For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Rgiamoni's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, July 19th, 2018 3:24 AM

How to unlock my phone

I'm trying to unlock my old prepaid phone. It hasn't been active other than using it with WiFi. I'd like to put a Sim from my assurance wireless phone in it. I'm not goigwith the technical things.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

Phones sold as prepaid phones must have active paid service on prepaid for 6 months before ATT will unlock the phone. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

This should be illegal.  It is MY PHONE!!! not ATT&T's.  NOTHING WAS SAID ABOUT THIS WHEN I BOUGHT THE PHONE.  I HAVE PREPAID.  I GOT A NEW PHONE AS OLD ONE WAS UNUSABLE.  I WANT TO CHANGE PROVIDERS BUT WON'T LET ME.  THIS IS LARCENY.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@admatin wrote:

This should be illegal.  It is MY PHONE!!! not ATT&T's.  NOTHING WAS SAID ABOUT THIS WHEN I BOUGHT THE PHONE.  I HAVE PREPAID.  I GOT A NEW PHONE AS OLD ONE WAS UNUSABLE.  I WANT TO CHANGE PROVIDERS BUT WON'T LET ME.  THIS IS LARCENY.  

Prepaid phones are sold way under cost.  All carriers do this and the FCC allows them to lock phones for up to 12 months to recoup the cost of the discounted phone.  

If you don’t like it, DON’T buy a carrier phone.  You’ll pay more for an unlocked phone, but it is unfettered and you can go when and where you like.  

Once you meet requirements for unlocking, you can request in the portal.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.