The Samsung Galaxy S24
EXCALIBURf's profile

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

Thursday, June 12th, 2014 9:14 PM

Kit-Kat Not Very Good

I have the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active. I just got the 4.4.2 Kit-Kat OS upgrade about 4 days ago. How disappointed I am after waiting with anticipation for this upgrade. I have notice no change in my battery life and actually think it is discharging quicker. I have notice the responsiveness has worsen and my phone is slower navigating in general. I really do not like the new status bar white icons (simplified status bar icons). The old Jelly-Bean OS had a very good looking status bar with the multicolor icons, namely the battery icon was green and the 4G, WiFi icons had there own personalty with color. Now its very bland and looks like i've been downgraded to my old non smartphone. I have notice no improvments or anything else with this new version. Just more Emoji Icons.

I would very much like to go back to the old Jelly Bean OS.

Mike

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

10 years ago

I feel your pain...

Your not alone, everyone is complaining to att about KK 4.4.2. It is ruining a many good working devices and there is no way to avoid the update except to turn off wifi before you receive it and leave it that way. Not a good resolution at all. I was very fortunate enough to swap my device out to get 4.2.2 back and I am hoping to keep it that way. I have cried out a many times for the reps on here to get us help. 

This much be a sensitive subject as the att reps seem to be avoiding theses type of post, as perhaps they know there is nothing you or they can do (legit) to your device to go back to 4.2.2 excep to root it. Which I wouldn't recommend you do as it will void your warranty.

I am getting tired of suggesting to att to please stop the 4.4.2 automatic update before it's get out of hand (Which it already has). I wish att would release a quick patch to turn the automatic updates off like the T-Mobile counterparts have. Problem solved for now.

4.4.2 complaints are on EVERY forum and in EVERY att retail store. It is not device specific. It is not carrier specific. But the carrier can choose to acknowledge this as a big issue and at least stop it. KK 4.4.2 is a heavily flawed Android OS. It had many promises and many people wanting it. Actually begging for it, unknown that the end result would be as they are.

4.2.2 Jelly Bean is perfectly stable and works great. The only thing I wish it had was the full screen immersive mode. I believe 4.3.0 Jelly Bean has an app that has a workaround for that. Unfortunantly it's no good on 4.2.2 in legit form.

I will say this again, I am a big fan of att.. IMO.. It's the best carrier.. I am not here to bash them at all.. But am very disappointed that there reps are not stepping up with a solution to stop this update and put an end to this madness. Perhaps Kitkat 4.4.3 will be the cure all build?

*AT&T please Stop the pushing of 4.4.2. 

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

Android updates include important security changes, so reverting to an obsolete version or not updating, is not recommended.  And every new update is going to elicit some negative responses.  AT&T isn't going to "stop pushing" an update just becuase you don't like it.

Unless you have done a factory reset (and reconfigure the phone), it can't be eliminated that any bugs or negative performance is a cause of pre-existing apps or settings, rather than the KitKat update itself.  Yes, that is not ideal to have to do that.  But its the reality.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

KIT KAT IS NOT THE PROBLEM SAMSUNG AND ATT ARE.

I have no problems with the 2 htc one m7's we have that have updated to kitkat.  If you look all the complaints involve SAMSUNG devices dont they.  There is a reason for that.  Samsung cant update a os for the life of them because of all the gimmicks they put in touchwiz.  The s4 google play edition is not plagued with these problems for a reason.  Samsung and ATT did not touch the build.  

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

10 years ago

I understand AT&T would not stop pushing kitkat 4.4.2 over just one persons request. But, AT&T has stopped updates in the past that they pushed out, revealed to have many issues, and then the push was stopped. So it would not be the first. I am not the only one posting issues and dislikes for Kitkat 4.4.2. Perhaps this forum isn't the strongest place to voice an opinion. Never the less, there are many complaints on Kitkat 4.4.2, even after folks are resetting their devices remain. Just take a look at this quick search;

https://www.google.com/search?q=do+not+like+kitkat&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

IF you dont like the android eco system get a Iphone.  the search you posted there has most people complaining about samsung phones like the note 3 and S4 make you wounder if samsung makes junk phones doesn't it.  They sell phones because of marketing dollars not quality.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

This might have not been the form to vent my frustrations but its the only form I belong to. I needed to vent even though my post sounded quite calm. I love my S4 Active and have no issues with Samsung in general. After months of product searching, comparing, and pricing I choose this phone to last me, hopefully years. I loved the Jelly Bean OS, and if there were any security issues with Jelly Bean, android should have issued a patch for Jelly Bean instead of releasing a new OS.

Mike

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

10 years ago

I completely agree with you.. Join Android Central Forums, very helpful with lots of android information and many helpful replies to postings. I came over here hoping to connect with helpful AT&T reps. But it looks like this forum is just for basic issues like how do I set up my email ect.

http://www.androidcentral.com

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

10 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

IF you dont like the android eco system get a Iphone.  the search you posted there has most people complaining about samsung phones like the note 3 and S4 make you wounder if samsung makes junk phones doesn't it.  They sell phones because of marketing dollars not quality.

I think the hardware Samsung makes is good, it's the bloatware they lard on that makes the phone hateful at times.  A stock android Galaxy S4 is pretty nice, lots less gripes with it than with Samsung's bloated version of android.

As for the iphone, I had an iphone4 and 4S for over 2 yrs, I detested it as a phone.  The iOS6 update, which was forced on users in the end (I had to wipe/restore the iphone4 after ATT unlocked it, which forced me to update to iOS6), caused hideous battery usage.  It plagued all of the iphone4/4S platform phones from what I could gather.  The iphone4S was a battery hog out of the box so that's when I switched to a Galaxy S4.  So don't think the iphone is 'superior', it ain't.  At least with the Samsung the phone part works lots better, less dropped calls and the voice quality is vastly superior.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

10 years ago

I will also chime in on GLIMMERMAN76's sarcastic response... I also have had several iPhones.. Now I have a LG G Flex. My girlfriend has a Samsung S5 and it is a wonderful phone as well.. As for your comment on not liking the Android OS.. Your wrong, I like it a lot.. As a matter of fact my phone came with Jelly Bean 4.2.2. I have had ZERO issues with this phone. It works perfectly Fine. It's Actually the best phone I have ever had.  

My concern is that I do not care to be forced to the bug ridden update of Kitkat 4.4.2. And why should I be forced to?? My phone is not broken, it is working PERFECTLY fine. Kitkat loses the SD write and breaks a lot of working apps. It has many other issues as well. Kitkat 4.4.3 is already out And has addressed a few of them, not the SD though.

My concern is for keeping my phone at jelly Bean 4.2.2 as it came that way as it's working flawlessly..

Who is anyone to tell me that I have to take a force OTA update to a Kitkat 4.4.2? When it has issues I do not have now. My postings make complete sense. Don't mess with my phone as it's not broken.. If I want to upgrade let the choice be mine. If your happy with Kitkat 4.4.2 then good luck to you. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

The problem is that the sd card thing is not going away. GOOGLE has stated in the terms for the use of the OS that the oem's have to do what they say.

As for apple products I had a iphone 3g and the was the only time I will ever have a apple phone.

As for forced updates what would you do today if google said the play store would only work with kit kat? I mean its not like a doughnut android phone works like it should today or even an eclair phone. Gingerbread is on life support as lots of apps wont work on it.

I choose none skinned phones like the s4 GPE or I have a M8 but not with stock att firmware. I love the nexus line due to the fact they are always updated.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.