Issues with Samsung Galaxy S2 since Jelly Bean update

Issues with Samsung Galaxy S2 since Jelly Bean update

Very excited that we have it now.  However, the main bug I'm finding is that I get no text message notifications.  Not in the lock screen, not in the notification tray.  The only way to see is to constantly check my SMS inbox constantly.  I've tried updated the phone 2 different times.  I finally reset the device completely but to no avail.  Anyone else having this or other issues?

Message 1 of 35 (10,155 Views)

Re: Issues with Samsung Galaxy S2 since Jelly Bean update

You may want to try a 3rd party gallery app.  I use one called QuickPic, which I like better than the stock Gallery app.  Now, it has the limitation of only viewing photos/videos on your phone, and not ones synced with your Google+ Photos.

For Google+ Photos, I guess you can use the Google+ apps's photo feature, which is what I think Google wants you to use.

Message 16 of 35 (9,416 Views)

I don't have the pie chart looking button.  Do you need to load Google Now to get it? 

Trash can button? 

Message 17 of 35 (9,393 Views)
Explorer

Does anyone else have a large amount of RAM being used, like 700+ on the regular

I don't have a whole lot of apps installed, and definitely close out processes I'm not using, yet it still gets hella high compared to previous OS versions.

Anyone?

Message 18 of 35 (9,330 Views)
Scholar

After the upgrade, I cannot edit any existing calendar entries on the "My calendar" in my phone.  If I duplicate the entry, I can edit the duplicate.  I've also seen that when I view "My calendar" using a free app called "Business Calendar v1.3.3", I can edit the same apps that I am unable to edit using the default Google calendar!

Looks like this problem has not been fully resolved:  http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=35877

Message 19 of 35 (9,271 Views)

That's a weird issue.  I'm using Business Calendar, and I haven't had any issues with adding or updating calendar entries.

Also, when you say that you're using the default Google Calendar, do you mean that you're using the Samsung calendar app that came with the phone, or the separate Google Calendar app?  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.calendar&hl=en

Message 20 of 35 (9,252 Views)

I usually have high RAM usage, but then, I use a lot of apps, so... I guess that's normal for me.

Message 21 of 35 (9,256 Views)
Scholar

I guess I'm referring to the Samsung calendar app.  It's the one just called "Calendar" on the home screen with the green stripe above a white page with "31" on it.  It looks like a top-bound spiral calendar, if that makes sense.

As I said, Business Calendar works just fine for new and existing entries, where the "Calendar" app won't let me edit anything existing.

Message 22 of 35 (9,226 Views)
Scholar

I see that in the "Settings"->"Language and input"->"Keyboards and input methods", all three available keyboard choices are checked, with "Samsung Keyboard" and "Swype" dimmed but "Google voice typing" not dimmed. I can choose one default, but only between Samsung and Skype. I can update the settings for all three keyboards. It appears that all three keyboard methods are enabled and I can't check only one. Does anyone know why this is? I'm interested in having only one of the three enabled, in case it gives me some processing and/or battery usage improvement.

Message 23 of 35 (9,226 Views)

I finally got Gallery working (for the last two days).  I disabled the new apps that came with Jelly Bean - Google + and Google Play and Mini diary Apps. Don't know if that was the actual cause but Gallery works so I'll leave them disabled.

They may becausing other problems. 

Message 24 of 35 (9,199 Views)
Community Support

Everyone, 

Thank you for posting the issues you're having since the update. This allows us to take a look in to it for you. Can you all please send a Private Message by clicking here ?  Please let us know the details of the issue, the frequency of the issue (whether it's intermittent or constant), your city and state, your cell number and your phone's IMEI. 

Gathering this information will certainly help in isolating the issues, and help with troubleshooting. 

Thank you! 

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 25 of 35 (8,983 Views)

I think this is because Swype has a partnership with Samsung to have their keyboard on all Samsung phones.  So Samsung makes their own keyboard and the one from Swype the two possible default options, and they cannot be unselected or removed.

I tried disabling Swype in Application Manager, and you can, but it doesn't change the list of available keyboards. It does make it impossible to change the settings when the keyboard is disabled.  I doubt that it'd make much difference in CPU or battery usage, though.

Message 26 of 35 (8,935 Views)

You disabled Google Play?!

Message 27 of 35 (8,935 Views)

Yes. I unistalled the updates to Google Play, Magazine and Movies and Google + first.  Then I was able to disable them in Settings/Applications Manager.

Message 28 of 35 (8,933 Views)

Oh ok. I'm assuming you don't mean that you uninstalled the Google Play Store (aka Android Market).

Message 29 of 35 (8,831 Views)

Sorry for the confusion. I just meant the Apps for Google Play Books; Play Magazines and Play Movies and Google +.  The rest are intact since everything works now. 

Message 30 of 35 (8,819 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.