The Samsung Galaxy S24
FedUp99's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, August 13th, 2013 12:17 AM

Latest S3 "upgrade" has problems with email, battery life

Did the upgrade yesterday and now the phone keeps dragging in emails (from Comcast) that I deleted from the phone long ago. Delete them again and they just keep coming back in the next half hour or so. Also, battery life now < 8 hours but was >30 before "upgrade." Spent 45 minutes on phone with technical support to no avail other than being told I need to buy an SD card, back up my phone, reset and reload and "That might fix it." or spend the best part of a day driving to a Device Support Center and they "might" fix it. Had the same problem email problem with my Infuse 4G after an "upgrade" 18 months or so ago and had to buy a new phone which worked fine until this "Upgrade."

Any others have the same problem?

Mentor

• 

69 Messages

11 years ago

When I had my galaxy s3 (up until yesterday) and updated about a week ago the phone ran fine and had no issues like those myself

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

Issues after a firmware update are frequently caused by the apps you had installed when you did the update.  This explains why some have issues while others don't (like the previous response).   As recommended, a factory reset can be inconvenient, but will clear up the issues if they are in fact caused by your installed apps.

They can't be completely sure this is the cause of your particular issues, so that is why their is the uncertainty of what "might" fix the issue.

Mentor

• 

69 Messages

11 years ago

Well I also did a factory reset a few days before the update to sell it so maybe that is why it did have an issue perhaps?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Finally went to the Device Support Center to get my phone "fixed." Interesting data point: the DSC's do not have the new 4.1.2 upgrade available but still use the 4.1.1. The tech pointed out that they would not get it until it was stable! So my phone went back to 4.1.1, the email works properly and the battery lasts a day and a half again. He said to call them in a month or so to see if they have the upgrade available and bring in my phone for them to install it and monitor the operation. Started reloading the apps I had before.

However, my phone started nagging me for the upgrade. I postponed it as I could not delete the notification. However, yesterday afternoon the phone started the upgrade without giving me any option!! I quickly pulled the battery and called Samsung. For the first time ever, I got a tech who was helpful. He said there was no way he could prevent the notification being sent to the phone, and confirmed that if you kept postponing it, the "upgrade" would run automatically!! So we are all involuntary beta testers. 😞

Put the battery back in the phone and got a message saying the upgrade had failed. Phone is still on 4.1.1 and working properly. Now I wait to see what happens.

Mentor

• 

69 Messages

11 years ago

@FedUp99 wrote:

Finally went to the Device Support Center to get my phone "fixed." Interesting data point: the DSC's do not have the new 4.1.2 upgrade available but still use the 4.1.1. The tech pointed out that they would not get it until it was stable! So my phone went back to 4.1.1, the email works properly and the battery lasts a day and a half again. He said to call them in a month or so to see if they have the upgrade available and bring in my phone for them to install it and monitor the operation. Started reloading the apps I had before.

However, my phone started nagging me for the upgrade. I postponed it as I could not delete the notification. However, yesterday afternoon the phone started the upgrade without giving me any option!! I quickly pulled the battery and called Samsung. For the first time ever, I got a tech who was helpful. He said there was no way he could prevent the notification being sent to the phone, and confirmed that if you kept postponing it, the "upgrade" would run automatically!! So we are all involuntary beta testers. 😞

Put the battery back in the phone and got a message saying the upgrade had failed. Phone is still on 4.1.1 and working properly. Now I wait to see what happens.

They tend to put updates a lot later then when it is relased to the public ( the device support centers). I had an issue with charging my old galaxy s2 skyrocket right after i updated it to ICS and got a phone with 2.3.2 Gingerbread. The 2nd time i had to return it i got a phone with ICS

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

I am having the same problems noted here and labeled or stated "potentially due to other software"... The "update" has prevented all communication on the SG3....

So, where is the instruction that you are not to have any apps installed due to interference and prevention of use of basic services? Why didnt the download through the ATT site warn against using on phone operating anything else within capacity? Not once has an update been a positive experience.

Since there is no answer and only absolute uncertainty regarding a cause or solution or resolution, how do I uninstall the update?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@MsSB wrote:
I am having the same problems noted here and labeled or stated "potentially due to other software"... The "update" has prevented all communication on the SG3....

So, where is the instruction that you are not to have any apps installed due to interference and prevention of use of basic services? Why didnt the download through the ATT site warn against using on phone operating anything else within capacity? Not once has an update been a positive experience.

Since there is no answer and only absolute uncertainty regarding a cause or solution or resolution, how do I uninstall the update?

have you tried a full factory reset on it the reinstall everything? If the update came from the carrier it was tested by the carrier and QA'd to work, hence no warning needed

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Please remove my inquiry and any potential service "check up" .

But of course I thank you for your kind service oriented response.

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

11 years ago

As mentioned above, hard resets are recommended after every major firmware update.

That said, have you tried deleting and re-adding that email account?

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@MsSB wrote:

So, where is the instruction that you are not to have any apps installed due to interference and prevention of use of basic services?

You are misunderstanding.  Its the presence of certain apps and settings BEFORE the update that may be causing the issue.  In this case, doing a factory reset, and then re-installing the apps (AFTER the firmware update has been installed, as the update remains intact) will often resolve random bugs.  Its not a sure thing (you may still have issues after a factory reset), but it often helps.

Yes, its less than ideal, and an inconvenience to have to do a factory reset and setup the phone again.  But its just a possible fix that is being suggested here. 

It must be understood that there are millions of possible combinations of hundreds of thousands of apps and settings that can cause bugs when the OS is updated.  The manufacturer will test and try to catch as many conflict as they can, but its simply not feasible for them to catch every one.

@MsSB wrote:

Reverting or downgrading to older OS software is not normally allowed in Android. 

Several solutions have been suggested.  There is one "absolute certainly":  if you don't try any fixes, the problem won't fix itself.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.