Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 2, 2013
3:20:21 PM
View profile
Locked bootloader on Galaxy S4...DO NOT BUY IT!

I been with ATT for over 10 years and every year I see more and more anticonsumer behavior from you... I was planning on purchasing new Galaxy S4 and now I come to find out that it and the other high-end phone, HTC One, both have locked bootloaders!

Why are you crippling devices ATT? This is a slap in the face to any loyal customer and high-tech driven people. These phones were meant to be used with maximum cusomization in mind, Sprint and T-Mobile both released theirs totally unmolested.

Why are you driving your customers away?

I been with ATT for over 10 years and every year I see more and more anticonsumer behavior from you... I was planning on purchasing new Galaxy S4 and now I come to find out that it and the other high-end phone, HTC One, both have locked bootloaders!

Why are you crippling devices ATT? This is a slap in the face to any loyal customer and high-tech driven people. These phones were meant to be used with maximum cusomization in mind, Sprint and T-Mobile both released theirs totally unmolested.

Why are you driving your customers away?

Locked bootloader on Galaxy S4...DO NOT BUY IT!

72 replies
(4) Me too
(4) Me too
View all replies
(72)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 1:45:22 PM
(0)
Contributor
Very sad ! I used to be with AT&T in the past then switched to T-Mobile where I got better prices and way more flexibility, then lately AT&T came up with better plans and more flexibility too and for them that would be a HUGE step ! so needless to say i rushed back to AT&T and my trusty old good reception, went all out and purchased a sweet Samsung S4 only to find out that it comes with a locked bootloader, for the love of GOD, it is 2014 !!! how in the world is that even possible ! WOW almost $600.00 paid cash for a device and the company feels the need to tell me what kind of software I must use on it ? totally unacceptable imho, out the door the S4 goes along with AT&T ! currently selling the darn thing and it's going back to TMO....

P.D. If I buy the unit under a contract only paying $99.00, $200.00 or whatever they offer it on sale, then it would probably be just fine and still is not free, they should only be concerned with the monthly service which ultimately will remain unchanged.........
Very sad ! I used to be with AT&T in the past then switched to T-Mobile where I got better prices and way more flexibility, then lately AT&T came up with better plans and more flexibility too and for them that would be a HUGE step ! so needless to say i rushed back to AT&T and my trusty old good reception, went all out and purchased a sweet Samsung S4 only to find out that it comes with a locked bootloader, for the love of GOD, it is 2014 !!! how in the world is that even possible ! WOW almost $600.00 paid cash for a device and the company feels the need to tell me what kind of software I must use on it ? totally unacceptable imho, out the door the S4 goes along with AT&T ! currently selling the darn thing and it's going back to TMO....

P.D. If I buy the unit under a contract only paying $99.00, $200.00 or whatever they offer it on sale, then it would probably be just fine and still is not free, they should only be concerned with the monthly service which ultimately will remain unchanged.........

Re: Locked bootloader on Galaxy S4...DO NOT BUY IT!

61 of 73 (3,851 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 4:11:44 PM
(0)
Voyager

I'm with you 100% on this. AT&T will lie to you and tell you it is Samsung that is locking the bootloaders down, however if that was the case ALL Samsung bootloaders would be locked and that's simply not true. As mentioned earlier the Sprint and T-Mobile versions does not have a locked bootloader and neither does the Canadian version. It is locked on our AT&T variants because AT&T wants it that way. Same with Big Red. I'll never buy another Samsung product, including TV, DVD player, etc because of it. As long as HTC continues to allow users to unlock their bootloaders my next phone will be another HTC and I regret buying this Samsung Galaxy S4 instead of the HTC One.

I'm with you 100% on this. AT&T will lie to you and tell you it is Samsung that is locking the bootloaders down, however if that was the case ALL Samsung bootloaders would be locked and that's simply not true. As mentioned earlier the Sprint and T-Mobile versions does not have a locked bootloader and neither does the Canadian version. It is locked on our AT&T variants because AT&T wants it that way. Same with Big Red. I'll never buy another Samsung product, including TV, DVD player, etc because of it. As long as HTC continues to allow users to unlock their bootloaders my next phone will be another HTC and I regret buying this Samsung Galaxy S4 instead of the HTC One.

62 of 73 (3,670 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2014 8:11:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

That's an odd conclusion. AT&T locks the bootloader and as a result you won't buy from Samsung?

As for me, because of this locked bootloader issue, I won't be returning to AT&T after this contract runs out. I need to be with a GSM carrier, so T-Mobile it is!

That's an odd conclusion. AT&T locks the bootloader and as a result you won't buy from Samsung?

As for me, because of this locked bootloader issue, I won't be returning to AT&T after this contract runs out. I need to be with a GSM carrier, so T-Mobile it is!

63 of 73 (2,677 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 11:32:14 AM
(0)
Contributor

Finally sold the S4 and "adios" AT&T !!!!!!! and Samsung too in the process...........................no more LOCKED BOOTLOADER !!!!!!! 

Finally sold the S4 and "adios" AT&T !!!!!!! and Samsung too in the process...........................no more LOCKED BOOTLOADER !!!!!!! 

64 of 73 (2,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 2:27:09 PM
(0)
Expert

rgp2014 wrote:

Suspect that you will find locked bootloaders with other manufacturer's and carriers

rgp2014 wrote:

Suspect that you will find locked bootloaders with other manufacturer's and carriers

65 of 73 (2,088 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 5:25:33 PM
(0)
Tutor
They do this so you feel the need to upgrade to a different phone. That's why s4 mini and s3 mini have locked bootloaders. If you could simply load another rom to make phone better you would have no reason to spend the extra cash to buy a top tier phone. Giving low price high quality experiences that last don't pay their bills as well as giving an over priced low quality experiences that need to be refreshed annually. It's about business
They do this so you feel the need to upgrade to a different phone. That's why s4 mini and s3 mini have locked bootloaders. If you could simply load another rom to make phone better you would have no reason to spend the extra cash to buy a top tier phone. Giving low price high quality experiences that last don't pay their bills as well as giving an over priced low quality experiences that need to be refreshed annually. It's about business

66 of 73 (2,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2014 11:42:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
locked yes encrypted no
locked yes encrypted no
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

67 of 73 (2,019 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2014 5:01:54 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by tomdauria on Jun 1, 2014 at 5:03:55 PM

I hate Samsung and their buggy software.  I hate all the bloat on my phone.  The battery drains insanely fast.  I have to keep it plugged in all day long.  If I take it off charge for an hour the battery will be half dead.  If I am on a call I and I need to use the keypad to input it keeps disappearing as I move my finger in to touch a number.  Before the most recent update if I multitasked away from and back to chrome the screen would be black and wouln't refresh until I moved the page.  Some security software would pop up telling me some app was doing something wrong but it wouldn't tell me what app.  So annoying.  All these apps I don't use and I can't uninstall or stop them.  Sucking my battery all day long and I don't want them.  Samsung software is an abomination.  It is the worst software in the world.  Google should sue them for ruining android.  I hate hate hate samsung.  And now of course I hate AT&T because they are forcing me to use this horrible software.  

I have never considered unlocking a bootloader, but I want this think unlocked so I can install cyanogenmod on it. 

One nice thing is AT&T changed their policy so you now have to wait the full two years before upgrading.  I was always tempted into buying another subsidized phone after 18months.  Now there is nothing keeping me from leaving AT&T.  And GOOD RIDDANCE IT WILL BE!

I hate Samsung and their buggy software.  I hate all the bloat on my phone.  The battery drains insanely fast.  I have to keep it plugged in all day long.  If I take it off charge for an hour the battery will be half dead.  If I am on a call I and I need to use the keypad to input it keeps disappearing as I move my finger in to touch a number.  Before the most recent update if I multitasked away from and back to chrome the screen would be black and wouln't refresh until I moved the page.  Some security software would pop up telling me some app was doing something wrong but it wouldn't tell me what app.  So annoying.  All these apps I don't use and I can't uninstall or stop them.  Sucking my battery all day long and I don't want them.  Samsung software is an abomination.  It is the worst software in the world.  Google should sue them for ruining android.  I hate hate hate samsung.  And now of course I hate AT&T because they are forcing me to use this horrible software.  

I have never considered unlocking a bootloader, but I want this think unlocked so I can install cyanogenmod on it. 

One nice thing is AT&T changed their policy so you now have to wait the full two years before upgrading.  I was always tempted into buying another subsidized phone after 18months.  Now there is nothing keeping me from leaving AT&T.  And GOOD RIDDANCE IT WILL BE!

[ Edited ]
68 of 73 (693 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2014 5:06:53 PM
(0)
Tutor

Oh and the first S4 I had died after two months.  I was in Singapore and the phone was my only camera.  I was on the phone for 45 minutes with AT&T and get to the end where they are going to send me a new phone and no they can't send it to Singapore.  Saying it ruined my vacation would be over kill, but I don't have any pictures thanks to Samsung and AT&T.   The phone gets way too hot way too fast doing nothing.  Well it's running all that junk Samsung software in the background.  It's a lot of work running junk software because the phone really heats up.

Oh and the first S4 I had died after two months.  I was in Singapore and the phone was my only camera.  I was on the phone for 45 minutes with AT&T and get to the end where they are going to send me a new phone and no they can't send it to Singapore.  Saying it ruined my vacation would be over kill, but I don't have any pictures thanks to Samsung and AT&T.   The phone gets way too hot way too fast doing nothing.  Well it's running all that junk Samsung software in the background.  It's a lot of work running junk software because the phone really heats up.

69 of 73 (689 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2015 8:31:19 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Feb 2, 2015 at 9:26:24 PM

Bumping to try and keep this in the light.

I to as well want to load cyanogen on this overbloated phone. Have you guys checked the permissions on this bloat? We are being data-mined and can not escape. 

I too will not be returning to At&t. This was my first smartphone and I didn't even know what was what when I got suckered into this

[Inappropriate content removed]

Bumping to try and keep this in the light.

I to as well want to load cyanogen on this overbloated phone. Have you guys checked the permissions on this bloat? We are being data-mined and can not escape. 

I too will not be returning to At&t. This was my first smartphone and I didn't even know what was what when I got suckered into this

[Inappropriate content removed]

[ Edited ]
70 of 73 (175 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2015 9:33:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

as soon as you log into google your data is being mined as you call it.  Apple does the same exact thing.

as soon as you log into google your data is being mined as you call it.  Apple does the same exact thing.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

71 of 73 (169 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2015 10:47:33 PM
(0)
Contributor

Ay, but google is providing a service we are not paying for and have the option not to use. We are being strongarmed and swindled into this. This is an important difference as it shows the underlying character of AT&T. If I were a shareholder I would be upset.

Ay, but google is providing a service we are not paying for and have the option not to use. We are being strongarmed and swindled into this. This is an important difference as it shows the underlying character of AT&T. If I were a shareholder I would be upset.

72 of 73 (164 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2015 6:40:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ok shareholders would love it these apps do make some money so more money for them.

You dont have the option to not use google much with lollipop.  Google is making more apps that are dependant on the others and so on.

Ok shareholders would love it these apps do make some money so more money for them.

You dont have the option to not use google much with lollipop.  Google is making more apps that are dependant on the others and so on.

73 of 73 (155 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments