The Samsung Galaxy S24
c2oncpr's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Thursday, May 17th, 2012 3:08 PM

How to disable Att Wifi auto connect on HTC Vivid

Does anyone know how to disable the auto-connect functionality that seems to be specially coded for AttWifi hotspots.  On my device, if wifi is enabled and my device sees any AttWifi hotspot, it will auto connect, no questions asked.  When in range or out of range, the AttWifi network will be listed with no "Forget" option.  No way to remove, no way to forget. 

The Att Smart Wifi app may offer some control over this behavior, but that app is not supported on the HTC Vivid.

ATT, have you coded to this behavior????

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

9 years ago

dealmaster00 wrote: "Never attribute to malice, that which can be attributed to ignorance."

If it were ignorance, the laws of chance would suggest that roughly half of the "missteps" would be in the customers' favor, and only about half would be to the customers' detriment. Sadly, every major cellular provider's change that I have noticed in the past 6-8 years or more has been to the customers' detriment- elimination of unlimited data plans, driving data overages by moving the Mobile Data toggle from the easily accessible home-screen drop-down settings area to a hidden location several menu layers deep in the Settings menus, kicking departing customers in the butt on their way out the door by billing them for an entire month's service when they only might have used 1-2 days of service in that billing period instead of prorating those 2 days the same way they did when the customer joined... the list just goes on and on.

So, while the presumption of ignorance rather than malice is probably a good general rule, in this case we're dealing with a company (actually, at least two similar companies- Verizon is just as bad) with a consistent track record of virtually EVERY change being to the customer's detriment, together with an easily-discernible profit motive, combined with a demonstrated willingness to ride roughshod over customers in the pursuit of one more dime on the quarterly revenue report.

So, sadly, I have to stand by my opinion that the presumption of greed-driven malice is justified with the major phone companies, based on their own track records of indifference, if not hostility, toward customers and their needs.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Once my contract is up with AT&T I will be moving on from it's service, I been with AT&T for 14 years, the wifi auto connect is the last straw, I can't live with this problem and their high bill I pay for it.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@crivera01

Uninstall or turn off the AT&T smart wifi app on your device.

It is an optional service, that is not activated unless you open the app and agree to terms of service.

The availability of the service is to reduce your cellular data use, you do not pay extra for its use. It is a free option to consuming your data plan.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

i cant get my wifi to work for password or network name 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.