The Samsung Galaxy S24
chrisayrer's profile

Mentor

• 

21 Messages

Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 12:58 PM

HTC one X butchered by AT&T

Dear AT&T , basic features of my phone have been removed by your developers like the FM radio, voice recorder , an app called mirror and a few others. I know the hardware for the FM radio exists and works fine in the device and the other apps can be seen if a 3rd party launcher is used such as go launcher or nova launcher. Why has ATT taken away these basic apps, Is there a reason. The only reason I can see for the FM radio is to increase data use by forcing people to use the included tunein radio. As I have said I know for a fact the hardware exists and the software works fine. Any explanation as to why you are doing this to your customers.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

12 years ago

AT&T has been doing this for years.  It makes them money.  Who are you to question to great and powerful Oz? 😉

Professor

• 

3K Messages

12 years ago

@chrisayrer wrote:

The only reason I can see for the FM radio is to increase data use by forcing people to use the included tunein radio.

That's exactly the reason.  You are correct, the hardware is there, but AT&T had HTC strip out the required system files.  Therefore, root is the only way to make the FM radio work.

Why they hid or removed things like Flashlight (completely removed?), Polaris Office (not in the app drawer but will launch if you try to open MS Office  files), and the Stocks app (not in app drawer, but widget is present, and will launch the app) is more puzzling. 

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

12 years ago

It really baffles me too...they are money hogs...but I say as long as your on Wifi you should be good, and besides TuneIn Radio is awesome

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I agree completely!!!  I actually think it should be illegal, because it can be a hazard for their customers.  I say this because i have used the fm radio that came with my htc inspire during a tornado, but with my new phone that htc has had them butcher, I will not be able to get my updates unless i have service (which went down in my area during the tornado).  As they are butchering these phones for their own benefit, i think if someone is injured because of the lack of this service, they should be able to sue at&t for removing such a potentially vital app.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

@redpoint73 wrote:

@chrisayrer wrote:

The only reason I can see for the FM radio is to increase data use by forcing people to use the included tunein radio.

That's exactly the reason.  You are correct, the hardware is there, but AT&T had HTC strip out the required system files.  Therefore, root is the only way to make the FM radio work.

Why they hid or removed things like Flashlight (completely removed?), Polaris Office (not in the app drawer but will launch if you try to open MS Office  files), and the Stocks app (not in app drawer, but widget is present, and will launch the app) is more puzzling. 

Thanks.  You made me glad that I got the international version of the One X!

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@21stNow wrote:
Thanks.  You made me glad that I got the international version of the One X!

Buggy Tegra 3 chipset and no LTE?  No thanks.  And S4 version also gets better battery life.  I'll take the AT&T version.  All the meddling by AT&T is just software based, and easily fixed with root.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@jkhman wrote:

I agree completely!!!  I actually think it should be illegal, because it can be a hazard for their customers.  I say this because i have used the fm radio that came with my htc inspire during a tornado, but with my new phone that htc has had them butcher, I will not be able to get my updates unless i have service (which went down in my area during the tornado).  As they are butchering these phones for their own benefit, i think if someone is injured because of the lack of this service, they should be able to sue at&t for removing such a potentially vital app.

If the phone is not advertised to have FM radio, that cannot in any way be "illegal".  Not anymore illegal than your microwave oven not having an FM radio (since its not advertised to have FM radio either). If you assume it was supported by the phone, and you now have buyer's remorse, than its your fault for not properly researching before buying the phone.

No offense intended, Its just a peeve of mine when people just start flinging statements about things being illegal and threatening to sue (with no real basis), just because they don't like something.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.