The Samsung Galaxy S24
propofokgov's profile

Scholar

• 

191 Messages

Monday, January 23rd, 2012 1:44 PM

HTC Vivid - Rebooting phone resets my sound settings.

After looking & testing & formating the SD card, I cannot find a solution to my issue.  I was wondering if anyone else was having this issue / found a fix for it?

Every time I reboot my device, all of my ringtones, notification tones, & alarm tones get reset to something that is already on the device (i.e.: the ringtone will become set to "AT&T Ringtone").  I've tried formating my SD card which had no effect, & I can't seem to find anyone else on XDA that has had this issue with this device.

Suggestions?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

211 Messages

12 years ago

I have an HTC Vivid and have customized many tones.

In fact, I liked my old Nokia N97 tones for alarms, etc. so much that I bluetoothed them over to my Vivid when I first set it up.

There is an "anomaly" with the boot process on the Vivid in that sometimes the external SD card does not get "mounted" fast enough during boot, so things installed there might get reset during the boot process.

So...store your ringtones on the internal SD card.

Then make them accessible as selectable tones, by:

Loading the Music app

Navigate to the sound/tone

Press Menu->More->Set as Ringtone

Then select 1 of the 3 choices:  Phone ringtone, Contact ringtone or Notification Sound

This adds the sound to the choices available when you adjust them in Settings.

So far I have not experienced your problem, but the boot process sometimes makes some apps which don't install the default locations like other apps, lose their individual icons--and the default Android icon is displayed in their place.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

191 Messages

12 years ago

I found the solution to my issue.  The issue was caused by the speed of my microSD card.  It was only a class 2 card, so the phone had a hard time reading the information soon enough before boot.  I recently moved all my files over to a class 10, 32GB MicroSD card & have yet to expeirecne the issue again.

Never will I purchase slow memory cards again! :-?

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

12 years ago

Well, how do you find out the type of class a memory SD card is? Getting ready to update Vivid.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

12 years ago

@htc-davis wrote:
Well, how do you find out the type of class a memory SD card is? Getting ready to update Vivid.

Its often marked on the packaging, or on the card itself.  If you buy from a good source like Newegg, they clearly state the class on the webpage (Newegg has great prices and customer service, too). 

Be careful of buying from eBay, or any website or seller that you aren't completely sure of its reputation.   MicroSD cards are one of the most counterfeited electronic items on the market, with fakes often misrepresenting class, capacity and brand.  I'd stay away from eBay altogether, as I've seen many reports of people that ended up with counterfeit junk.  Buy from a place like Newegg, unless you know what you are looking at, have solid recommendations, etc.

Also recommend buying a well-know brand, rather than an off-brand with good specs on paper.  I always stick with Sandisk, and would rather buy a Class 4 or 6 from them, than a Class 10 card from some unknown off-brand.  Cheaper brands tend to work fine, then fail after a few months.  Where I've owned Sandisk cards as far back as 5 years, that are still working great.

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

12 years ago

Ok, thank you for the info! The download went threw great, nothing wrong so far. Loving the ability to disable apps, and the customizations. Havent tryed the face-unlock yet. The phone seems to be 3 times faster than before the update. Very responsive. Pulling more mbps on hsdpa than before also.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Has anyone had any problems pulling up their text msgs after the update? Everytime I click on the button, it says please wait & takes a long time

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

12 years ago

No sir, heres a thought, switch your APN, because all the vivids came with a regular locked APN and switching to a diff could help. Its the truth, ive been testing diff APN's.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.