Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Dec 27, 2012
4:33:35 PM
View profile
I want to forget attwifi

I am using brand new LG Optimus G AT&T. I don't have contract with AT&T at all ($550). I could legally unlock the phone and use the phone on T-mobile.

The phone connects to attwifi hotspot and I cannot remove it. I cannot forget the network. Because of that I continuously connect to unussable network. I can turn off wifi. Right. I can turn it off. But what if I want to use Wifi. Let's say there are wifi AP that I want to connect to and attwifi nearby. It often connects to attwifi.

I would be upset even if I could use attwifi because it will require password and disconnects all data communication before putting the password. It's okay only if I want to connect to attwifi. Why can't I opt out? Why it's unforgottable? Evil evil evil.

And there's a serious security problem, too. If some sneaky guys make AP named attwifi, the device will also connect to the network, even if I don't want attwifi at all.

I don't know who made this decision, but definitely it's a very evil decision.

I used to be AT&T prepaid user in the past. I don't use AT&T becasue I couldn't print out the previous recipt. For prepaid, it wasn't possible. And it disconnected my SIM card becasue I wasn't using it for months while staying outside of US. (was less than 6 month)

I am using brand new LG Optimus G AT&T. I don't have contract with AT&T at all ($550). I could legally unlock the phone and use the phone on T-mobile.

The phone connects to attwifi hotspot and I cannot remove it. I cannot forget the network. Because of that I continuously connect to unussable network. I can turn off wifi. Right. I can turn it off. But what if I want to use Wifi. Let's say there are wifi AP that I want to connect to and attwifi nearby. It often connects to attwifi.

I would be upset even if I could use attwifi because it will require password and disconnects all data communication before putting the password. It's okay only if I want to connect to attwifi. Why can't I opt out? Why it's unforgottable? Evil evil evil.

And there's a serious security problem, too. If some sneaky guys make AP named attwifi, the device will also connect to the network, even if I don't want attwifi at all.

I don't know who made this decision, but definitely it's a very evil decision.

I used to be AT&T prepaid user in the past. I don't use AT&T becasue I couldn't print out the previous recipt. For prepaid, it wasn't possible. And it disconnected my SIM card becasue I wasn't using it for months while staying outside of US. (was less than 6 month)

I want to forget attwifi

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2013 9:27:16 AM
(0)
Contributor

Have you looked into disabling the ATT WiFi app on the device? This app prioritizes ATT hotspots and automatically connects to them when in range. 

Have you looked into disabling the ATT WiFi app on the device? This app prioritizes ATT hotspots and automatically connects to them when in range. 

Re: I want to forget attwifi

2 of 4 (5,579 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2013 3:36:37 PM
(0)
Mentor
there is a checkbox to disable auto connect to att hotspots in wifi settings i think
there is a checkbox to disable auto connect to att hotspots in wifi settings i think

3 of 4 (5,536 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2013 12:32:44 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thank you! It's unforgettable, but I could check it off not to stick to attwifi. Smiley Happy

Thank you! It's unforgettable, but I could check it off not to stick to attwifi. Smiley Happy

4 of 4 (5,395 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments