Issues with Samsung Galaxy S2 since Jelly Bean update

Issues with Samsung Galaxy S2 since Jelly Bean update

Very excited that we have it now.  However, the main bug I'm finding is that I get no text message notifications.  Not in the lock screen, not in the notification tray.  The only way to see is to constantly check my SMS inbox constantly.  I've tried updated the phone 2 different times.  I finally reset the device completely but to no avail.  Anyone else having this or other issues?

Message 1 of 35 (10,142 Views)
Explorer

Re: Issues with Samsung Galaxy S2 since Jelly Bean update

You can change that in the messaging settings

scroll until you see notifications, make sure its checked, and then also make sure message preview is checked
Message 2 of 35 (9,869 Views)
Highlighted

Yeah, did that. I figured out that it was because I had a third party SMS app (Handcent) and that as long as it was installed, I couldn't receive text notifications.  I just uninstalled Handcent, and now its working.

Message 3 of 35 (9,850 Views)

Gallery doesn't work after the update.  I can't access it yet I have lots of free space.  Any suggestions on a fix? 

Message 4 of 35 (9,821 Views)
Teacher

I had that right after the update. I rebooted the phone - then connected it to Kies again (it didn't appear to change anything. After I disconnected the phone again, gallery worked. I did one other thing that might have helped - I tried the camera - it asked if I wanted to use the SD card for storage, and I said yes (as before). That might have fixed it.

Joe
Message 5 of 35 (9,823 Views)

I did all of that.  Gallery worked for a little while and stopped working again. I can't understand why.

Message 6 of 35 (9,821 Views)
Teacher

I'm stumped. Mine still works. Maybe someone else will have an idea. You might try a full restart (pull the battery and reinsert)

Joe
Message 7 of 35 (9,806 Views)

That's an interesting bug. I use another third-party texting app, but it channels through SMS, and I don't have this issue. Thanks for sharing.

Message 8 of 35 (9,802 Views)

I didn't see this particular issue.  I noticed that my gallery shortcut on my homescreen disappeared, but it was there in the apps drawer.  When I opened it, it asked about using the SD card.  I said yes, and it's been working fine since then. 

I'll have to get used to the new layout, though. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 35 (9,791 Views)

Thank you. For some reason after a reset my Gallery will work for a while and then it will stop working again.
Glad to hear yours works fine. Must be my phone set up..
Message 10 of 35 (9,753 Views)
Mentor

Maybe try clearing cache by holding volume up volume down and power buttons at startup until a menu pop up. Use volume down to select clean/ clear cache and power button to confirm.
Message 11 of 35 (9,614 Views)
Scholar

One thing that has me wondering since my update is it seems the battery drains a little quicker... has anyone else seen anything with that? Looking at my battery options screen, with 4 hours and 24 minutes on battery, starting at 100%, the battery is at 64%. The "Screen" is at 54% (1 minute screen timeout) and the "Android OS" entry is next at 16%. That seems like a high percentage for "Android OS"... wouldn't this be more like a single digit percentage? The next entry is "Android System" at 6%, which seems reasonable.

Message 12 of 35 (9,454 Views)

It seems that there are more APPs running in the background.  The old OS came with an indicator APP that told you what was running and is no longer there with Jelly Bean.  I downloaded AVG Antiviris which ahs a performance tab that shows what's running - to "kill"

Message 13 of 35 (9,418 Views)

Thank you. I tried it but no luck. Went to the AT&T dealer and they hadn't heard of this problem. My just be my phone.since no one else seems to have the problem.
Message 14 of 35 (9,419 Views)

Do you mean the "task manager" button at the bottom of the recent apps list?  Yeah, that's gone, but it's been replaced by 3 buttons.

1. a pie chart looking button that shows all running apps. You can exit apps from there.

2. a Google Now button (little g).

3. a trash can button that apparently clears the list of recent apps.

I am also trying an app called Clean Master that, among other things, kills running apps in the background. Not sure it's helping, but...

Message 15 of 35 (9,414 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.