How to get my phone unlocked

Highlighted
Contributor

How to get my phone unlocked

Greetings.

I was recently on a family vacation in the USA from Australia. I purchased an Avail 2 z992 phone for myself and 3 other phones for each family member. We subscribed for pay as you go, so I paid the first month from 6th December then the second month from 5th January.

We returned to Australia after a great vacation on 16th January.

My phone was comfortable and easy to use, so I completed the online form to ask to get it unlocked, as I would like to use it in Australia, now we are back home (for local calls).

BUT I received a standard email stating it could not be blocked because of....a lot of criteria were listed.

I will not be renewing the subscription and I reside in Australia...so, come on....how about some good will and service and allow me to unlock it.

We will be returning to the USA for a future holiday at the end of 2015. So...which phone company will I use then?????

Who can I contact (a real person) so I can get my phone unlocked..rather than going through a website that does not allow me to explain the situation.

Hope someone can help me.

regards

Paul. 

Message 1 of 11 (10,653 Views)
Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author Paul Gysslink
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: How to get my phone unlocked


Paul Gysslink wrote:

Greetings.

I was recently on a family vacation in the USA from Australia. I purchased an Avail 2 z992 phone for myself and 3 other phones for each family member. We subscribed for pay as you go, so I paid the first month from 6th December then the second month from 5th January.

We returned to Australia after a great vacation on 16th January.

My phone was comfortable and easy to use, so I completed the online form to ask to get it unlocked, as I would like to use it in Australia, now we are back home (for local calls).

BUT I received a standard email stating it could not be blocked because of....a lot of criteria were listed.

I will not be renewing the subscription and I reside in Australia...so, come on....how about some good will and service and allow me to unlock it.

We will be returning to the USA for a future holiday at the end of 2015. So...which phone company will I use then?????

Who can I contact (a real person) so I can get my phone unlocked..rather than going through a website that does not allow me to explain the situation.

Hope someone can help me.

regards

Paul. 


I presume you have not had the phone for a minimum of six (6) months yet? If not, that is one of the eligible criteria listed below in order to allow your phone to be unlocked. Unfortunately, there are no exceptions to this policy. 

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/?

 

You may try to call 800-331-0500 from there in Australia, but it may be very expensive only to likely have a customer support representative tell you the same thing I have just stated. Your best bet would be to just keep the phone until you have had it for six months and then submit an unlock request form again. 

 

Hope this helps! 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 2 of 11 (10,523 Views)
Contributor

Re: How to get my phone unlocked

Thanks for the advise.



I will wait for 6 months and try again to get it unlocked.

Regards

Paul.
Message 3 of 11 (10,490 Views)
Professor

Re: How to get my phone unlocked

[ Edited ]

Wild Banchi wrote:

 

You may try to call 800-331-0500 from there in Australia, but it may be very expensive only to likely have a customer support representative tell you the same thing I have just stated. 


 

800 number typically only work inside the US.  AT&T support can be called at +1-916-843-4685.  Although I understand you are saying its not worth it to call.

 

Although, I have seen the Community Managers on these forums try to work with folks that live outside the US, and have purchased AT&T devices for use in their own countries.  So it seems that exceptions can be made in these circumstances.  The policy really exists to prevent the devices to be used on competitive US carriers, like T-Mobile.

Message 4 of 11 (10,454 Views)
Master

Re: How to get my phone unlocked


Paul Gysslink wrote:
Thanks for the advise.



I will wait for 6 months and try again to get it unlocked.

Regards

Paul.

You are welcome! I know it stinks that you must wait, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 5 of 11 (10,403 Views)
Master

Re: How to get my phone unlocked


redpoint73 wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

 

You may try to call 800-331-0500 from there in Australia, but it may be very expensive only to likely have a customer support representative tell you the same thing I have just stated. 


 

800 number typically only work inside the US.  AT&T support can be called at +1-916-843-4685.  Although I understand you are saying its not worth it to call.

 

Although, I have seen the Community Managers on these forums try to work with folks that live outside the US, and have purchased AT&T devices for use in their own countries.  So it seems that exceptions can be made in these circumstances.  The policy really exists to prevent the devices to be used on competitive US carriers, like T-Mobile.


Thanks for pointing that out, redpoint. I was not completely sure if 800 numbers worked outside the U.S., but now I know. 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 6 of 11 (10,400 Views)
Tutor

Re: How to get my phone unlocked

any solution for that problem ? i see a lot of posts from users coming from europe, india, australia - and no one should be able to unlock HIS OWN phone when he goes back to his resident country and tries to use the phone with his country-located provider ???

Message 7 of 11 (4,632 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: How to get my phone unlocked


mikeasboe wrote:

any solution for that problem ? i see a lot of posts from users coming from europe, india, australia - and no one should be able to unlock HIS OWN phone when he goes back to his resident country and tries to use the phone with his country-located provider ???


The solution is better education of the buyer since the policy itself is well documented. Buy non-carrier (ie, international, or world) unlocked devices if you need them to work in a country other than US, with a carrier other than AT&T, in a period shorter than your contract period. They are more expensive. This is why they are more expensive - they are not carrier subsidised.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 11 (4,604 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: How to get my phone unlocked

what are you talking about. if I buy a phone from att for full retail price its not subsidized. Buying a phone overseas maybe more or it may not. I got my s5 for less than the sale price in the USA. Even with the pound to dollar conversion
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 11 (4,596 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: How to get my phone unlocked


GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:
what are you talking about. if I buy a phone from att for full retail price its not subsidized. Buying a phone overseas maybe more or it may not. I got my s5 for less than the sale price in the USA. Even with the pound to dollar conversion

If you buy an AT&T branded phone, it's cheaper than a world phone. At least for every phone model I have every checked. In many cases its due to supporting fewer bands, but the point remains quite clear:

 

If you intend to run a phone primarily NOT on AT&T, there is no reason to buy an AT&T branded phone. If you do, expect issues.

 

Example of what I am talking about:

 

Galaxy S5s (got list price off Amazon)

Intenational - list $799

AT&T NO CONTRACT - list $699

AT&T Contract - list $150

 

There is a $100 difference in price (or $650 for the contract vs no contract world). The AT&T phones are less. But then, it's fairly well hamstrung to AT&T, since it runs the AT&T version of the firmware and will, for all time.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 11 (4,590 Views)
Contributor

Re: How to get my phone unlocked

Hi Folks,

 

it has been more than 6 months since I purchased the phone referred to in my original email.

I have requested the code to unlock the phone, today, only to receive the email reply "

We cannot complete your request for the following reason:

  • The information provided does not match the information on the account."

This is so frustrating.

 

Any suggestions please.

Message 11 of 11 (3,877 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.