The Samsung Galaxy S24
Whyisthishard's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, May 2nd, 2019 6:23 PM

How to update Android version on HTC One (M8)

Hi,

Per the title I have an HTC One (M8).

If I go to settings > about > software information => I find my phone is running Android version 4.4.2

If I go to my banking app, it tells me I need at least version 5.0 to run it properly, and the internet tells me that version 6.0 was released 3 years ago so I'd think I could upgrade to a newer version.

However, if I go to settings > AT&T software update, and hit 'check for updates', it tells me I have the latest version.

This is frustrating in that I am old and set in my ways and my current phone does more than I need so I don't want to change phones. Why can't I update my phone?

Thanks,

Kent L.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

5 years ago

AT&T Service isn't an app. I meant that you have to have wireless service (the ability to make and receive calls) on that phone through AT&T or AT&T won't send you the update. If that phone is only connected to Wi-Fi or has service through another carrier, you won't get the update.

By "factory reset," I meant to go to that setting and choose "reset" which will erase the phone. You'll have to restore it from a backup.

But again, it's hard to believe you've had this phone for five years and never updated the software. Even with the latest update, you'll find more and more apps will stop working. No smartphone lasts forever.

I also find it hard to believe you have a bank that doesn't allow you to manage your account through its website as opposed to an app.

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

5 years ago

Check the device memory, make sure you have active AT&T service on the phone, and make sure it's connected to Wi-Fi. Perform a factory data reset. Beyond that, there's not much that can be done. If you're on 4.4.2, that means the software on that 5-year-old phone has never been updated, so it's unlikely it ever will.

Edit Before Glimmerman: Of course, since it's out of warranty, you can try searching on Google for ways to update the software that aren't authorized through AT&T. You might succeed and squeeze a few more months out of it. If not, well, you needed a new phone anyway.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

HTC has dropped support for the phone...  You might find the files on the net BUT they may not flash.  That phone is pretty is easy to hack I had 2 that were play toys back when they were released and I was building custom roms.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for your advice.
I checked memory - I have ~18GB available I assume that is sufficient
I checked the apps on the phone - there is nothing called AT&T Service. I do have the following, all of which I disabled:AT&T LockerAT&T NavigatorAT&T Protect PlusAT&T Smart Wi-Fi
I am connected to Wi_fi
Under Backup and Reset, all I see is "Reset Phone" - is that what you meant by perform a factory data reset?
Thanks,Kent

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for your advice. It sounds like I should just give up on doing banking from my phone since I have no desire to buy another phone and do not have the expertise to fix this one.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks again,
Yes, I have AT&T service.
Yes, the Android OS was apparently never updated during the 5 years I had the phone. If I continually had to check for updates manually, I didn't - I assumed the phone would do so automatically.
I can do online banking from my computer, and I do. However, I use my phone to directly deposit checks by taking a picture of them. Perhaps I somehow can do that from my computer but right now I don't know how. Since there are only about 4 things I use my phone for (phone calls, texts, Waze, and depositing checks) it sort of hurts to lose one of the few things I think it is good for.
Finally, yes I know the service life of a phone is 3 to maybe 5 years (similar to the 20 or 30 computers I've owned), but I gotten tired of having to replace stuff simply because I can't update the OS anymore. I guess that's a sign of being old.
I will try to mark your response as solution and give you kudos, but I've never used this system before and am likely to screw it up.
Thanks,Kent
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.