Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 17, 2012
8:08:15 AM
View profile
How to disable Att Wifi auto connect on HTC Vivid

Does anyone know how to disable the auto-connect functionality that seems to be specially coded for AttWifi hotspots.  On my device, if wifi is enabled and my device sees any AttWifi hotspot, it will auto connect, no questions asked.  When in range or out of range, the AttWifi network will be listed with no "Forget" option.  No way to remove, no way to forget. 

The Att Smart Wifi app may offer some control over this behavior, but that app is not supported on the HTC Vivid.

ATT, have you coded to this behavior????

Does anyone know how to disable the auto-connect functionality that seems to be specially coded for AttWifi hotspots.  On my device, if wifi is enabled and my device sees any AttWifi hotspot, it will auto connect, no questions asked.  When in range or out of range, the AttWifi network will be listed with no "Forget" option.  No way to remove, no way to forget. 

The Att Smart Wifi app may offer some control over this behavior, but that app is not supported on the HTC Vivid.

ATT, have you coded to this behavior????

How to disable Att Wifi auto connect on HTC Vivid

21 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(21)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2012 12:04:24 PM
(0)
Tutor

Does anyone at ATT monitor these forums?  I see there's been nearly 1000 views on this post and no replies.  This is still an issue for me.  I've heard the same complaint from users of other devices.  I think ATT is responsible for this behavior.  Why is this being done?  Is this implementation spurred by the need to reduce network saturation?

Does anyone at ATT monitor these forums?  I see there's been nearly 1000 views on this post and no replies.  This is still an issue for me.  I've heard the same complaint from users of other devices.  I think ATT is responsible for this behavior.  Why is this being done?  Is this implementation spurred by the need to reduce network saturation?

Re: How to disable Att Wifi auto connect on HTC Vivid

2 of 22 (26,877 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2012 6:51:40 PM
(0)
Mentor
my gs2 has checkbox in wifi settings for auto connect to att hotspot. just uncheck it.
my gs2 has checkbox in wifi settings for auto connect to att hotspot. just uncheck it.

3 of 22 (26,863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2012 6:47:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Aug 2, 2012 at 7:00:16 AM

c2oncpr wrote:

Why is this being done?  Is this implementation spurred by the need to reduce network saturation?

Yup, that's exactly it.  AT&T WiFi Hotspots mostly exist to relieve congestion on their cell network.  You can look in settings (as noted in a previous response) to see if there is a way to shut it off.  But for most AT&T smartphones, you are locked out from changing this, and can't turn it off without root.

c2oncpr wrote:

Why is this being done?  Is this implementation spurred by the need to reduce network saturation?

Yup, that's exactly it.  AT&T WiFi Hotspots mostly exist to relieve congestion on their cell network.  You can look in settings (as noted in a previous response) to see if there is a way to shut it off.  But for most AT&T smartphones, you are locked out from changing this, and can't turn it off without root.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: HTC inspire phone issues and service

[ Edited ]
4 of 22 (26,853 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2012 10:47:06 PM
(0)
Mentor
also if running ics (stock) u can disable att hotspots. menu, apps, all apps, att hotspots, uninstall updates if needed, disable. yay!
also if running ics (stock) u can disable att hotspots. menu, apps, all apps, att hotspots, uninstall updates if needed, disable. yay!

5 of 22 (26,823 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2012 12:15:36 PM
(0)
Tutor

I wrote a letter to ATT on this issue and was contacted by the Office of the President.  I carefully presented my case and why I felt the decision to make any wifi connect should be my own, especially on an "open" network.  My concerns were dismissed and I was directed to the Usage Agreement, where it speaks on using the WiFi feature.  Sorry, I don't recall the paragraph.  But after reading, it was apparant to me that it didn't apply to ATT's decision to auto-connect me to any "attwifi" named network, much less remove all control over this behavior short of turning off wifi.  The person didn't give me any reasonable explanation as to why this is being done, just that it is and that I've agreed to it by accepting the "Usage Agreement".  THIS IS ABSURD!!!   ATT, you shouldn't be making such a decision for your customer.  Give us back control.  Remove the special "attwifi" connection logic and make your hotspots work the same as all other wifi connections.

I wrote a letter to ATT on this issue and was contacted by the Office of the President.  I carefully presented my case and why I felt the decision to make any wifi connect should be my own, especially on an "open" network.  My concerns were dismissed and I was directed to the Usage Agreement, where it speaks on using the WiFi feature.  Sorry, I don't recall the paragraph.  But after reading, it was apparant to me that it didn't apply to ATT's decision to auto-connect me to any "attwifi" named network, much less remove all control over this behavior short of turning off wifi.  The person didn't give me any reasonable explanation as to why this is being done, just that it is and that I've agreed to it by accepting the "Usage Agreement".  THIS IS ABSURD!!!   ATT, you shouldn't be making such a decision for your customer.  Give us back control.  Remove the special "attwifi" connection logic and make your hotspots work the same as all other wifi connections.

6 of 22 (26,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2012 12:51:09 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just got an LG Optimus G. If you're referring to the ATT Smart Wifi app then I agree not only is it more trouble than it's worth but also nobody at AT&T will even entertain the possibility the app may be broken. What I was able to do avoid it was I requested a replacement phone through a trouble ticket. When I got the replacement phone I opened the Smart Wifi app and declinced the user agreement. It doesn't load and I no longer have any problems. With the exception of a couple for glitches where wifi says it's optaining an IP adress but instead it's non-responsive. At this point I reboot my phone and problem solved. I guess science aint an exact science.

I just got an LG Optimus G. If you're referring to the ATT Smart Wifi app then I agree not only is it more trouble than it's worth but also nobody at AT&T will even entertain the possibility the app may be broken. What I was able to do avoid it was I requested a replacement phone through a trouble ticket. When I got the replacement phone I opened the Smart Wifi app and declinced the user agreement. It doesn't load and I no longer have any problems. With the exception of a couple for glitches where wifi says it's optaining an IP adress but instead it's non-responsive. At this point I reboot my phone and problem solved. I guess science aint an exact science.

7 of 22 (25,660 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2012 3:12:36 PM
(0)
Tutor

No, there is no way to disable it, not even under settings.  HTC Vivid is running Android OS, and the ATTWIFI hotspot can not be removed or disabled, so far as I can tell.

No, there is no way to disable it, not even under settings.  HTC Vivid is running Android OS, and the ATTWIFI hotspot can not be removed or disabled, so far as I can tell.

8 of 22 (25,314 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2013 6:57:09 PM
(0)
Teacher
Could I get the name and address of the Office of the President? I asked customer service for it and they wouldn't give it to me.
Could I get the name and address of the Office of the President? I asked customer service for it and they wouldn't give it to me.

9 of 22 (25,110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2013 7:12:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I think it can only be disabled with root.

I think it can only be disabled with root.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 22 (25,055 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2013 2:03:02 PM
(0)
Tutor

I took the time to write a letter to the corportate address listed on the website.  They will respond to the type of correspondence if it is written resectfully, no flameing.

I took the time to write a letter to the corportate address listed on the website.  They will respond to the type of correspondence if it is written resectfully, no flameing.

11 of 22 (25,036 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2013 2:08:03 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by jamileh on Jan 2, 2013 at 2:11:12 PM

You may be right.  

<CM Edit>

You may be right.  

<CM Edit>

[ Edited ]
12 of 22 (25,034 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2013 2:40:57 PM
(0)
Teacher

I actually got a call from AT&T as a result of my postings and it was very favorable!  Thank you, AT&T.  Smiley Happy

I actually got a call from AT&T as a result of my postings and it was very favorable!  Thank you, AT&T.  Smiley Happy

13 of 22 (25,011 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2013 4:33:38 PM
(0)
Tutor
If I may ask, what was your concern and what was the response ?
If I may ask, what was your concern and what was the response ?

14 of 22 (24,209 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2013 12:56:04 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by HoggyDog on Sep 14, 2013 at 3:21:18 PM

Our first month with AT&T on a pair of Galaxy S4's, we overran our data allowance. This got me into checking data usage carefully to identify the culprits. Guess what? AT&T Smart Wifi is the number one cellular-data user this month!

Apparently, AT&T Smart Wifi needs two data-consuming things to work: your exact location (GPS) which forces continual Maps downloads over the cellular data network, and a continuous location-driven download of nearby AT&T Hotspot locations! Astoundingly, the phones do this EVEN WITH MOBILE DATA TURNED OFF TO PREVENT USING DATA ALLOWANCES!!!!! So the app that is supposed to be SAVING me from using my cell data allowance is actually burning it up!

After reading this and several other forums, I have disabled both AT&T Wifi and AT&T Hotspots, I wish I could uninstall them (without rooting my phone), but I guess the data overages that these apps generate give AT&T too much of a $$ incentive for them to allow mere customers to remove this bloatware.

Our first month with AT&T on a pair of Galaxy S4's, we overran our data allowance. This got me into checking data usage carefully to identify the culprits. Guess what? AT&T Smart Wifi is the number one cellular-data user this month!

Apparently, AT&T Smart Wifi needs two data-consuming things to work: your exact location (GPS) which forces continual Maps downloads over the cellular data network, and a continuous location-driven download of nearby AT&T Hotspot locations! Astoundingly, the phones do this EVEN WITH MOBILE DATA TURNED OFF TO PREVENT USING DATA ALLOWANCES!!!!! So the app that is supposed to be SAVING me from using my cell data allowance is actually burning it up!

After reading this and several other forums, I have disabled both AT&T Wifi and AT&T Hotspots, I wish I could uninstall them (without rooting my phone), but I guess the data overages that these apps generate give AT&T too much of a $$ incentive for them to allow mere customers to remove this bloatware.

[ Edited ]
15 of 22 (20,115 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 1:16:28 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by dealmaster00 on Feb 19, 2014 at 1:26:43 PM

Hello everyone! I have figured out how to remove the attwifi network from your phone! Please note, this requires that you have your phone rooted. Please be careful following the instructions below, and always make a backup of anything you change! I am not responsible for any damage to your phone, and rooting your phone may void the warranty (although it is typically reversable).

I use a different phone (LG G2 running stock android 4.2, rooted), but I would think these instructions would work for you too. Even with auto-connect to ATT hotspots disabled, my phone still auto-connected to "attwifi" hotspots, which was so annoying it motivated me to figure out how to disable it!  Here are the steps I took:

0.) Root your phone. xda-developers forum would have specific instructions for how to do this with your particular Android phone.

1.) Get a text editor capable of running as root (I used 920 text editor, there is a permissions issue with it though that I detail later).

2.) Open /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf using your text editor. Make a backup of this file while you're at it.

3.) Find the 'attwifi' entry and rename it (I renamed it to 'attwifi2'.) You could also probably remove the entry but I didn't try that.

4.) Turn off and turn on Wifi
* Note, I couldn't turn on wifi at first once I changed wpa_supplicant's conf file. It turned out to be a permission issue - my text editor did not save the file with the correct permissions. I had to run 'chmod 777 /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf' in a terminal window to give permissions back (it probably just needs chmod 666. One way to get to a terminal is to download the "Terminal Emulator" app).

5.) Find 'attwifi2' in your saved wifi list and 'forget network'. It should now be forgetten. There is no more attwifi or attwifi2.

If this doesn't work for you, then you are probably using a different version of android where the conf file is in a different path. Try grepping for attwifi via a terminal window. If something goes terribly wrong with your phone, run 'dmesg' in a terminal window to see the system log - this could give you a clue as to what is going wrong. Best of luck!

Hello everyone! I have figured out how to remove the attwifi network from your phone! Please note, this requires that you have your phone rooted. Please be careful following the instructions below, and always make a backup of anything you change! I am not responsible for any damage to your phone, and rooting your phone may void the warranty (although it is typically reversable).

I use a different phone (LG G2 running stock android 4.2, rooted), but I would think these instructions would work for you too. Even with auto-connect to ATT hotspots disabled, my phone still auto-connected to "attwifi" hotspots, which was so annoying it motivated me to figure out how to disable it!  Here are the steps I took:

0.) Root your phone. xda-developers forum would have specific instructions for how to do this with your particular Android phone.

1.) Get a text editor capable of running as root (I used 920 text editor, there is a permissions issue with it though that I detail later).

2.) Open /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf using your text editor. Make a backup of this file while you're at it.

3.) Find the 'attwifi' entry and rename it (I renamed it to 'attwifi2'.) You could also probably remove the entry but I didn't try that.

4.) Turn off and turn on Wifi
* Note, I couldn't turn on wifi at first once I changed wpa_supplicant's conf file. It turned out to be a permission issue - my text editor did not save the file with the correct permissions. I had to run 'chmod 777 /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf' in a terminal window to give permissions back (it probably just needs chmod 666. One way to get to a terminal is to download the "Terminal Emulator" app).

5.) Find 'attwifi2' in your saved wifi list and 'forget network'. It should now be forgetten. There is no more attwifi or attwifi2.

If this doesn't work for you, then you are probably using a different version of android where the conf file is in a different path. Try grepping for attwifi via a terminal window. If something goes terribly wrong with your phone, run 'dmesg' in a terminal window to see the system log - this could give you a clue as to what is going wrong. Best of luck!

[ Edited ]
16 of 22 (13,785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 1:18:27 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by dealmaster00 on Feb 19, 2014 at 1:18:54 PM

HoggyDog wrote:

Never attribute to malice, that which can be attributed to ignorance.

(also, see my reply above on how to fix the issue)

HoggyDog wrote:

Never attribute to malice, that which can be attributed to ignorance.

(also, see my reply above on how to fix the issue)

[ Edited ]
17 of 22 (13,784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2014 6:37:32 PM
(0)
Contributor
OK guys... I've been there: absolutely livid about a decision that a company made because I'm not happy with it. Sometimes poor judgment, service or quality. Sometimes just an attempt at saving themselves money, time or other resources. And plant of times I complained and wondered why the company did nothing.
OK guys... I've been there: absolutely livid about a decision that a company made because I'm not happy with it. Sometimes poor judgment, service or quality. Sometimes just an attempt at saving themselves money, time or other resources. And plant of times I complained and wondered why the company did nothing.

OK guys... I've been there: absolutely livid about a deci...

18 of 22 (5,890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2014 6:38:16 PM
(0)
Contributor
But let's think about this from ATT's perspective...

19 of 22 (5,889 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2014 6:43:46 PM
(0)
Contributor
... Forgive me, this forum apparently treats a line break as me saying 'post it'. So AT&T sees an opportunity to both save money and make cash.... The next thing they do is talk about how much it will cost them (I'm terms of lost customers, bad rep, etc.) to do whatever it is they are thinking about. Next they consider how much more hey will save or make. Now there can be plenty of argument over all of this and they may end up going with an invalid calculation but at the end of day it's a simple math problem: do what makes more money. A million happy customers is no good if you're not making money. A hundred customers is great if you're making more money than you expected...
... Forgive me, this forum apparently treats a line break as me saying 'post it'. So AT&T sees an opportunity to both save money and make cash.... The next thing they do is talk about how much it will cost them (I'm terms of lost customers, bad rep, etc.) to do whatever it is they are thinking about. Next they consider how much more hey will save or make. Now there can be plenty of argument over all of this and they may end up going with an invalid calculation but at the end of day it's a simple math problem: do what makes more money. A million happy customers is no good if you're not making money. A hundred customers is great if you're making more money than you expected...

... Forgive me, this forum apparently treats a line break...

20 of 22 (5,882 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2014 10:52:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Daved31415 wrote:
... Forgive me, this forum apparently treats a line break as me saying 'post it'. 

No it doesn't.  You can hit "Enter" all you want on your computer keyboard to create a line break, if that is what you are referring to.  It won't post until you click "Post Reply".

You can also click "post options" and delect Edit to revise your previous posts.

Daved31415 wrote:
... Forgive me, this forum apparently treats a line break as me saying 'post it'. 

No it doesn't.  You can hit "Enter" all you want on your computer keyboard to create a line break, if that is what you are referring to.  It won't post until you click "Post Reply".

You can also click "post options" and delect Edit to revise your previous posts.

Re: ... Forgive me, this forum apparently treats a line break...

21 of 22 (5,845 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2015 11:39:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

dealmaster00 wrote: "Never attribute to malice, that which can be attributed to ignorance."

If it were ignorance, the laws of chance would suggest that roughly half of the "missteps" would be in the customers' favor, and only about half would be to the customers' detriment. Sadly, every major cellular provider's change that I have noticed in the past 6-8 years or more has been to the customers' detriment- elimination of unlimited data plans, driving data overages by moving the Mobile Data toggle from the easily accessible home-screen drop-down settings area to a hidden location several menu layers deep in the Settings menus, kicking departing customers in the butt on their way out the door by billing them for an entire month's service when they only might have used 1-2 days of service in that billing period instead of prorating those 2 days the same way they did when the customer joined... the list just goes on and on.

So, while the presumption of ignorance rather than malice is probably a good general rule, in this case we're dealing with a company (actually, at least two similar companies- Verizon is just as bad) with a consistent track record of virtually EVERY change being to the customer's detriment, together with an easily-discernible profit motive, combined with a demonstrated willingness to ride roughshod over customers in the pursuit of one more dime on the quarterly revenue report.

So, sadly, I have to stand by my opinion that the presumption of greed-driven malice is justified with the major phone companies, based on their own track records of indifference, if not hostility, toward customers and their needs.

dealmaster00 wrote: "Never attribute to malice, that which can be attributed to ignorance."

If it were ignorance, the laws of chance would suggest that roughly half of the "missteps" would be in the customers' favor, and only about half would be to the customers' detriment. Sadly, every major cellular provider's change that I have noticed in the past 6-8 years or more has been to the customers' detriment- elimination of unlimited data plans, driving data overages by moving the Mobile Data toggle from the easily accessible home-screen drop-down settings area to a hidden location several menu layers deep in the Settings menus, kicking departing customers in the butt on their way out the door by billing them for an entire month's service when they only might have used 1-2 days of service in that billing period instead of prorating those 2 days the same way they did when the customer joined... the list just goes on and on.

So, while the presumption of ignorance rather than malice is probably a good general rule, in this case we're dealing with a company (actually, at least two similar companies- Verizon is just as bad) with a consistent track record of virtually EVERY change being to the customer's detriment, together with an easily-discernible profit motive, combined with a demonstrated willingness to ride roughshod over customers in the pursuit of one more dime on the quarterly revenue report.

So, sadly, I have to stand by my opinion that the presumption of greed-driven malice is justified with the major phone companies, based on their own track records of indifference, if not hostility, toward customers and their needs.

22 of 22 (4,523 Views)