HTC One from amazon - At&t

Contributor

HTC One from amazon - At&t

So amazon has this phone for sale: 

http://www.amazon.com/HTC-One-Silver-AT-T/dp/B00C5SJEXO/ref=pd_cp_cps_0

It says it's from AT&T. If I purchase it without a service plan and pay the price for the unlocked HTC version, $599 will the HTC be unlocked when it arrives or not? Thanks!

Message 1 of 5 (4,442 Views)
Tutor

Re: HTC One from amazon - At&t

I believe this would still be locked to AT&T. It would be best to buy it directly from HTC if you want the unlocked version.

Message 2 of 5 (4,393 Views)
ACE - Professor

The poster above is correct, the phone would still be locked to AT&T. If you would like to have the phone unlocked out of the box, you would have to buy it from HTC directly. Smiley Happy
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 5 (4,363 Views)
Guru

Unless you specifically want HTC Sense features, I strongly suggest buying the HTC One Google Edition from the Google Play Store. It costs the same as the unlocked version and is compatible with AT&T's LTE, whereas the unlocked version is not. The Google Edition comes with stock Android, which will enable it to get prompt updates, and is fully unlocked.

Message 4 of 5 (4,320 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Purchasing the phone from Amazon, is essentially just buying it from an authorized AT&T dealer.  You can buy it for the subsidized price and sign up for a 2-year service contract, or pay full retail.  But its still SIM locked to AT&T.

If you need SIM unlocked, buy from HTC or Google Play Store, as previously suggested.  Or from a 3rd party vendor that specialized in unlocked phones. 

Message 5 of 5 (4,142 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.