The Samsung Galaxy S24
rdcinhou's profile

Scholar

• 

211 Messages

Wednesday, December 28th, 2011 6:46 PM

HTC Sense Login for Vivid users?

So far the AT&T-branded HTC Vivid has been out for almost a month and yet Vivid users cannot login to HTC Sense to get more widgets, ringtones, etc.  The Vivid is not in the drop-down list for registration and trying to register directly from the phone always fails.

I've written to HTC Sense about it  and so far all I've received is an acknowledgement.

I wonder if the AT&T lock-down is going to keep Vivid users from being able to take advantage of the HTC offerings?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

211 Messages

12 years ago

***UPDATE***

HTC Sense website now has a selection for the Vivid--so one may sign up for the service and access the content.

Comment:

Yes, while the contents of the HTC Hub and HTC Sense site may be considered "fluff", a non-functional "feature" is still a non-functional feature.

As long as AT&T asks premium prices for smartphones (instead of just giving them away), consumers have every right to complain when features do not work as advertised.  Think of buying a pricey car and having extra buttons on the dashboard that don't do anything.

Scholar

• 

211 Messages

12 years ago

I heard back from HTC about the HTC Sense registration failing for the Vivid.

Evidently there are no plans to include the Vivid in the list of devices for the HTC Sense website.

This means that the menu pick in Settings->Widgets->Get more widgets from HTC is forever non-functional.

Also the HTC Sense and HTC Hub apps (non-removable) will NEVER work.

Typical of the great planning that AT&T does when they "lock-down" a smartphone.

It also means that the ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) Android 4.0 version "promise" for the Vivid will most likely be delayed or never made available to AT&T customers.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@rdcinhou wrote:

I heard back from HTC about the HTC Sense registration failing for the Vivid.

Evidently there are no plans to include the Vivid in the list of devices for the HTC Sense website.

This means that the menu pick in Settings->Widgets->Get more widgets from HTC is forever non-functional.

Typical of the great planning that AT&T does when they "lock-down" a smartphone.

It also means that the ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) Android 4.0 version "promise" for the Vivid will most likely be delayed or never made available to AT&T customers.

care to explain how this is ATT's fault if registration on the htc site is failing for the phone?

Scholar

• 

211 Messages

12 years ago

In response HTC Sense's first reply to me (where they said there were no plans), I sent back a negative reply in how disappointed we (Vivid users) were in a supposedly "flagship" 4G product.

That evoked a response whereby they said that ....

"The Vivid will be added to HTCSense.com services. However, we do not have an ETA of when this device will be supported."

They suggest visiting their site often and retrying to see when it is added to the list of supported devices.

As far as AT&T's "fault"--they should not release a smartphone with "features" that don't work on day of release.

They did it to me on the Nokia 9300 which AT&T marketed as "a laptop in your pocket". The AT&T lockdown prevented any upgrading of firmware to fix or activate features which were part of the marketing campaign.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Hey guys. I got a vivid a few days ago. And when I tried to register ofor HTC sence on my phone it gave me an error message saying terms of use could not be loaded. Then I tried it again around 1 am. And it worked. I don't know if it'd work for you but I have access to all the stuff now. Thought id let you guys know there is some hope 🙂 however when I'm on it sometimes it says it can't access HTC sence but it still works fine? Prolly just a glitch. just make sure to sync it with.your phone when you get registered and.you shouldn't have any problems.accessing it

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

@rdcinhou wrote:

I don't see HTC Sense in my list of Vivid apps, but HTC Hub works just fine on mine.

Also, the bootloader is now unlockable via the instructions on the HTCDev website.  After unlocking Carrier iQ can then be removed.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@rdcinhou wrote:

In response HTC Sense's first reply to me (where they said there were no plans), I sent back a negative reply in how disappointed we (Vivid users) were in a supposedly "flagship" 4G product.

"The Vivid will be added to HTCSense.com services. However, we do not have an ETA of when this device will be supported."

They suggest visiting their site often and retrying to see when it is added to the list of supported devices.

As far as AT&T's "fault"--they should not release a smartphone with "features" that don't work on day of release.

They did it to me on the Nokia 9300 which AT&T marketed as "a laptop in your pocket". The AT&T lockdown prevented any upgrading of firmware to fix or activate features which were part of the marketing campaign.

sorry the htc sense site is fluff, it has no actual bearing on the use of the phone, why should att delay the relase of any device and run the risk of lost revenue becasue the manufacturer of the device is to lazy or incompetent to make sure the deivce is ready for market?  Never seen att market htc sense, in fact never knew it existed before I purchased a HTC phone for the developers sand box enviroment

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

12 years ago

@rdcinhou wrote:

As mentioned earlier, AT&T does not market HTC Sense.  It is part of HTC branding software (like Sense).  It is absolutely not necessary.  In fact most of the "apps" HTC provides have similar or better apps on the Android Market.  The fault of it not working is on HTC.  There have been multiple problems with HTCSense prior to the release of the Vivid.  With the limited functionality HTCSense.com provides, I seriously doubt you would be impressed or even wanting much to do with it.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@rdcinhou wrote:

***UPDATE***

HTC Sense website now has a selection for the Vivid--so one may sign up for the service and access the content.

Comment:

Yes, while the contents of the HTC Hub and HTC Sense site may be considered "fluff", a non-functional "feature" is still a non-functional feature.

As long as AT&T asks premium prices for smartphones (instead of just giving them away), consumers have every right to complain when features do not work as advertised.  Think of buying a pricey car and having extra buttons on the dashboard that don't do anything.

blame the right people, att has nothing to do with it, yell at htc for lazy software engineers. att has no control over htc's them, contrary to what you believe it is fluff and not a serious shortcoming of the phone that should delay it's release.

the lastest release of sync that came on the 2011 cobras advertised remote health reports send through the cell phone it ws interfaced with to a designted email address, the option was not in the software when I picked up the car, it was added late 2011 in a software patch - it was a fluff feature, not one the was earth shattereing and enough to delay the release of the car, sme exact thing.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

The customer service concerning problems with services is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE! To begin with, ATT put a lock on my email account for some unexplainable reason....no one at customer service could tell me why! I spent 2 1/2 hours on the phone, speaking to several people after long elevator music holds. Each reported they didn't have the option to remove the lock and passed me off to another Pakistani reading from a script which repeated the same story as above. Finally, I was told that "THE PERSON" who could solve the problem would call me back at 11:00am! NO ONE EVER CALLED! I called back at 8:00pm and called 877-285-0144 because that's the number I was given that would put me in touch with someone who could remove the lock from my email account. This person, in response to the report he had concerning the complete lack of customer service, said he would get the lock off. Guess what!? He said he didn't have the option to remove the lock. However, he made it quite clear that the person who had the option to remove the lock would call me in the NEXT 24-48 HOURS. I don't believe anything that "customer service" says! I've been lied to every step of the way! You are very close to taking my business somewhere else AND repeating this story on any, all and every possible social media outlet! I'll stop now, before I say something that might be construed as a terroristic threat!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.