The Samsung Galaxy S24
mhtal3at's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, November 9th, 2013 7:58 PM

Help Needed. I want to buy Samsung Captivate Glide legally in Egypt.

I really want to buy the Samsung Captivate Glide and I heard it can only be bought through AT&T. I tried to reach the AT&T customer support but I can only reach them if I have an account (should be having a wireless number!). I sent a message to Samsung to help me buy it legally and they told me to contact AT&T again and that they dould do nothing. I have been trying to buy this phone, believe it or not, for over a year now.

After days of concentrated searching I found that I could register to this forum and reach you without any need of a wireless number and here I am and here is my story.

I love Samsung Captivate Glide and I want to buy it but the thing here is that I am from Egypt and AT&T has no branches here. There are many ways to buy it illegally online but I would not do that as the phone might end up being locked forever, not to mention that buying things online is not as safe as buying them from a trusted place.

Please help me. I want to buy it in Egypt and only you monopolize it. Trust me, I deserve this phone because I really want it. I deserve it more than those who could buy it just because they were settled in the States or Canada. Please be considerate and allow me to buy it legally through you. You can do it. I can have it.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

The Samsung Captivate Glide does not have to be purchased directly through AT&T. There are many online sites listing the phone for sale, as indicated below. Ordering through AT&T would probably be the preferred method, yes, but it does not have to be unless there are stipulations regarding illegal shipment from third party sources in Egypt? Be sure that the phone is UNLOCKED. It cannot be factory locked to AT&T. Otherwise, it will not be compatible with your carrier in Egypt.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007BIJJRO

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/samsung-captivate-glide-unlocked

Just be sure that your carrier in Egypt is able to support these cellular bands:
GSM 850/900/1800/1900 (Quadband) WCDMA (UMTS) 850/1900/2100

Otherwise, the phone may not work to its full potential.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I want to thank you for your reply. I have checked before and now. The phone has "AT&T"" written abocve the screen and the comments mention that they can work if you have an AT&T sim card. Other wise, you it will be locked (even though the seller says it is unlocked). Even worse, after you update the software it turns to be locked again. And it might be bought without a contract which is illegal.

This is why I am asking AT&T to help me.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

Buying a phone without a contract tied to it is not illegal here in the U.S. I have purchased one directly through AT&T without a contract and four other smartphones without one, either. I am aware of how much you like the phone, so personally, if I were you, I would buy the unlocked phone anyway and just roll with it. It may be locked again if you choose to upgrade the software, but if given the choice, I would simply choose not to upgrade. I remember reading that with the Android OS, people were forced to update the software on their phones because their phones did it automatically, so it's kind of risky.

I don't know of any other way to obtain the phone besides having somebody here in the U.S. get it for you, unlock it, and ship it to you. I doubt AT&T would do anything helpful regarding the situation either because you are not a U.S. customer, but you can still try!

Your best bet is to send a private message at the URL below if you would like further assistance from AT&T.
http://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you so much 🙂 I sent them. Cannot thank you enough 🙂

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

You're welcome! Glad I could point you in the right direction.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

@mhtal3at wrote:

Trust me, I deserve this phone because I really want it. I deserve it more than those who could buy it just because they were settled in the States or Canada. 

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that English is not your native language, and that you didn't really mean what you typed.  Because it sounds awfully arrogant to say you deserve something more than someone else.  This is not like a starving person trying to get food.  You aren't going to die without it.  This is just a phone, and nobody "deserves" it more than anyone else.

Also, it a 2 year old phone, not a particularly popular one (even at its release) and its coming up on AT&T's website for me as "not available in your area", so AT&T might not even be selling it anymore.

Personally, I'd consider another phone.  As smartphone technology has changed quite a bit in 2 years.  And I remember this phone when it came out, it was not even the best phone around for its time.

Regardless, if you still want it and  AT&T doesn't carry it or won't sell it to you, there are plenty of online dealers that are reputable.  One I would recommend is Negri.  I've used them before, and other smartphone fans here and on other forums have used them with success.  They aren't the cheapest, but I found they had great customer support, and a good return policy.  They are a reputable dealer, ship to just about any country, and you would get the phone already SIM unlocked.

There are other reputable dealers, I'm sure.  But Negri is one I can personally recommend.

http://negrielectronics.com/samsung-i927-captivate-glide-at-t-black-unlocked.html#.UoPXoflcjr4

Also, there is apparently a Rogers version.  But probably just the same phone, for more money:

http://negrielectronics.com/samsung-sgh-i927-captivate-glide-rogers-unlocked-black.html#.UoPXoPlcjr4

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

@mhtal3at wrote:

I want to thank you for your reply. I have checked before and now. The phone has "AT&T"" written abocve the screen and the comments mention that they can work if you have an AT&T sim card. Other wise, you it will be locked (even though the seller says it is unlocked). Even worse, after you update the software it turns to be locked again. 

This is incorrect.  SIM unlock survives a software update.  

If the seller claims its SIM unlocked, and you find its not unlocked when it arrives, then its fraud.  Just make sure you deal with a vendor that is reputable, and a transaction which allows you to get a refund if the merchandise is not as described.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.