The Samsung Galaxy S24
jdavis88's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Sunday, April 14th, 2013 1:43 AM

HTC One X + update

I woke up earlier to an AT&T message saying your phone is ready for a new software update. So I downloaded it, an nothing has changed or happen. What's this about, was it jus a fake, or will I see something diff later?

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

@krisn8 wrote:

jamileh,

I updated my HTC One X+ to the latest software a few days ago.  I've verified that my version numbers match what you listed in your previous post.

Unfortunately, several applications on my phone no longer work.  The common factor among all of them -- they're graphics intensive (mostly games).

All of these apps/games worked fine just prior to the update.

What should I do?

The latest update did a software upgrade, from Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean. It is possible that many applications that ran on ICS will not run on JB. Many developers are behind in regards to their applications running on JB due to the fact JB has been on such few devices until now and they have not been developing and testing on that platform. This many not be the case for all the apps that quit working for you, but very possible for many. By run, I mean run without issues. In some cases it may introduce new bugs not had before.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

But this is in regards to the HTC One X+ ... it came with Jelly Bean pre-installed, right out of the box.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

@krisn8 wrote:
But this is in regards to the HTC One X+ ... it came with Jelly Bean pre-installed, right out of the box.

Ahh, got it. My wife has the One X, which just got the update mentioned. Looks like the One X+ just received some supposed improvements and enhancements. As typical of HTC, most likely another buggy update. It is the reason I personally abandoned device from manufacturers that place their own overlay on Android. My wife is ok with the One X, but I don't like it. I previously had an HTC Inspire and had to root and install a custom rom just to shake all the bugs. I have found from prior experiences, it is best to backup data and manually install a fresh update downloaded from the HTC site as opposed to applying the update as an overlay. The downside is a loss of data and there is no guarantee that there won't still be bugs. The Inspire had a messaging bug that I don't think HTC ever corrected.

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

11 years ago

krisn8, is your phone encrypted? (Settings > Storage > look for checkmark next to Storage Encryption) I'm just curious because I'm trying to narrow down the cause of this issue.

You might be able to re-update using the manual USB method, but it will factory reset your device so don't do it until you've thoroughly backed up all your data.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

PhoneWizard,

My phone is encrypted.  I have the issue involving the Google apps crashing.

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

11 years ago

I think we've hit the nail on the head.

I've been doing some testing over here, and factory resetting fixes all the issues --- UNTIL I re-encrypt the devices.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Yes, my phone is encrypted as well. Hmmm.... why would that affect some apps and not others? Key point about my issues: only graphics intensive apps crash on me. My initial thought was that the update mucked with a specific graphics API function, one that only gets called in higher-end games, and their changes caused a memory access fault of some sort (e.g. null pointer).

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

My phone is encrypted also.  Seems to be the common thread.

Our company requires encryption, and others here are having the same issues with Chrome and Search.

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

11 years ago

I've opened a ticket with HTC, referencing this thread. Hopefully I can get a response from someone tomorrow, and if not I'll call up AT&T directly and have them put an HTC tech support rep on the line.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Hopefully you'll get somewhere.  AT&T told me it was a "unique problem" with my phone. They referred me to HTC.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.