The Samsung Galaxy S24
pacheab's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, February 8th, 2014 12:22 AM

LG G2 Battery Drain due to GPS

Hi,

I had a 2 week old LG G2 Android phone that has an excessive battery drain since yesterday. When I look through Settings>Battery>Battey Information, it shows that Android Systems is responsible for >90% of the battery usage. On clicking the Android systems, it further shows that GPS has been on for over 16 hours (it's been 16 hours since a full charge).

I do not have GPS running, in fact even if I turn it on and then off, the battery still indicates that GPS consuming the battery. Rebooting also does not help, battery still shows GPS is is consuming power and I don't know how to stop it. I don't have Google Location Services turned on nor is my wifi or data on. Searching the web, I found that Google maps may be the culprit. I disabled Google Maps more than 8 hours ago but it doesn't help.

Anyone have the same problem with LG G2 (D800)? Any clue as to which app is turning the GPS on? How can I fix the battery issues?

Thanks

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

Google how to disable carrier iq services for your device. That seems to be some peoples battery draining culprit.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I have carrier IQ disabled, should have mentioned that earlier. Disabling carrier IQ helped with the battery. I checked and carrier iq did not get automagically enabled when the battery drain began.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

There's another lg service that runs that you should disable but the name escapes me. Lg something service lol. Sorry 🙂

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Hi,

I've disabled the LG Intelligent Agent and the battery drain stopped. There is still a LGsmartservice running and I have no idea what that is.

I'll keep a watch and see if the battery drain resumes again since the GPS still seesm to be running.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I was experiencing the same issue with GPS enabling on it own. A chat with LG tech support stated that this was a glitch in the program and recommended that I try couple of things. She recommend clearing the cache data for GPS and reboot the phone. Go to general tab> Apps>All. Scroll down to Location service, clear the cache data for both entry then reboot. Power off the phone for 30 sec. If this procedure provided do not work, another would be to perform a factory reset, this will erase the information on the phone and data as well, regretfully. So please perform a backup with the LG suite software before resetting the phone. Once the phone restart, during setup do not enable any program that request GPS access. Hopefully this will solve the problem. This last step work for me. I restore of all my data without fault.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Additional information found from another posting may solve this strange action with GPS enabling without selecting it. It appears that anytime there is data transfer on the mobile network it seek to establish some sort of location information. After selected "Wi-Fi & mobile network location" and turn on the "Access to my Location" without turning on GPS, the GPS option doesn't randomly turn on anymore unless I turn it on manually. I hope this help resolve your problem too!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

The battery drain issue got resolved after turning off Carrier IQ, LG Intelliagent and Location Services. However, if I charge the phone, the battery drain reappears. The only solution I found after a full charge to stop battery drain is to reboot the phone and turn off the above three services. Until the next time I charge the phone. 

As an additional note, I've found that at times the battery drain is minimal after a reboot without turning off carrier iq and lg agent. Seems rather strange issue and don't know whats really going on. Looked up XDA forums and one of the post did mention that keeping the phone off for 5-10 mins allows battery to recalibrate itself. Makes sense butthere should be a better way to fix this.

Any ideas?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Same to me but i found a SOLUTION. Remove the LG weather theme (has a bug) and install the Weather and Widget app (set at its settings not to use GPS for location), app is found on google play store.

Additional tip is to set battery save mode at the phone's settings - location. Battery is perfect after did that.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.