The Samsung Galaxy S24
vtlyons's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Monday, November 11th, 2013 10:38 AM

MY HTC ONE CONSTANTLY DROPS THE SIM CARD

My HTC One constantly drops the SIM Card.  It tells me that there is no SIM card in it and I am not receiving calls or messages.  I have to restart it to get it to work but it just drops it again later and I have no way of knowing until I try to use the phone.  How do I fix this?

Associated Member

• 

152 Messages

10 years ago

Try some of these things, and if they don't work it's possible you just have a damaged SIM card. This happened with one of my phones (a Nokia) before. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. The golden strips were scratched up, and I had to get a new SIM.  There's also a possibility that the slot you put the SIM card in is damaged.

Try wiping the SIM card off with a soft cloth, like one used to clean flatscreens or eye-glasses.  You can gently rub the gold strips with a clean rubber eraser, just make sure all the residue is off before putting it back in the phone.

If this doesn't work, visit an AT&T  Corporate Store for a new free SIM card.  Authorized retailers are known to charge you a replacement card.  Have an agent in the store do some trouble-shooting to determine if it's a SIM card problem or if it is in fact something with the phone.

If it turns out to be a phone issue and  you're in the 14 day window for the return policy,  you could get a replacement phone.  If you're out of the 14 day window, look into the Warranty.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

If the above tips don't help, you might try putting some Scotch tape on the SIM (being sure the contacts are not covered).  Not sure about the One in particular, but on other smartphones (including the One X) the tape trick has worked for a lot of folks to get the SIM to seat more securely in the tray, and solve the "no SIM" issue.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

It's under warranty take it to ATT and get it replaced. 

I had the same issue. Replaced SIM card and it didn't help.

Guru

• 

440 Messages

10 years ago

I had the same thing with my phone, the scotch tape worked. Had to use two pieces, one on top of the other.

Scholar

• 

419 Messages

10 years ago

And how do you do this?  I didn't know you could take an HTC One apart?

Scholar

• 

419 Messages

10 years ago

I guess I'll go visit the corporate store, but this seems to be a wide spread problem with HTC one as I searched the web.  I've been using my One for 7 or 8 months now and it just started this today.  It's done it about 5 times and caused me to lose calls. I upgraded with a refurbished phone so no warranty.

Guru

• 

440 Messages

10 years ago

You have to take the SIM card out to add the tape, it makes the card thicker which helps it make a better contact. Don't add tape to the contact side, and carefully insert SIM card back into phone making sure not to pull the tape off.

Scholar

• 

419 Messages

10 years ago

That certainly makes sense, now that I know you can remove the SIM card.  🙂  In touring the web, it seems many, many people have this problem. And HTC One is not the only phone to experience it.

Guru

• 

440 Messages

10 years ago

It happened with my wife's phone first and they replaced it, it happened again so I went the tape instead of getting another refub. Not long after my phone started doing it, I went with the tape also instead of getting a refub and have it do the same thing. It may have something to do with the micro sim card.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

@timbuk2okc wrote:

That certainly makes sense, now that I know you can remove the SIM card.  🙂  In touring the web, it seems many, many people have this problem. And HTC One is not the only phone to experience it.

Bear in mind that the SIM tray is one of the few mechanical (removeable, etc) parts left on smartphones anymore.  So its no great surprise that it is one of the points of failure no matter what the brand or model.  It probably also doesn't help that the manufacturers are constantly making the phones thinner and lighter, which does not really do hand in hand with durable, robust components.

Not sure who actually makes the SIM cards themselves, either.  Might be multiple manufacturers, and also loose tolerances or poor quality control on the SIM itself might be contributing to this issue.

Also keep in mind that posts on the internet often give you a false sense of how common various problems are.  While the SIM tray error may be relatively more common than some other types of issues; it doesn't take into account the thousands of customers that have various models of phone, and don't have any such issues (since folks typically aren't going to go on the internet to post "everything is ok").

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.