The Samsung Galaxy S24
pirod01's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Sunday, March 18th, 2018 4:46 PM

Impossible to use DUAL sim phone because lack of 2G

Hello,

I tested 3 different makes of DUAL SIM phones (WindowsPhone 950, 730 and Android Honor 8). Since AT&T cut the 2G network it is impossible to use two SIM cards on the same network.

My scenario: I have a roaming SIM from EU supplier and an AT&T based SIM card for US. I am sure this can happen with situations of professional number and private number on ATT.

You always have one of the SIM cards using 2G.

This shutdown was totally irresponsible from ATT. Any solution?

thanks

Pierre

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

ATT may have been the first to shut down their 2G network but all the carriers are: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2G. 2G is now ancient technology. Carriers all around the world are shutting their 2G networks down. 

“Various carriers have made announcements that 2G technology in the United States is in the process of being shut down so that carriers can reclaim those radio bands and re-purpose them for newer technologies (e.g. 4G LTE). AT&T's 2G GSM service was shut down in January 2017. This shutdown had a notable impact on the electronic security industry, where many 2G GSM radios were in use for alarm signal communication to central station dispatch centers. 2G GSM radios were required to be replaced by newer generation radios to avoid service outages. Verizon plans to shut down its 2G CDMA 1X network by 31 December 2019. Whereas, T-Mobile US has postponed shutdown of their 2G network until 2020.”

Though not mentioned in the above article, Sprint is shutting down their 2G network in 2021.

Sorry, I don’t have a list of dual sim phones that support 3G/4G on both slots but I know they exist.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Irresponsible to shut down a network that costs millions to operate that very few phones use? Rediculous. On the contrary, it would be irresponsible not to shut it down. Blame the phone manufacturers, not ATT. There are dual sim phones that will work, buy one of them. 

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

ATT is the only provider having done that as I learn and on a network that was already paid for by your customers. This does not prevent you to charge 3x more than average providers in the world.

Please be useful and prove this list of phones which support 3G on a DUAL case. I am really curious to see if you can find that many that have hardware made just for ATT. 

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

"I am really curious to see if you can find that many that have hardware made just for ATT. "

If it's made just for at&t then they arnt setting it up for other carriers are they? I don't think any carriers carry dual sim phones in the us but I could be mistaken.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

I meant unlocked phones of course.

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

@sandblaster the made specifically for at&t part is the hardest part of it. No phone made specifically for at&t has dual sims

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

thanks for all this. The problem with DUAL SIM is that people who answer don't seem to be users of DUAL sim phones with both slots occupied. I am still to find a phone that can WORK at least 3G on both sim cards. this is why shutting down 2G network at this stage is premature. Carriers need to wait for hardware to follow. 

Anyone knows of a phone that handle 3G on slot 2?

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

I have a phone that gets 3g/lte both slots, OnePlus 3. However it's not designed specifically for at&t so it doesn't meet your criteria. It works just fine with 3g and lte though

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 may know of a dual sim with 3g.....

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

Notice the phones the op listed ... Junk old windows phones and the honor 8.  The honor 8 actually has a model that does support dual 3g sims.  There are not any dual SIM models made for the us market they all have to be imported since us carriers don't like them.

Moto has dual 3g sims in the g series

One plus has them in the 5t.

There are many more.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.