For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
AlmondMilk's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Monday, March 31st, 2014 12:54 AM

Is it Possible to Disable Auto Firmware Updates on Note 3?

Hello - 

I recenlty transition  from using an iPhone to the Note 3 - Over the past 3 days - I have read about the KitKat update- and have decided that I want no part of it.  I thouhght this would be a simple decision about MY device and service that I could make.  Since then, I have been reading that without rooting my phone - there is no way to keep ATT from forcing this update.  Really? 

Even on the restrictive iPhone - I can atleast opt not to update the firmware.   Currently - I have my WiFi turned off - since the message I get states that I need to have WiFi on - in order to update the firmware.  I am really hoping there are other options.

1.  Is it the case that I cannot decline this update? 

2.  If so, will using my ATT data only keep this from updating - or will it eventually do so?

3.  Will ATT eventually stop trying to update the firmware?

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hello, AlmondMilk!

Thanks for posting.

What sort of concerns did you have with the latest update for the Note 3? So far, all the feedback seems to be positive for this particular model.

-Mariana

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

I only know that on my LG phone and my samsung tablet, the answer was no. More and more tracking software that uses your data and cant be disabled much less uninstalled gets added from time to time. I battoned down the hatches on my samsung pretty good and was happy with it but a mystery lock screen appeared on it and i had to quit using it. Neither atnt nor samsung will admit to doing it, so resetting it would be a waste of time. I would like to see your question be answered here, i came back to this post to see if they will just answer the question. I am sticking with my blackberry for surfing for as long as i can, i want to stay away from both apple and android because of this issue.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

I want to add one more comment about using the bb.playbook, since the topic was firmware.... I connect thru the att unite pro, which is what i should have bought last year instead of the samsung tablet, and i have only used 1.5 gigs in two weeks of surfing. No bloatware or trackware here! I look forward to getting the bb.Z30 someday ... I think the attention to privacy blackberry gives you is the reason U.S. Carriers are blackballing it. I have had atnt staff tell me they didnt even know they still sold blackberries! Both in person and on the phone. These programs are a big part of where they make their money, the information that is gathered. We made our choices by which brands we buy. I didnt know any of this when i bought my first smartphone, so i chose LG, which i still like better than samsung, at least it keeps on working! Maybe that is holding back the Z30 here at atnt, they need their trackware added to the mix for it to be profitable to carry it. When i am ready to spend the money i wont be going to atnt to buy it, though, after the way i have already been treated.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have not updated to Kitkat as well on my AT&T Note 3, after reading stories about: Being unable to use SD Cards to save apps, pictures and music files, battery life being shortened, home screen camera not working, action memo, multi window, and email notification not working as it should be. I'll pass on KitKat and wait for a patched version whenever that will be.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Wow- with all the poor reviews I have read about the update - and the few comments I have read of people not updating the Kikat - I have not been able to find ONE post of anyone detailing how to prevent ATT from hijacking my phone and installing something I do not want on it.  I awoke today to find that they pushed a softward update through my phone over the network, so keeping the WiFi off for several days did not help. Since my battery was low, it did not install.  I do not know how to keep it from istalling - other than allowing my to fully charge.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Prior to my Note 3 phone auto updating early this week, my battery lasted for at least 3 days, lost about 20% per day.

Now, it wont last a day! 

What is up?

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

The original question still remains unanswered. Please give us atnt's response to the question about automatic firmware updates. If an atnt employee has shown concern for a topic the topic should be answered with at least a final post stating you cant answer. I was on the phone to samsung about this on my tablet that got the mystery lockscreen. We will have no choice until we leave the products / vendors / providers that treat us like this.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

So far - 1 or a combination of things have worked for me -  Although SOME update came through over the network last week - I did not install it.  I wiped my phone clean - again; I did/do not have much on it. 

1. I stay on data - I have not turned on my Wifi in well over  a week - It helps that I have unlimited data  2. I stopped ATT Software Update - and I do it everytime I turn on or restart my phone - I also clear the cache.  There is no option to just altogether turn it off.  And so far, is stays off until next restart.  3.  I also turn off Google Services Framework -  Yes, this will disallow me to use Google services - which I rarely do.  And I have to say - I find Google and Android to be very intrusive and nosey - So, the less interaction I have with them the better.  I use my phone to talk - check emails - write notes - and read news -  If I want something from the Play Store  - I just turn on G. Services - get what I want - and then turn it off again. 

Like I said - It could be one or any combination of  the above three - but I have not gotten 1 notification to update the software - nor have there been any updates forced on me.  If anything changes - I will post.  Sad that I have to go through all of this to use my phone the way that I want to - in a way that is not harming anyone!

@little birdy wrote:
The original question still remains unanswered. Please give us atnt's response to the question about automatic firmware updates. If an atnt employee has shown concern for a topic the topic should be answered with at least a final post stating you cant answer. I was on the phone to samsung about this on my tablet that got the mystery lockscreen. We will have no choice until we leave the products / vendors / providers that treat us like this.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

I do not want this update and have been forced to update, I pulled the battery when it rebooted my phone in the middle of me using it... even though I tried to stop the app by hitting the back button on the bottom of the phone...

now im getting the run around with both att support via chat and samsung

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

You were righ to not want the update. After my note 3 and my s4 active recieved the update, niether one would connect to the bluetooth in my car. I ended up having to do warranty exchanges on both of them twice because the first ones they sent had the update instaled already and also wouldnt connect to the blue tooth.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.