The Samsung Galaxy S24
fwempa's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, April 5th, 2011 1:37 AM

Hey ATT... Why you force bloatware on me?

I would really love an answer to a valid question.  Why do you (ATT) force this bloatware on us?  I can see putting that crap on my phone from factory, a la Microshaft.  But why do you require us to go to the extreme length of rooting our phones, thus violating your usage terms?  I bought this phone and I alone should decide which apps I would like to install.  It is why I changed to Android in the first place.  I suppose I should have done more thorough research.  Short of a solution from you (ATT), I eventually will root my phone so that I can decide what is on it.  You would do much better with the more tech savvy client, if you just made quality apps and allowed the market to decide.  Alas, it is YOU that is forcing my hand into rooting.  I am patiently waiting a more stable ROM and then off to rootville.  An ATT store rep told me today that there is indeed a way to remove these bloatware apps.  He was told or shown at a training seminar, but stopped short of showing me.  It can apparantly be done though, and I am hoping someone on here will show the way.  Even though I love this phone, I would prefer a jailbroken iPhone to it.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

13 years ago

@davidusr wrote:
I figured they would come back after a reboot, but they didn't. Not showing anywhere on the phone...and im not routed...yet.

On the Atrix, right?

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

Launcher Pro will hide the apps from the app drawer too. I have used it for several months.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

13 years ago

I have read alot, I thought, about rooting.  It always involved a custom ROM (to me).  You just gave me a Eureka moment.  If I understand you correctly, I can just get root access (rooting) and keep all else stock?  So far, I am not unhappy with most stock features, it is just the bloatware that I would love to get rid of.  Rooting alone may be my answer.  I can always experiment in the future, once rooted, with custom ROMs, radios, etc.

Why do so many use custom ROMs?  What is the benefit of that?  Rooting alone seems like such a perfect solution to me.  Am I missing something?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks redpoint73,

You have given me a clear understanding of the Android scene in just a couple posts.  I appreciate you info.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

How can I root my LG Pheonix 2 ?

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

Discussion of rooting methods are not allowed on these forums. Google it.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

I'm going to chime in on this old, old topic. First of all, you may own the hardware but you do not own the software. You are subject to the license terms. If you buy a branded phone, you're going to get branded apps. You accept the software terms and conditions which state you may not alter, reverse engineer or tamper with that software. The Android installation on a branded phone cannot be owned by the end user. Your possession of the hardware grants you the right to use it....in it's current state. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@David606 wrote:

I'm going to chime in on this old, old topic. First of all, you may own the hardware but you do not own the software. You are subject to the license terms. If you buy a branded phone, you're going to get branded apps. You accept the software terms and conditions which state you may not alter, reverse engineer or tamper with that software. The Android installation on a branded phone cannot be owned by the end user. Your possession of the hardware grants you the right to use it....in it's current state. 

@David606

Im also going to state that this is being looked into by the FCC and FTC as its getting old.  Now I can understand there reasons for not allowing root or bootloader unlocks but they WILL have to at some point provide unlocking like HTC does and it will tell you your warranty is dead.  A rooted phone does not comprimise the network period.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.