The Samsung Galaxy S24
c2oncpr's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Thursday, May 17th, 2012 3:08 PM

How to disable Att Wifi auto connect on HTC Vivid

Does anyone know how to disable the auto-connect functionality that seems to be specially coded for AttWifi hotspots.  On my device, if wifi is enabled and my device sees any AttWifi hotspot, it will auto connect, no questions asked.  When in range or out of range, the AttWifi network will be listed with no "Forget" option.  No way to remove, no way to forget. 

The Att Smart Wifi app may offer some control over this behavior, but that app is not supported on the HTC Vivid.

ATT, have you coded to this behavior????

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

12 years ago

Does anyone at ATT monitor these forums?  I see there's been nearly 1000 views on this post and no replies.  This is still an issue for me.  I've heard the same complaint from users of other devices.  I think ATT is responsible for this behavior.  Why is this being done?  Is this implementation spurred by the need to reduce network saturation?

Mentor

• 

72 Messages

12 years ago

my gs2 has checkbox in wifi settings for auto connect to att hotspot. just uncheck it.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

12 years ago

@c2oncpr wrote:

Why is this being done?  Is this implementation spurred by the need to reduce network saturation?

Yup, that's exactly it.  AT&T WiFi Hotspots mostly exist to relieve congestion on their cell network.  You can look in settings (as noted in a previous response) to see if there is a way to shut it off.  But for most AT&T smartphones, you are locked out from changing this, and can't turn it off without root.

Mentor

• 

72 Messages

12 years ago

also if running ics (stock) u can disable att hotspots. menu, apps, all apps, att hotspots, uninstall updates if needed, disable. yay!

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

12 years ago

I wrote a letter to ATT on this issue and was contacted by the Office of the President.  I carefully presented my case and why I felt the decision to make any wifi connect should be my own, especially on an "open" network.  My concerns were dismissed and I was directed to the Usage Agreement, where it speaks on using the WiFi feature.  Sorry, I don't recall the paragraph.  But after reading, it was apparant to me that it didn't apply to ATT's decision to auto-connect me to any "attwifi" named network, much less remove all control over this behavior short of turning off wifi.  The person didn't give me any reasonable explanation as to why this is being done, just that it is and that I've agreed to it by accepting the "Usage Agreement".  THIS IS ABSURD!!!   ATT, you shouldn't be making such a decision for your customer.  Give us back control.  Remove the special "attwifi" connection logic and make your hotspots work the same as all other wifi connections.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

I just got an LG Optimus G. If you're referring to the ATT Smart Wifi app then I agree not only is it more trouble than it's worth but also nobody at AT&T will even entertain the possibility the app may be broken. What I was able to do avoid it was I requested a replacement phone through a trouble ticket. When I got the replacement phone I opened the Smart Wifi app and declinced the user agreement. It doesn't load and I no longer have any problems. With the exception of a couple for glitches where wifi says it's optaining an IP adress but instead it's non-responsive. At this point I reboot my phone and problem solved. I guess science aint an exact science.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

No, there is no way to disable it, not even under settings.  HTC Vivid is running Android OS, and the ATTWIFI hotspot can not be removed or disabled, so far as I can tell.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

11 years ago

Could I get the name and address of the Office of the President? I asked customer service for it and they wouldn't give it to me.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

I think it can only be disabled with root.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

I took the time to write a letter to the corportate address listed on the website.  They will respond to the type of correspondence if it is written resectfully, no flameing.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.