The Samsung Galaxy S24
rebelchik1409's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 11:57 PM

HTC inspire vs. Blackberry torch?

Im new to the whole smartphone thing & was wanting some advice on which phone you like better, like cell reception, battery life, call quality etc. i like the looks of both of them so its hard for me to decide when i have never owned a blackberry or htc. please help!

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

@rebelchik1409 wrote:

Im new to the whole smartphone thing & was wanting some advice on which phone you like better, like cell reception, battery life, call quality etc. i like the looks of both of them so its hard for me to decide when i have never owned a blackberry or htc. please help!

I see you've chose a very bright color to accent your post... 😉

You're in a tough decision, no doubt. I like both phones, but would actually prefer the Inspire over the Torch. The Inspire has a very nice screen, as well as an 8MP camera with flash. However, battery life and speaker loudness seem to be an issue for Inspire users, as shown in this post... http://forums.att.com/t5/HTC/Inspire-4G-Speaker-Loudness/m-p/2685837#M133599

Call quality/reception in general doesn't seem to be the best on the Inspire, either. Shown in this post, here... http://forums.att.com/t5/HTC/Inspire-reception/m-p/2682747#M133516

The Inspire is a "4G" phone, which is supposed to operate at quicker speeds than regular 3G. Although, some reports have said that it's technically just a regular 3G phone, altogether...

I do not know much about the Torch, but I like the touch screen option on it, especially for a BlackBerry. The slide-down QWERTY is a nice combination to the touch screen. If you plan to do a lot of typing/messaging on your new phone, most people I know would recommend the Torch. I, myself though, have found it easier to type on touch screen QWERTY keyboards rather than buttons. That's just my preference, though.

I hope this helps.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

13 years ago

If your workplace does not employ Blackberry enterprise servers for email, there is little reason to have a Blackberry, IMO.  Android is a much better operating system (the OS on the Inspire).  Much more modern, with better design and interface, and many customization options.  Android also has much better support from software developers.  The Android Market has over 250,000 apps versus around 16,000 for Blackberry.  That means lots more useful tools and utilities, as well as games.

RIM (maker of Blackberry phones) is really struggling to try to catch up to Google/Android and Apple in terms of the interface and usability of their phones.    Engadget describes the latest Blackberry OS as "a fresh coat of paint on an aging user experience." It also described the Torch as "sluggish, underpowered, and dated from a hardware design standpoint."

You should also go to an ATT store and ask to compare them in person.  Huge difference in the physical design.  The Torch is very plastic and cheap feeling, while the Inspire is a gorgeous and sturdy brushed aluminum unibody construction.  Yes, the Torch has a hardware keyboard.  But the way they have designed the slider is not good.  The keys are set in the  "concave" shaped bottom half of the phone.  I felt like I was trying to type on keys located on the bottom of a dish.  Its awkward feeling, and a poor design choice.

The only thing the Torch has going for it, is the fact its a Blackberry.  If your workplace forces you to be tethered to the Blackberry email system, then the Torch would be your best choice.  If that's not the case, there are better smartphone options.

Also, if you are a user of Google products (like Gmail, Google Calendar, Maps, etc.) then Android is a no brainer.  The integration of Google products into Android is amazing, and they work better there than on any other type of smartphone.  Its great to be able to just buy an Android phone, slip in your SIM card, enter your Google login; and in a couple minutes all your contacts, email, and calendar are just THERE.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

i think im pretty much sold on the inspire! thank you!

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

@rebelchik1409 wrote:

i think im pretty much sold on the inspire! thank you!

Good choice. 😉

And you're welcome...?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.