’m really hoping having all the discussion in one place is going to help this whole process out.

@GLIMMERMAN76,

Thanks for sending me the info in the PM. Let me look into it.

@Twitchy,

Fair point. That would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

On the surface, there’s a few minor differences between the devices on different carriers. Under the hood, I believe there’s a lot of different configurations. There’s a transparency movement going on, and I’m hoping we can all learn more about what that process actually looks like from the engineering side.

Your comment about bypassing the ATT update altogether by buying an unlocked phone intrigued me. I started talking about that with some of my local experts, and they said it doesn’t matter. If it’s an AT&T phone, you can only get updates through the carrier because of the way the bootloader is setup. If I find anything different, you’ll be the first to know.

Keep the discussion going! Quite a few people are taking notice of this thread from AT&T. Let’s drive the change together.

Edited on 5/16 to fix a broken link.

Message 22 of 2,504
Anonymous
Not applicable

At&the has a stable marshmallow build for the s6 g920a, yet they are not releasing it. They could release it to make their customers happy while working on new features. This is what they are keeping from their customers. Before running 6.0.1 pd6 I would get 12 hours on battery. This is after.
1 day, 16 hrs, 27 min with 3.7 hrs sot.WiFi calling was to be released last year according to an engadget article last Feb. It was released but only for apple.
Message 23 of 2,504

Seems every manf. but Samsung getting Marshmallow Update from AT&T   Wish AT&T would join T-Mobile in protest of Locked bootloader.   It is customers property Not AT&T's so should be left to customer if they want unlocked bootloader without a warranty.

Message 24 of 2,504
Teacher

I for one would like to thank you for at least passing the concerns of myself and others up the chain. I know you are probably feeling like you are getting beat up over the release of updates and all of the associated issues with an OS update. Here are a few things that come to mind as a way for everyone to have a better experience.

1.  Allow what I will refer to as power users to assist ATT in testing the various beta builds. The more people testing the faster the testing cycle will go and the more bugs that will be found and fixed before production OS releases.

2. Set-up a Beta testing section on this forum site for bug reporting and OS performance reporting from various device by model types. 

3. Provide more information in these forums as there are some really good forums out there that tell you how to sideload and have the roms that have come from ATT's servers. Why not solicit the help of these folks and have them active at ATT's forum rather than some other place on the web.  These people can help with alot of your support issues and take some of the load off of your support staff.

3. Let me clarify. I was not and am not condoning loading anything other than official software from ATT. I was trying to say that if ATT allowed beta testing under ATT's terms then those people you are referring to as hackers could and probably would be an asset. 

4. Provide a weekly update on new devices, rate plans, special offers and network/OS upgrade status.

I know you are limited as to what you can do Kevin but at least you are listening to our concerns. 

Message 25 of 2,504
ACE - Expert

@Tailgunner747 wrote:

Seems every manf. but Samsung getting Marshmallow Update from AT&T   Wish AT&T would join T-Mobile in protest of Locked bootloader.   It is customers property Not AT&T's so should be left to customer if they want unlocked bootloader without a warranty.

@Tailgunner747

Signed bootloaders are the way of the future.  Want one that isnt a carrier branded phone isnt for you.  Samsung signed there bootloaders on all carriers because of samsung pay.  US banks are putting preasure on google and there oem partners in this case sasmung and LG to start with.

Remember you own the phone not the software on the phone.  The bootloader is samsungs property.

Message 26 of 2,504
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

@rclevenger wrote:

I for one would like to thank you for at least passing the concerns of myself and others up the chain. I know you are probably feeling like you are getting beat up over the release of updates and all of the associated issues with an OS update. Here are a few things that come to mind as a way for everyone to have a better experience.

1.  Allow what I will refer to as power users to assist ATT in testing the various beta builds. The more people testing the faster the testing cycle will go and the more bugs that will be found and fixed before production OS releases.

2. Set-up a Beta testing section on this forum site for bug reporting and OS performance reporting from various device by model types. 

3. Provide more information in these forums as there are some really good forums out there that tell you how to sideload and have the roms that have come from ATT's servers. Why not solicit the help of these folks and have them active at ATT's forum rather than some other place on the web.  These people can help with alot of your support issues and take some of the load off of your support staff.

4. Provide a weekly update on new devices, rate plans, special offers and network/OS upgrade status.

I know you are limited as to what you can do Kevin but at least you are listening to our concerns. 

@rclevenger

#3 is never going to happen as talking about sides stepping anything ATT has not released is a against the forum TOS.  Even if it come from ATT's download servers sideloading is condidered hacking as ATT has not officially released the updates.

Message 27 of 2,504
Teacher

Let me clarify. I was not and am not condoning loading anything other than official software from ATT. I was trying to say that if ATT allowed beta testing under ATT's terms then those people you are referring to as hackers could and probably would be an asset. 

Message 28 of 2,504

I did actually clean the cache. It is the HTC One M8. My wife's is as stock as they come and hers did the same thing. I'm thinnking it is something a little wonky with the update. I just got notified of another update, so I'll see what happens there. Thanks

Message 29 of 2,504
Tutor

I did a bit of searching, quickly, and it seems the best way to get around the att slow update is to buy a Google Nexus unlocked device. Then activate it with att. Nexus 6 is $499 right now. Get a credit card and buy the unlocked device and payments to them would replace my next/2 year contract payments.
The updates come directly from Google since the update will be designed for their device. Very similar to the way Apple can release an update for the phone so quickly and easily since all those devices are tested internally, software and hardware.
Manufacturers, like Samsung, would get the update from Google and adapt it for their devices. That update is sent to ATT for adaptation for their network specific hardware and bloatware.

It would limit hardware choices, which is a major plus side to Android, but the advantage would be instant updates. Those instant updates would make a more secure device, latest and greatest customization options as well as options disabled by carriers. Wifi calling, FM chips and possibly open bootloaders(total speculation on the bootloader) not to mention updates for life. ATT could decide to no longer update a phone so we have to buy a new device rather than just getting a software update. It's a business, I get it.

TLDR- Buy an unlocked nexus to bypass manufacturers and carrier update throttling.
@GLIMMERMAN76 - all reviews of s6 marshmallow say they notice a considerable improvement of speed. Closing of background apps still happens it seems but not near as aggressive. From my understanding... I could be wrong though.
Message 30 of 2,504
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support