The Samsung Galaxy S24
Rayosun's profile

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

Thursday, March 22nd, 2012 8:53 PM

HTC Vivid - Android 4.0 ICS Update now available!

Hi folks!

If you read the title, then you guessed it, the Android 4.0 (code name Ice Cream Sandwich) is now available for HTC Vivid users starting today! After installing the software update, customers can now enjoy the optimized audio experience of Beats by Dr. Dre Audio™ and new and improved HTC Sense™ experience. 🙂

The update can be downloaded via Wi-Fi but before installing, make sure to back up your important information and have at least 50% battery power remaining! 😉

Full information on the AT&T Corporate News Page

Enjoy!

~ Evandela ~

~Sunshine :)

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

12 years ago

I ran the wifi update and it told me there was an update and to download it

then it said it would have to restart to install it and it froze on the htc screen

I pulled the battery and tied it again ,same thing

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

got error server unavailable 😞

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

12 years ago

Hi bigcid10.

Uh oh, that's not good! I would try downloading the update on your PC and install it through there. Instructions are in the Corporate News Page as well in my opening post. 😉

---
Hi htccccc.

It's most likely due to server overload. 😉 I would say try again later or alternatively download the update on your PC and install it from there. 😉

Hope that helps you both!

Posted from my iPhone 4S on AT&T, the nation's fastest 4G network.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Scholar

• 

211 Messages

12 years ago

I had no problem downloading it when it was available...it just too a l-o-n-g time to download and an even longer time to analyzer and configure all 167 of my apps before it finally rebooted.  Even the reboot is longer.

Afterwards however--the speed improvement on the OS is remarkable in just about every built-in app.

Other "improvements" to the built-in apps abound, but there are a few things that instead "confound".

For example, on the PIN-number unlock screen they decided to move the "OK" from the left-hand side to the right, causing you to inadvertently backspace when you thought you were touching on the "OK".  It takes some getting used-to.

Also, on some of the prompts through-out they moved the "Ok" from the left to the right, so you'll need to reach each notification carefully before selecting.

A "feature" that I don't really like is that some icons completely disappear against the background--most notably iHeartRadio.  The Weatherbug display in the notification pull-down disappears as the app has black text which is hidden in the now-black background.

The "folder" icon has now been modified to show up to four small shotdown icons of the first items inside the folder instead of showing a folder.  The screens are now even more resembling the description "angry fruit salad" that was coined years ago to describe a screen which has too many icons to be easy to scan.

The new floating icon bar that follows all screens give you access to four apps and the overall apps button from every home screen.

Speaking of home screens--if you don't want all 7 screens in Sense 3, you can even delete them now (or add them back in if desired).

Overalll I think it a good improvement to the OS.

Side problems that have caused a little concern so far...the WiFi has failed to show available WiFi networks saying "not in range" even when they are really there.  Turning WiFi off for a few seconds and turning it back on seems to clear the problem.

Status screens are more improved, but it means that you'll have to hunt for the features you accessed frequently before, because they may be grouped elsewhere.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

12 years ago

Hi rdcinchou. 🙂

Thanks for your sharing your experiencing your update experience and views on ICS! It sounds like the update is awesome but with some minor bugs! 😛

Any one else experiencing similar issues?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Hello. I too am having problems with the new update. I tried to do it via wi-fi yesterday and it said Error: Server Unavailable. & now I have been trying for the past hour to do it via the computer. The file has downloaded, but when I double click on it...nothing! Is it something that I am doing wrong?

Scholar

• 

211 Messages

12 years ago

I did my update OTA (Over The Air) by using the Settings->Check for Updates feature.

As with any update...it is best to leave it alone and let it do its job, otherwise you might have to reset your phone to factory condition and start all over again.

BTW...my Weatherbug had a configuration setting which let me choose the text color, so that problem is gone.

Something else I noticed is that while my photos and videos didn't get erased during the upgrade, I seem to have lost one of my alarm tone files.  The upgrade reset all things (ringtone, notification tones, etc) to the defaults for their default Sound theme.  It takes a good bit of effort to set things back to the way I had them (and continue to want them--my alarm tones and ringtone are from my old Nokia N97).

Scholar

• 

211 Messages

12 years ago

Another app that has stopped working with the upgrade is CalWidget. Any attempt to call it up results in an application lock-up.

A good feature of the new OS is that unresponding apps can be flagged and killed.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

12 years ago

Hi Msjazz05,

It could be a server overload when you tried downloading OTA. A good thing to do is try again later 🙂 Let is know how it goes!

---
Hello again rdcinhou,

Since ICS is a very recent update, developers may not yet have developed applications that are compatible with 4.0 yet. Hopefully they address that soon! 🙂

The app closer on ICS is magnificent from what I've heard 🙂 it also let's the user control data consumption by apps as well! 🙂 Hands down my favorite feature in ICS that I've read about.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.