For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
NanCcan's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Sunday, December 8th, 2013 11:56 PM

MMS will not download using Samsung messaging on Galaxy S4

New to the Galaxy S4.  My old Palm Treo would download text messages with photos.  But photos attached to text messages on my new phone will not download. 

AT&T wants me to switch to their messaging app, which makes it possible to read text messages across devices (and doesn't have a download compatible with Android 4.2.2; only 4.1 and 4.3 !?) but I want them on my phone. 

Is there a way for me to stick with Samsung's messaging program and receive photos with their text messaging app? 

Is there a way to reduce the size of the photo that has already been sent to me (I'd really rather not do that, as I want to keep the resolution)? 

I could have people email me photos, but that's a pain.

Anyone else having this problem or know of a solution?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@NanCcan wrote:

New to the Galaxy S4.  My old Palm Treo would download text messages with photos.  But photos attached to text messages on my new phone will not download. 

AT&T wants me to switch to their messaging app, which makes it possible to read text messages across devices (and doesn't have a download compatible with Android 4.2.2; only 4.1 and 4.3 !?) but I want them on my phone. 

Is there a way for me to stick with Samsung's messaging program and receive photos with their text messaging app? 

Is there a way to reduce the size of the photo that has already been sent to me (I'd really rather not do that, as I want to keep the resolution)? 

I could have people email me photos, but that's a pain.

Anyone else having this problem or know of a solution?

out of curiousity - do you have cellular data turned off?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, I did have Mobile Data turned off.  Turned it on and it immediately downloaded all those photos!  Thanks for the idea! 

Looks as if AT&T is gonna get me for signing up for the lowest data plan.  I thought that would work because I'm almost always at home, using my wi-fi.

The three photos used up 1.5MB, so I guess I can afford to turn it on just long enough to receive photos.

With my Palm Pilot, I didn't even have a data plan and I could receive messages with photos just fine.

Scholar

• 

15 Messages

10 years ago

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't MMS data transfers covered under your texting plan? As in MMS data doesn't count toward your data plan data usage which would explain why you were able to receive photos without a data plan on your previous device?

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

That's correct, but data access is still needed for it to work, mms data usage is not billed for data.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Help my samsung s4 is not showing pics. via text message using att app. ?? It shoes 1 pic attached but when I open message it's blank??? Data is on.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

i was having trouble with my Galaxy S5 Active, it wasn't downloading text messages with attachments. I tried all the suggestions online and nothing worked.   I finally went to the AT&T store, they replaced my sim card and everything is working fine now.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Sometime earlier in 2015, AT&T did a software upgrade.

(I think it was AT&T and not Samsung.)

I did not like the changes in the operating system or colors, BUT now my text messages automatically come through pictures, emoticons and all - without my having to turn on data access.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.