For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
BruceK123's profile

Mentor

• 

193 Messages

Wednesday, May 14th, 2014 5:47 PM

I want my IceCreamSandwich back...

Hi,

I've got 4 Samsung S3 SGH-I747, purchase in December 2012.  The original OS on all was ICS.  Last week, only one was pushed Android version 4.3, JellyBean.  None of the other phones have been pushed this update.  Every day, as I use/access more functions or apps, I encounter glitches.  Some are unsolvable and I can't figre out workarounds.  The latest is that my POP3 email tool (not gmail), will not automatically retrieve messages, and when I force it to retrieve, it goes back months and months.  I guess I could delete the email accounts and rebuild them, but I wonder what I'll run into next.

I'd like to simply reinstall ICS.  My understanding is that ICS can be found online, and that I'd have to download to my pc, and then to my phone, and then do a factory reset.  Of course, this involves backing up all data (using Kies?) to my pc.

The rep at the ATT store told me that I could find ICS and instructions on how to get back to ICS online.

Has anyone done this successfully?  Does anyone know where I can find ICS and instructions?  I will google, but would like to hear from someone who has done this, too.

TIA

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

there is some of your problem right there 4.3 put a lot of stuff in that pings your google account.  One of those apps is causing your troubles.

Mentor

• 

193 Messages

10 years ago

Huh? As stated, I don't have a google account.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

@BruceK123 wrote:

I've read that after a factory reset, whatever is on the external SD is no longer readable.   

Its helpful to reference where you have read these things, to make it easier to shoot them down.  🙂

Factory reset shouldn't effect the SD at all.  That said, I like to back up anything not easily replaceable (photos, etc.) before making any major changes to my phone . . .  just in case.

Also, you can always take the SD card out before you do the factory reset, to ensure it doesn't get modified in any way.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

@BruceK123 wrote:
Huh? As stated, I don't have a google account.

your lack of google account is causing some of your issues.  Those built in apps are looking for a google account.

and if you dont have a google account how are you getting apps from the play store?  it only works with a google account.

Mentor

• 

193 Messages

10 years ago

I doubt it.  I've never had a google account, mail or playstore, and my phone's always worked great until this 4.3 pushed update.  I used to love my S3.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

With 4.3 that could be part of the problem. And why have a Android phone and not use Google services. Just don't see the point

Mentor

• 

193 Messages

10 years ago

Good question. I've never really needed a phone for other than voice purposes. But, as phone technology advanced, I did like the email, camera, texting, browsing capability, and especially the ability to use the phone over my cars' bluetooth. But that's about it. None of these require Google services.  I don't care about social networking, and I'm not going to watch a movie or a baseball game on a phone screen.

I didn't buy an Android phone to use Google services. I know others that have Android phones, and don't have Google accounts.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

the sad thing is I see in the future android requiring a gmail account.  There are so many api's that depend on google accounts.  I've had a google account since the nexus 1.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.