The Samsung Galaxy S24
shmal96's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, July 25th, 2017 3:09 PM

How to use AT&T wifi calling on an unlocked phone?

So I currently have an AT&T plan with an AT&T LG G4. I just bought an unlocked Galaxy S8 from Samsungs Website, planning on using that to update my current AT&T line. After I bought it, I was reading up on unlocked phones because i didn't know much other than you can switch carriers if you want to (But i'm not planning on doing that, I just bought it because it was $30 cheaper than the ATT-version, plus it came in a color that wasn't available from the ATT-version. I came across many fourms saying that services such as Wi-fi calling wouldn't work with an unlocked phone on AT&T, and that stressed me out because I use that service a lot for texts in my work building b/c of spotty cell reception. 

I'm confused though because I called up AT&T and asked if i'd be able to use Wi-fi calling on this unlocked phone, and they said I can. They just said that i'll have to 'update the device information with the new one and set up the features on the device'. They also said the only situation that might affect the service is if the device is 'blacklisted', but it wasn't, so they said I'd be able to use 'all my services if the device information is correctly updated in our system'. I asked again for clarity if I can bring this unlocked phone to an ATT store and they can update my line and still be able to use Wi-fi calling, and they said that's correct, you just may need a new SIM card.

I'm confused because nowhere online in my research did I find anyone who was able to use unlocked phones with Wi-Fi calling, but those articles were at least a month old, so maybe they changed their policy? I made it as clear as possible what I was asking. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

Must be a branded device to use Voice Over LTE and features associated with it. Not sure who told you this but that's incorrect. Unlocked, non-branded phones can't use VOLTE (except for a handful of exceptions like non AT&T iPhones, HTC10 and I think Nexus 6P/5X).

• 

1 Message

What exactly is 'non-branded' device mean? Isn't Samsung Galaxy S10+ branded?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Yeah I just got off of a chat with them, saved the chat logs too. This is very frustrating that they give me straight up wrong information. Are you sure there's nothing they can do to 'activate' it? Is it possible they're going to allow it in the future? I don't see any reason why they won't do that.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Whether or not the phone is unlocked is irrelevant. Even unlocked, as long as it is the ATT branded version then wifi calling is supported. Perhaps the chat agent thought you had the ATT version

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@David606 wrote:

Must be a branded device to use Voice Over LTE and features associated with it. Not sure who told you this but that's incorrect. Unlocked, non-branded phones can't use VOLTE (except for a handful of exceptions like non AT&T iPhones, HTC10 and I think Nexus 6P/5X).

@David606

Nope nexus 6p/5x do not get Volte.  The honor 8 ZTE axom does get volte and so does the nokia 6

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:
Whether or not the phone is unlocked is irrelevant. Even unlocked, as long as it is the ATT branded version then wifi calling is supported. Perhaps the chat agent thought you had the ATT version

@sandblaster

that is the case I would say....

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@David606   The nexus 6p does not get VoLTE.   

@shmal96   HD voice/VoLTE/advanced calling is required for wifi calling to work.  Only iPhone 6 and newer iPhones, and certain ATT branded android phones are capable.  

The term unlocked obviously confused them person you spoke with.  They thought you meant 'carrier unlocked from ATT'.   When unlocked = non branded universal phones, they are not able to take advantage of branded phone features.  HD voice, wifi calling, number sync and Call protect are a few.  

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

@David606   The nexus 6p does not get VoLTE.   

@shmal96   HD voice/VoLTE/advanced calling is required for wifi calling to work.  Only iPhone 6 and newer iPhones, and certain ATT branded android phones are capable.  

The term unlocked obviously confused them person you spoke with.  They thought you meant 'carrier unlocked from ATT'.   When unlocked = non branded universal phones, they are not able to take advantage of branded phone features.  HD voice, wifi calling, number sync and Call protect are a few.  

@lizdance40

To correct you a little bit.  ENHANCED LTE SERVICES are required for HDvoice video calling wifi calling and advance messaging to work.  ATT has removed Volte from that since they allow it on a hand full of androdi devices now.  see list below.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40 That's probably it then, I didn't know there would be a difference when I used the term 'unlocked'. Yeah mine is purchased from Samsung.com unlocked. 

I guess i'll have to exchange this one then, too bad because I really like the color, but I don't want to suffer with lagging texts in the building I spend most of my time in for the next year. Thanks for the clarification. 

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

Yeah it's why I said "I think" haha.

VOLTE for non-branded devices may or may not be coming. I haven't heard anything about it myself.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

VoLTE is not wifi calling dumby

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

If you get stuck with a non branded phone or a plan without Wifi calling, and you absolutely must have WiFi calling, you can always consider Google Voice. If you must keep your current number, you can port your number to Google Voice, and get a new number for your plan. Google Voice can forward calls to your new number and no one will ever know you have a new number. The only draw back is you have to use Google Voice to do your messaging with the Google Voice number. With that you have to use either mobile data or Wifi.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.