Ask a question

Posted Dec 8, 2013
3:56:29 PM
View profile
MMS will not download using Samsung messaging on Galaxy S4

New to the Galaxy S4.  My old Palm Treo would download text messages with photos.  But photos attached to text messages on my new phone will not download. 

AT&T wants me to switch to their messaging app, which makes it possible to read text messages across devices (and doesn't have a download compatible with Android 4.2.2; only 4.1 and 4.3 !?) but I want them on my phone. 

Is there a way for me to stick with Samsung's messaging program and receive photos with their text messaging app? 

Is there a way to reduce the size of the photo that has already been sent to me (I'd really rather not do that, as I want to keep the resolution)? 

I could have people email me photos, but that's a pain.

Anyone else having this problem or know of a solution?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 8, 2013 4:20:51 PM
(0)
Expert

NanCcan wrote:

New to the Galaxy S4.  My old Palm Treo would download text messages with photos.  But photos attached to text messages on my new phone will not download. 

AT&T wants me to switch to their messaging app, which makes it possible to read text messages across devices (and doesn't have a download compatible with Android 4.2.2; only 4.1 and 4.3 !?) but I want them on my phone. 

Is there a way for me to stick with Samsung's messaging program and receive photos with their text messaging app? 

Is there a way to reduce the size of the photo that has already been sent to me (I'd really rather not do that, as I want to keep the resolution)? 

out of curiousity - do you have cellular data turned off?

Accepted Solution

MMS will not download using Samsung messaging on Galaxy S4

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 8, 2013 4:20:51 PM
(0)
Expert

NanCcan wrote:

out of curiousity - do you have cellular data turned off?

Re: MMS will not download using Samsung messaging on Galaxy S4

2 of 6 (66,709 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 8, 2013 6:56:42 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yes, I did have Mobile Data turned off.  Turned it on and it immediately downloaded all those photos!  Thanks for the idea! 

Looks as if AT&T is gonna get me for signing up for the lowest data plan.  I thought that would work because I'm almost always at home, using my wi-fi.

The three photos used up 1.5MB, so I guess I can afford to turn it on just long enough to receive photos.

With my Palm Pilot, I didn't even have a data plan and I could receive messages with photos just fine.

3 of 6 (66,679 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 9:01:12 PM
(0)
Scholar

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't MMS data transfers covered under your texting plan? As in MMS data doesn't count toward your data plan data usage which would explain why you were able to receive photos without a data plan on your previous device?

4 of 6 (66,600 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 11:31:46 AM
(0)
Community Manager

That's correct, but data access is still needed for it to work, mms data usage is not billed for data.

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 6 (66,135 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2014 11:09:26 AM
(0)
Contributor
Help my samsung s4 is not showing pics. via text message using att app. ?? It shoes 1 pic attached but when I open message it's blank??? Data is on.

Help my samsung s4 is not showing pics. via text message...

6 of 6 (22,647 Views)