Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 22, 2012
1:53:13 PM
View profile
HTC Vivid - Android 4.0 ICS Update now available!

Hi folks!

If you read the title, then you guessed it, the Android 4.0 (code name Ice Cream Sandwich) is now available for HTC Vivid users starting today! After installing the software update, customers can now enjoy the optimized audio experience of Beats by Dr. Dre Audio™ and new and improved HTC Sense™ experience. Smiley Happy

The update can be downloaded via Wi-Fi but before installing, make sure to back up your important information and have at least 50% battery power remaining! Smiley Wink

Full information on the AT&T Corporate News Page

Enjoy!

~ Evandela ~

~Sunshine Smiley Happy

Hi folks!

If you read the title, then you guessed it, the Android 4.0 (code name Ice Cream Sandwich) is now available for HTC Vivid users starting today! After installing the software update, customers can now enjoy the optimized audio experience of Beats by Dr. Dre Audio™ and new and improved HTC Sense™ experience. Smiley Happy

The update can be downloaded via Wi-Fi but before installing, make sure to back up your important information and have at least 50% battery power remaining! Smiley Wink

Full information on the AT&T Corporate News Page

Enjoy!

~ Evandela ~

~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

HTC Vivid - Android 4.0 ICS Update now available!

48 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(48)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2012 4:22:50 PM
(0)
Mentor

I ran the wifi update and it told me there was an update and to download it

then it said it would have to restart to install it and it froze on the htc screen

I pulled the battery and tied it again ,same thing

I ran the wifi update and it told me there was an update and to download it

then it said it would have to restart to install it and it froze on the htc screen

I pulled the battery and tied it again ,same thing

Re: HTC Vivid - Android 4.0 ICS Update now available!

2 of 49 (6,213 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2012 6:14:41 PM
(0)
Contributor

got error server unavailable Smiley Sad

got error server unavailable Smiley Sad

3 of 49 (6,179 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2012 11:20:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Hi bigcid10.

Uh oh, that's not good! I would try downloading the update on your PC and install it through there. Instructions are in the Corporate News Page as well in my opening post. Smiley Wink

---
Hi htccccc.

It's most likely due to server overload. Smiley Wink I would say try again later or alternatively download the update on your PC and install it from there. Smiley Wink

Hope that helps you both!

Posted from my iPhone 4S on AT&T, the nation's fastest 4G network.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Hi bigcid10.

Uh oh, that's not good! I would try downloading the update on your PC and install it through there. Instructions are in the Corporate News Page as well in my opening post. Smiley Wink

---
Hi htccccc.

It's most likely due to server overload. Smiley Wink I would say try again later or alternatively download the update on your PC and install it from there. Smiley Wink

Hope that helps you both!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 49 (6,116 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2012 3:47:55 PM
(0)
Tutor

5 of 49 (6,027 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2012 7:46:36 AM
(0)
Scholar

I had no problem downloading it when it was available...it just too a l-o-n-g time to download and an even longer time to analyzer and configure all 167 of my apps before it finally rebooted.  Even the reboot is longer.

Afterwards however--the speed improvement on the OS is remarkable in just about every built-in app.

Other "improvements" to the built-in apps abound, but there are a few things that instead "confound".

For example, on the PIN-number unlock screen they decided to move the "OK" from the left-hand side to the right, causing you to inadvertently backspace when you thought you were touching on the "OK".  It takes some getting used-to.

Also, on some of the prompts through-out they moved the "Ok" from the left to the right, so you'll need to reach each notification carefully before selecting.

A "feature" that I don't really like is that some icons completely disappear against the background--most notably iHeartRadio.  The Weatherbug display in the notification pull-down disappears as the app has black text which is hidden in the now-black background.

The "folder" icon has now been modified to show up to four small shotdown icons of the first items inside the folder instead of showing a folder.  The screens are now even more resembling the description "angry fruit salad" that was coined years ago to describe a screen which has too many icons to be easy to scan.

The new floating icon bar that follows all screens give you access to four apps and the overall apps button from every home screen.

Speaking of home screens--if you don't want all 7 screens in Sense 3, you can even delete them now (or add them back in if desired).

Overalll I think it a good improvement to the OS.

Side problems that have caused a little concern so far...the WiFi has failed to show available WiFi networks saying "not in range" even when they are really there.  Turning WiFi off for a few seconds and turning it back on seems to clear the problem.

Status screens are more improved, but it means that you'll have to hunt for the features you accessed frequently before, because they may be grouped elsewhere.

I had no problem downloading it when it was available...it just too a l-o-n-g time to download and an even longer time to analyzer and configure all 167 of my apps before it finally rebooted.  Even the reboot is longer.

Afterwards however--the speed improvement on the OS is remarkable in just about every built-in app.

Other "improvements" to the built-in apps abound, but there are a few things that instead "confound".

For example, on the PIN-number unlock screen they decided to move the "OK" from the left-hand side to the right, causing you to inadvertently backspace when you thought you were touching on the "OK".  It takes some getting used-to.

Also, on some of the prompts through-out they moved the "Ok" from the left to the right, so you'll need to reach each notification carefully before selecting.

A "feature" that I don't really like is that some icons completely disappear against the background--most notably iHeartRadio.  The Weatherbug display in the notification pull-down disappears as the app has black text which is hidden in the now-black background.

The "folder" icon has now been modified to show up to four small shotdown icons of the first items inside the folder instead of showing a folder.  The screens are now even more resembling the description "angry fruit salad" that was coined years ago to describe a screen which has too many icons to be easy to scan.

The new floating icon bar that follows all screens give you access to four apps and the overall apps button from every home screen.

Speaking of home screens--if you don't want all 7 screens in Sense 3, you can even delete them now (or add them back in if desired).

Overalll I think it a good improvement to the OS.

Side problems that have caused a little concern so far...the WiFi has failed to show available WiFi networks saying "not in range" even when they are really there.  Turning WiFi off for a few seconds and turning it back on seems to clear the problem.

Status screens are more improved, but it means that you'll have to hunt for the features you accessed frequently before, because they may be grouped elsewhere.

6 of 49 (5,969 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2012 1:52:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Hi rdcinchou. Smiley Happy

Thanks for your sharing your experiencing your update experience and views on ICS! It sounds like the update is awesome but with some minor bugs! Smiley Tongue

Any one else experiencing similar issues?

~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Hi rdcinchou. Smiley Happy

Thanks for your sharing your experiencing your update experience and views on ICS! It sounds like the update is awesome but with some minor bugs! Smiley Tongue

Any one else experiencing similar issues?

7 of 49 (5,957 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2012 2:28:50 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hello. I too am having problems with the new update. I tried to do it via wi-fi yesterday and it said Error: Server Unavailable. & now I have been trying for the past hour to do it via the computer. The file has downloaded, but when I double click on it...nothing! Is it something that I am doing wrong?

Hello. I too am having problems with the new update. I tried to do it via wi-fi yesterday and it said Error: Server Unavailable. & now I have been trying for the past hour to do it via the computer. The file has downloaded, but when I double click on it...nothing! Is it something that I am doing wrong?

8 of 49 (5,947 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2012 5:53:49 PM
(0)
Scholar

I did my update OTA (Over The Air) by using the Settings->Check for Updates feature.

As with any update...it is best to leave it alone and let it do its job, otherwise you might have to reset your phone to factory condition and start all over again.

BTW...my Weatherbug had a configuration setting which let me choose the text color, so that problem is gone.

Something else I noticed is that while my photos and videos didn't get erased during the upgrade, I seem to have lost one of my alarm tone files.  The upgrade reset all things (ringtone, notification tones, etc) to the defaults for their default Sound theme.  It takes a good bit of effort to set things back to the way I had them (and continue to want them--my alarm tones and ringtone are from my old Nokia N97).

I did my update OTA (Over The Air) by using the Settings->Check for Updates feature.

As with any update...it is best to leave it alone and let it do its job, otherwise you might have to reset your phone to factory condition and start all over again.

BTW...my Weatherbug had a configuration setting which let me choose the text color, so that problem is gone.

Something else I noticed is that while my photos and videos didn't get erased during the upgrade, I seem to have lost one of my alarm tone files.  The upgrade reset all things (ringtone, notification tones, etc) to the defaults for their default Sound theme.  It takes a good bit of effort to set things back to the way I had them (and continue to want them--my alarm tones and ringtone are from my old Nokia N97).

9 of 49 (5,939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2012 5:55:53 PM
(0)
Scholar
Another app that has stopped working with the upgrade is CalWidget. Any attempt to call it up results in an application lock-up.

A good feature of the new OS is that unresponding apps can be flagged and killed.
Another app that has stopped working with the upgrade is CalWidget. Any attempt to call it up results in an application lock-up.

A good feature of the new OS is that unresponding apps can be flagged and killed.

10 of 49 (5,938 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2012 10:56:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Hi Msjazz05,

It could be a server overload when you tried downloading OTA. A good thing to do is try again later Smiley Happy Let is know how it goes!

---
Hello again rdcinhou,

Since ICS is a very recent update, developers may not yet have developed applications that are compatible with 4.0 yet. Hopefully they address that soon! Smiley Happy

The app closer on ICS is magnificent from what I've heard Smiley Happy it also let's the user control data consumption by apps as well! Smiley Happy Hands down my favorite feature in ICS that I've read about.

~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Hi Msjazz05,

It could be a server overload when you tried downloading OTA. A good thing to do is try again later Smiley Happy Let is know how it goes!

---
Hello again rdcinhou,

Since ICS is a very recent update, developers may not yet have developed applications that are compatible with 4.0 yet. Hopefully they address that soon! Smiley Happy

The app closer on ICS is magnificent from what I've heard Smiley Happy it also let's the user control data consumption by apps as well! Smiley Happy Hands down my favorite feature in ICS that I've read about.

11 of 49 (5,674 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2012 4:43:40 AM
(0)
Scholar
So do i need to take my sd card out for this download?? Do i need to write down all my contacts??
So do i need to take my sd card out for this download?? Do i need to write down all my contacts??

12 of 49 (5,668 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2012 5:42:49 AM
(0)
Scholar
So for the ICS update on the vivid should the sd card be removed??
So for the ICS update on the vivid should the sd card be removed??

13 of 49 (5,662 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2012 6:13:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Hi htc-davis,

No, you do not need to remove the SD card from your device. Smiley Happy

~ Evandela ~
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Hi htc-davis,

No, you do not need to remove the SD card from your device. Smiley Happy

~ Evandela ~

14 of 49 (5,657 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2012 6:29:53 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

htc-davis wrote:

Write down all your contacts, seriously?  In this day and age?

Update should not affect personal data.

But if your contacts are on Gmail (the way Android is meant to be used) it doesn't even matter.  All your contacts are saved to the cloud.  Even in the case of a factory reset, all your contacts will just auto-magically sync after the reset.

htc-davis wrote:

Write down all your contacts, seriously?  In this day and age?

Update should not affect personal data.

But if your contacts are on Gmail (the way Android is meant to be used) it doesn't even matter.  All your contacts are saved to the cloud.  Even in the case of a factory reset, all your contacts will just auto-magically sync after the reset.

15 of 49 (5,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2012 6:32:04 AM
(0)
Scholar
Ok thankyou. One more ? Do i just let the phone reboot itself and not mess with it until its said done or complete
Ok thankyou. One more ? Do i just let the phone reboot itself and not mess with it until its said done or complete

16 of 49 (5,651 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2012 8:09:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

htc-davis wrote:

Why, is it frozen on the bootscreen or something?  It takes longer to boot when updating, but shouldn't be more than several (5, 10 minutes tops) minutes.

In general, you should never mess with the device while its updating.

htc-davis wrote:

Why, is it frozen on the bootscreen or something?  It takes longer to boot when updating, but shouldn't be more than several (5, 10 minutes tops) minutes.

In general, you should never mess with the device while its updating.

17 of 49 (5,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2012 9:37:21 AM
(0)
Scholar
Just downloaded the ICS for vivid. Very nice. Much faster so far, snappy little thing. Good job At&t.
Just downloaded the ICS for vivid. Very nice. Much faster so far, snappy little thing. Good job At&t.

18 of 49 (5,636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2012 4:33:00 PM
(0)
Scholar
I to had no problems downloading it threw wifi. It took prolly 30minutes. The best thing about the update is being able to disable apps. Also the response of the phone now. It is incredible.
I to had no problems downloading it threw wifi. It took prolly 30minutes. The best thing about the update is being able to disable apps. Also the response of the phone now. It is incredible.

19 of 49 (5,617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2012 11:02:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Awesome to hear your enjoying ICS on the HTC VIvid so far htc-davis! Smiley Happy

~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Awesome to hear your enjoying ICS on the HTC VIvid so far htc-davis! Smiley Happy

20 of 49 (5,606 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2012 4:51:17 PM
(0)
Scholar

A follow-up to prior posts....

Calwidget works if you delete the previous wideget and reinstall it.

Somehow the iHeartRadio app icon came back after I mounted my ext_sd.  The update dismounted that drive.

The WiFi connection problem is actually part of a *NEW* feature to conserve power--it defaults to turning WiFi "off" when "sleeping", but somehow the default WiFi button widget still shows WiFi as on (it really isn't--this is a *BUG*).  The workaround was to turn WiFi off and then on again and you would find your access point.  I found the location to configure WiFi to automatically discover and now it's back to full functionality again.

More comments: 

Browser seems a lot better speed-wise and rendering of displays.

Email format seems better as well compared to before.

A follow-up to prior posts....

Calwidget works if you delete the previous wideget and reinstall it.

Somehow the iHeartRadio app icon came back after I mounted my ext_sd.  The update dismounted that drive.

The WiFi connection problem is actually part of a *NEW* feature to conserve power--it defaults to turning WiFi "off" when "sleeping", but somehow the default WiFi button widget still shows WiFi as on (it really isn't--this is a *BUG*).  The workaround was to turn WiFi off and then on again and you would find your access point.  I found the location to configure WiFi to automatically discover and now it's back to full functionality again.

More comments: 

Browser seems a lot better speed-wise and rendering of displays.

Email format seems better as well compared to before.

21 of 49 (5,680 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2012 6:27:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Interesting, thanks for that update rdcinhou!

How about the battery life on the HTC Vivid? Do you find it as improved? What was it like before? Does it last significantly longer?

While running on LTE, is better as well?

~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Interesting, thanks for that update rdcinhou!

How about the battery life on the HTC Vivid? Do you find it as improved? What was it like before? Does it last significantly longer?

While running on LTE, is better as well?

22 of 49 (5,673 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 3:46:08 PM
(0)
Scholar
Redpoint73, you asked if the phone was frozen, no sir! I was meaning while its updating, i should just let it reboot itself. I dont even know why i asked such a question. Common sense.

Thankyou Evandela!
Redpoint73, you asked if the phone was frozen, no sir! I was meaning while its updating, i should just let it reboot itself. I dont even know why i asked such a question. Common sense.

Thankyou Evandela!

23 of 49 (5,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 6:27:39 PM
(0)
Teacher

I downloaded it last night by just using the "AT&T Software Update" icon in the Settings menu.  No problems so far.  It seems to run faster...not so much the internet but the phone itself...it changes between screens very fast...a noticeable difference.  As someone noted some of the icons disappear but the name of the program remains so the program is identifiable. I only had two..gmail and iheartradio.  Just delete them, then add them back.

One thing that is annoying...when restarting the phone you get the message "Android is Updating" then it runs a count of the number of applications on your phone.  Since, I don't have a lot, it doesn't take very long, but I could see if you have a lot of applications it might take awhile to restart.

But so far so good.

I downloaded it last night by just using the "AT&T Software Update" icon in the Settings menu.  No problems so far.  It seems to run faster...not so much the internet but the phone itself...it changes between screens very fast...a noticeable difference.  As someone noted some of the icons disappear but the name of the program remains so the program is identifiable. I only had two..gmail and iheartradio.  Just delete them, then add them back.

One thing that is annoying...when restarting the phone you get the message "Android is Updating" then it runs a count of the number of applications on your phone.  Since, I don't have a lot, it doesn't take very long, but I could see if you have a lot of applications it might take awhile to restart.

But so far so good.

24 of 49 (5,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 7:12:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
My pleasure htc-davis Smiley Happy

Do you folks notice a difference in battery life? Better or worse? Is it by a lot? Smiley Happy

~Sunshine Smiley Happy
My pleasure htc-davis Smiley Happy

Do you folks notice a difference in battery life? Better or worse? Is it by a lot? Smiley Happy

25 of 49 (5,645 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2012 11:25:21 AM
(0)
Scholar
Yes, a big difference in better battery life. I charge mine once every 36 hours so far. And the internet on mine is so fast, unbelievable.
Yes, a big difference in better battery life. I charge mine once every 36 hours so far. And the internet on mine is so fast, unbelievable.

26 of 49 (5,634 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2012 1:29:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Awesome to hear Smiley Happy how often did you charge before? Less than 24 hours? How about everyone else? You all can weigh in too!

Posted from my iPod Touch.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Awesome to hear Smiley Happy how often did you charge before? Less than 24 hours? How about everyone else? You all can weigh in too!

Posted from my iPod Touch.

27 of 49 (5,632 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2012 3:00:46 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by tallison7 on Mar 29, 2012 at 3:05:21 PM

Same thing just happened to me.  I'm reading all the mentioned solutions but the screen on mine is so frozen I have no where to turn but drive straight to the AT&T store and ask them to fix it...

Same thing just happened to me.  I'm reading all the mentioned solutions but the screen on mine is so frozen I have no where to turn but drive straight to the AT&T store and ask them to fix it...

[ Edited ]
28 of 49 (5,625 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2012 3:04:15 PM
(0)
Scholar

Really, about every 20-24 depending on the usage.

Really, about every 20-24 depending on the usage.

29 of 49 (5,623 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2012 3:08:18 PM
(0)
Scholar

Question?? I accidentally hit full site on this site threw my cell phone, and now i havent been able to find the option to switch back to "mobile view"..... anybody know where to find the option for this.

Question?? I accidentally hit full site on this site threw my cell phone, and now i havent been able to find the option to switch back to "mobile view"..... anybody know where to find the option for this.

30 of 49 (5,622 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments