The Samsung Galaxy S24
halfmoonboy181's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, August 1st, 2012 4:00 AM

High battery usage % on standby

I'm having really high battery usage due to standby.  Pushing around 50%.  Thats with gps, wifi, all apps closed out.  Not sure what to do to improve battery life.  Runs down to 5% from 99% in 9 to 10 hrs, with medium to lite use.  Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

3K Messages

12 years ago

@halfmoonboy181 wrote:

I understand that and am thankful for the response.  But what I'm getting at is with 50% battery usage being standby, you would think the battery would last a lot longer than 10 hrs.  Their specs show it should, and I know others were having issues also. 

The only specs that manufacturers typically give for battery time, is with the phone in airplane mode, so the specs mean nothing.  If your cell reception is good (and you mention it is) other factors may be at play, such as frequent  and large volume email push, a runaway process(or processes) or just a defective battery or phone.

First try the easy stuff, like checking push and other synching.  Turn the screen brightness of "auto" and pick something around 40-50%.  I know mentioned you don't think this is the culprit.  But try it anyway.  Even with light use, I've had my battery time increase by 30% by doing this.

If none of this works, do a factory reset (be warned that you will lose any data that is not backed up).  If that still doesn't help, try a warranty replacement.

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

12 years ago

Check the display setting. How bright is your screen on the sliding scale?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

Those #s are with auto adjustment on, but I don't see how that would make the standby usage so high.  The screen usage is only showing 15 to 20 % on battery usage.

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

12 years ago

I guess that a totally idle phone will have a very high % on standby.

To evaluate battery usage, there has to be a point of reference, like another phone of the same make and model. Another reference could be manufacturer's spec such as battery standby time and talk time.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

12 years ago

If a WiFi network is available, it actually uses less battery to leave WiFi on.  Otherwise any auto-synching or the phone just looking for the network will be done off the cell network (instead of WiFi), which uses much more power.

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

12 years ago

Redpoint73 is right. WiFi uses less power than cellular radio.

If your phone displays 1 bar while idling in a drawer, it could drain the battery fast. It would be better to move the phone near a window so that you have more bars.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

I understand that and am thankful for the response.  But what I'm getting at is with 50% battery usage being standby, you would think the battery would last a lot longer than 10 hrs.  Their specs show it should, and I know others were having issues also.  I can't use wifi at work but my phone runs full bars on service.  I will say one thing I have noticed, my galaxy s3 doesn't pick up my wifi signal as good as my iphone 4 did.  Oh well.  Not switching back,  Android is awesme.  They broke a iphone fanboy.     Thanks again for the responses

Mentor

• 

72 Messages

12 years ago

have u gone through any full charge cycles? run battery till shutdown and charge phone copletely while it is off 3-4 times or so. this help my gs2 everynow and then.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

just once or twice on the cycling. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Is this your problem also?

Cell standby draiing battery

Cell standby is driaing the battery life on my Samsung S6 Edge Plus.  Its draining approximately 10% an hour.  

I went under Settings - Connections - Wi-Fi - More - Advanced - and selected Never under the Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep - all other selections are on the Off position.

What else can I do?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.