For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
comicalmoodydan's profile

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

Tuesday, September 18th, 2012 10:43 AM

How to unlock an android smart phone?

I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to. All I keep finding is information on unlocking the iPhone which I don't have an iPhone. I do have an android device though and in the future I was thinking of getting a T-Mobile prepaid SIM but I might like to exchange the SIM card between my T-Mobile and AT&T phone. I know my current phone on AT&T which is a Galaxy S2 Skyrocket will only work with an AT&T SIM card. I'd like to unlock it so I can use any SIM card. How can I do this and what is AT&T's policy on unlocking an android smart phone?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@comicalmoodydan wrote:

I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to. All I keep finding is information on unlocking the iPhone which I don't have an iPhone. I do have an android device though and in the future I was thinking of getting a T-Mobile prepaid SIM but I might like to exchange the SIM card between my T-Mobile and AT&T phone. I know my current phone on AT&T which is a Galaxy S2 Skyrocket will only work with an AT&T SIM card. I'd like to unlock it so I can use any SIM card. How can I do this and what is AT&T's policy on unlocking an android smart phone?

call in and talk to att, if the phone is eligible for unlock they will give you a code

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

I'm just baffled as why AT&T doesn't have the unlock policy of android smart phones online or an online form to do it like they do with the iPhone. Android is still the largest smart phone OS in the US so you'd figure AT&T would have a FAQ on the android policy as well as a link for the online request form like they do for the iPhone. I frankly wanted to look at the policy first before I bother calling them but if the policy is anything like the iPhone unlock policy my current phone would not qualify to be unlocked.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

12 years ago

@comicalmoodydan wrote:

I'm just baffled as why AT&T doesn't have the unlock policy of android smart phones online

Its simple:  Why would they want to advertise how to leave their cell service and use another?  The SIM lock exists for the same reason, they don't want to make it easy for you to switch carriers. 

If they have the information posted for the iPhone,[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

@redpoint73 wrote:

@comicalmoodydan wrote:

I'm just baffled as why AT&T doesn't have the unlock policy of android smart phones online

Its simple:  Why would they want to advertise how to leave their cell service and use another?  The SIM lock exists for the same reason, they don't want to make it easy for you to switch carriers. 

If they have the information posted for the iPhone,[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

T-Mobile's FAQ section displays the phone unlock policy. You can even chat with them online simply and request the code and they email it within a few days. I had T-Mobile in the past and requested the code online via a chat and the next day got the unlock code in my email. It was very simple and easy to do. AT&T though seems to make it a PAIN to unlock a phone. I'll call AT&T if I decide to do it but they really need a better way to do this and a simple FAQ online of the unlock policy would be great. I love AT&T I really do but gotta give them bad marks on phone unlocking, they just make it more dififcult than it could be.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

12 years ago

@comicalmoodydan wrote:

T-Mobile's FAQ section displays the phone unlock policy. You can even chat with them online simply and request the code and they email it within a few days. I had T-Mobile in the past and requested the code online via a chat and the next day got the unlock code in my email. It was very simple and easy to do. AT&T though seems to make it a PAIN to unlock a phone. I'll call AT&T if I decide to do it but they really need a better way to do this and a simple FAQ online of the unlock policy would be great. I love AT&T I really do but gotta give them bad marks on phone unlocking, they just make it more dififcult than it could be.

Why are people often so freaked out about just calling customer service?  None of us likes going throught phone menus and being on hold.  But in the time you made these posts, or searched the websites for an FAQ or webchat, you could have just called and gotten your answer, and the call is free.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

@comicalmoodydan wrote:

I'm just baffled as why AT&T doesn't have the unlock policy of android smart phones online or an online form to do it like they do with the iPhone. Android is still the largest smart phone OS in the US so you'd figure AT&T would have a FAQ on the android policy as well as a link for the online request form like they do for the iPhone. I frankly wanted to look at the policy first before I bother calling them but if the policy is anything like the iPhone unlock policy my current phone would not qualify to be unlocked.

The unlock policy varies by phone.  AT&T has one set policy for all iPhones.  However, there are different policies for different Android phones, so there wouldn't be one policy to post.  Calling in is your best option.

Scholar

• 

312 Messages

11 years ago

@21stNow wrote:

@comicalmoodydan wrote:

The unlock policy varies by phone.  AT&T has one set policy for all iPhones.  However, there are different policies for different Android phones, so there wouldn't be one policy to post.  Calling in is your best option.

Just saw this on the AT&T Public Policy Blog... http://attpublicpolicy.com/wireless/bottom-line-we-unlock-our-customers%E2%80%99-devices/?sf10255933=1

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

That is indeed a public relations statement if I ever saw one, and AT&T does not follow what is written in that statement on a consistent basis.

Scholar

• 

312 Messages

11 years ago

@21stNow wrote:

That is indeed a public relations statement if I ever saw one, and AT&T does not follow what is written in that statement on a consistent basis.

Can't hurt to try right? Smiley Happy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.