Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 7, 2013
4:46:49 PM
HTC One X recieving texts late

so basically i just got the HTC One X last week and i have been having a problem with my texts. i will recieve them about an hour after they were sent, sometimes its only 30 min later or it can be more than an hour later. i looked this problem up online and ive seen that many other people r having the same problem. Some said that they downloaded the Ghostly SMS and it worked and i downloaded it and it worked for a few days but i just started having the issue again today. it is really annoying. i can toggle airplane mode and it seems to push them through but that is not fixing the whole problem. i am on the Android version 4.0.4 and i have no idea if an update will fix it or what. if anybody knows how to fix this PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!!!! i HATE getting my texts late. it drives me nuts!!!

so basically i just got the HTC One X last week and i have been having a problem with my texts. i will recieve them about an hour after they were sent, sometimes its only 30 min later or it can be more than an hour later. i looked this problem up online and ive seen that many other people r having the same problem. Some said that they downloaded the Ghostly SMS and it worked and i downloaded it and it worked for a few days but i just started having the issue again today. it is really annoying. i can toggle airplane mode and it seems to push them through but that is not fixing the whole problem. i am on the Android version 4.0.4 and i have no idea if an update will fix it or what. if anybody knows how to fix this PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!!!! i HATE getting my texts late. it drives me nuts!!!

HTC One X recieving texts late

20 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2013 9:17:55 AM
(0)
Contributor

You are not alone with this problem. I have the the exact same issue with my one x. Not sure i think it is 4glte fault. It has messed with my life, my kids life, and affected my girlfriend as well. Not sure I can stand much more. Its obviousley a problem

You are not alone with this problem. I have the the exact same issue with my one x. Not sure i think it is 4glte fault. It has messed with my life, my kids life, and affected my girlfriend as well. Not sure I can stand much more. Its obviousley a problem

Re: HTC One X recieving texts late

2 of 21 (7,318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2013 6:48:42 AM
(0)
Mentor

I believe it's because when the phone hibernates it stops the lte conection to save battery. It happens to me every morning when I wake up.

I believe it's because when the phone hibernates it stops the lte conection to save battery. It happens to me every morning when I wake up.

3 of 21 (7,286 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2013 12:42:17 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by billd104 on Feb 12, 2013 at 12:44:37 PM

To my knowledge, The texts are not transmitted over the LTE layer, It is only used for packet data. The SMS and voice functions are still carried by the 4G/3G/2G layer of the network. There is another thread about this issue here. My guess would be that there is somthing not configured correctly on your device. Is it using stock firmware? You can read more about the LTE 4G fallback schema here.

To my knowledge, The texts are not transmitted over the LTE layer, It is only used for packet data. The SMS and voice functions are still carried by the 4G/3G/2G layer of the network. There is another thread about this issue here. My guess would be that there is somthing not configured correctly on your device. Is it using stock firmware? You can read more about the LTE 4G fallback schema here.

[ Edited ]
4 of 21 (7,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2013 1:57:46 PM
(0)
Tutor
This happens to me all the time, Im on my second phone now. The original phone would take up tp 2 hrs to receive my texts, the new is usually only 30 mins late and its random. Ive also missed phone calls on more than one occasion with at least 3 bars showing on LTE network. Whats really sad is since I got a replacement phone on the 1 yr warranty, they give me a 90 day warranty on the new phone. I still have the same issue, its been over 90 days and I cant get help even though it well under a year since the original phone.
This happens to me all the time, Im on my second phone now. The original phone would take up tp 2 hrs to receive my texts, the new is usually only 30 mins late and its random. Ive also missed phone calls on more than one occasion with at least 3 bars showing on LTE network. Whats really sad is since I got a replacement phone on the 1 yr warranty, they give me a 90 day warranty on the new phone. I still have the same issue, its been over 90 days and I cant get help even though it well under a year since the original phone.

5 of 21 (7,266 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2013 2:30:42 PM
(0)
Scholar

JamesBur wrote:

When you send or receive a text message or initiate or receive a phone call the One X will automatically fall back into 4G mode for these actions. How do you know that the texts are being received late. As I posted above, the LTE and the 4G networks are separate, text and voice traverse 4G and LTE is packet data only.

JamesBur wrote:

When you send or receive a text message or initiate or receive a phone call the One X will automatically fall back into 4G mode for these actions. How do you know that the texts are being received late. As I posted above, the LTE and the 4G networks are separate, text and voice traverse 4G and LTE is packet data only.

6 of 21 (7,261 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2013 9:15:54 PM
(0)
Tutor

My texts will have the time stamps from the original time they were send when I finally receive them. After some time, the times actaully change to the current time it was received. I also know because people have waited for my responses then I get a text 2 hrs later. Ive read and noticed that putting the phone into airplane mode and turing that off will allow my texts to be received. Its a joke, this is the only phone Ive ever had any problems with out of every cell phone Ive ever owned since 2001.

My texts will have the time stamps from the original time they were send when I finally receive them. After some time, the times actaully change to the current time it was received. I also know because people have waited for my responses then I get a text 2 hrs later. Ive read and noticed that putting the phone into airplane mode and turing that off will allow my texts to be received. Its a joke, this is the only phone Ive ever had any problems with out of every cell phone Ive ever owned since 2001.

7 of 21 (7,229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2013 7:32:23 AM
(0)
Scholar

JamesBur wrote:

This seems more like a network issue than a device issue. SMS messages should only queue for delivery if the device is not available to the network (ie. powered off, mobile network turned off or in Airplane Mode) otherwise by default the mobile network should be connected and deliver the SMS. Has anyone at AT&T support verified your mobile network settings? The other question is if this happens in the same geographical locations or while the device is connected to common cellular towers?

JamesBur wrote:

This seems more like a network issue than a device issue. SMS messages should only queue for delivery if the device is not available to the network (ie. powered off, mobile network turned off or in Airplane Mode) otherwise by default the mobile network should be connected and deliver the SMS. Has anyone at AT&T support verified your mobile network settings? The other question is if this happens in the same geographical locations or while the device is connected to common cellular towers?

8 of 21 (7,214 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2013 11:45:18 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hey there! I've had this exact same issue for months on my HTC One X and I can't tell how much grief it's caused me.

I don't know what causes the behaivor, but I can tell you it's inconsistent for me. I'll receive texts normally for a given amount of time and then I'll stop receiving any.

I have found that turning WI-FI off and then back on somehow seems to cause my phone to receive all of the messages that were missing. I'm not sure it's a reliabe fix, but it's worked for me in the past.

Really frustrating issue.

Hey there! I've had this exact same issue for months on my HTC One X and I can't tell how much grief it's caused me.

I don't know what causes the behaivor, but I can tell you it's inconsistent for me. I'll receive texts normally for a given amount of time and then I'll stop receiving any.

I have found that turning WI-FI off and then back on somehow seems to cause my phone to receive all of the messages that were missing. I'm not sure it's a reliabe fix, but it's worked for me in the past.

9 of 21 (7,198 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2013 9:16:53 PM
(0)
Tutor

Ive called when the new phone started to do it again and they had try a few things and it stopped for a while, but now its been showing its head again. It usually does it in my living room, even thought Im on 3 bars. Its never consistant, and never happened with my Iphones. I keep everyhting turned on, on my phone but it still doesnt help inside.

Ive called when the new phone started to do it again and they had try a few things and it stopped for a while, but now its been showing its head again. It usually does it in my living room, even thought Im on 3 bars. Its never consistant, and never happened with my Iphones. I keep everyhting turned on, on my phone but it still doesnt help inside.

10 of 21 (7,178 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2013 4:53:59 PM
(0)
Tutor
I emailed htc about it and they said try to clear the cache and that actually worked for a week r 2 and then I tried uploading a video to Facebook and it totally fuked it up again. And I had to clear the cache. I went into at and t before I emailed htc and they said they never heard of the problem and stuff and that's when I almost flipped on them. I think the jellybean update will fix it but who knows when that will come out
I emailed htc about it and they said try to clear the cache and that actually worked for a week r 2 and then I tried uploading a video to Facebook and it totally fuked it up again. And I had to clear the cache. I went into at and t before I emailed htc and they said they never heard of the problem and stuff and that's when I almost flipped on them. I think the jellybean update will fix it but who knows when that will come out

11 of 21 (7,079 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2013 1:53:46 PM
(0)
Scholar

araw83 wrote:

Turning the WiFi on and off would cycle the mobile data connection but the device should stay connected to the 4G network for voice and SMS regardless of WiFi. That's how mine works and I'm on WiFi all the time. Have you tried tweeting @ATTCustomerCare https://twitter.com/ATTCustomerCare to see if this is a known network related issue in your area?

araw83 wrote:

Turning the WiFi on and off would cycle the mobile data connection but the device should stay connected to the 4G network for voice and SMS regardless of WiFi. That's how mine works and I'm on WiFi all the time. Have you tried tweeting @ATTCustomerCare https://twitter.com/ATTCustomerCare to see if this is a known network related issue in your area?

12 of 21 (7,028 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 12:24:59 AM
(0)
Tutor
Actually no I haven't. Ill have to try and see what they say

13 of 21 (7,003 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 8:30:01 AM
(0)
Scholar

horsegalkt888 wrote:

I'm just curious as to what the issue is. The behavior you describe doesn't seem right when the device is connected to the AT&T network. Is it possible that it's connecting to another carrier (ie. roaming)?

horsegalkt888 wrote:

I'm just curious as to what the issue is. The behavior you describe doesn't seem right when the device is connected to the AT&T network. Is it possible that it's connecting to another carrier (ie. roaming)?

Re: HTC One X receiving texts late

14 of 21 (6,986 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 8:27:40 PM
(0)
Tutor
The issue I'm having is I'm recieving text messages late. Like one of my friends sends me a text at 3pm and I won't get it till around 4 or 5 pm. It doesn't happen all the time. If I clear the cache it works fine for a little while. And no it's not connecting to another carrier I don't believe..
The issue I'm having is I'm recieving text messages late. Like one of my friends sends me a text at 3pm and I won't get it till around 4 or 5 pm. It doesn't happen all the time. If I clear the cache it works fine for a little while. And no it's not connecting to another carrier I don't believe..

15 of 21 (6,963 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2013 7:03:48 AM
(0)
Tutor

I'm not sure how long it will last, but my wife wasn't getting calls or texts and like many of you, after a reboot they would all appear.  I noticed that her phone was set to something like "quick boot."  I can't remember exactly what it was called.  It said that it may interfere with certain apps.  I unchecked it, rebooted the phone, and for the last 48 hours or so, her phone has worked like a gem.  She's getting all of her texts and her calls now.  Like I said, I'm not sure if it'll last, but I've got my fingers crossed because it's the best the phone has worked since we got it 3 weeks ago.

I'm not sure how long it will last, but my wife wasn't getting calls or texts and like many of you, after a reboot they would all appear.  I noticed that her phone was set to something like "quick boot."  I can't remember exactly what it was called.  It said that it may interfere with certain apps.  I unchecked it, rebooted the phone, and for the last 48 hours or so, her phone has worked like a gem.  She's getting all of her texts and her calls now.  Like I said, I'm not sure if it'll last, but I've got my fingers crossed because it's the best the phone has worked since we got it 3 weeks ago.

16 of 21 (6,942 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2013 12:48:34 PM
(0)
Tutor
where was it set to quick boot? like what u go under to uncheck it?
where was it set to quick boot? like what u go under to uncheck it?

17 of 21 (6,895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2013 1:33:47 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by billd104 on Feb 22, 2013 at 1:54:55 PM

It's in Settings, Power, Fast Boot. Uncheck and re-start. Fast boot was/is a huge issue for ICS and AFIK it's been removed from Android 4.2 Jelly Bean.

It's in Settings, Power, Fast Boot. Uncheck and re-start. Fast boot was/is a huge issue for ICS and AFIK it's been removed from Android 4.2 Jelly Bean.

[ Edited ]
18 of 21 (6,888 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2013 7:29:46 PM
(0)
Tutor
ive had that unchecked for a while. and the recieving texts late still happens and happened twice today and im about done with it...
ive had that unchecked for a while. and the recieving texts late still happens and happened twice today and im about done with it...

19 of 21 (6,863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2013 8:50:35 PM
(0)
Explorer

I've been having this problem for a long time and turning wifi off usually makes it less bad for me. It still happens occasionally, but a lot less with wifi off (I have no idea why though)

I've been having this problem for a long time and turning wifi off usually makes it less bad for me. It still happens occasionally, but a lot less with wifi off (I have no idea why though)

20 of 21 (6,854 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2013 10:34:09 PM
(0)
Tutor
I've had same issue for awhile now...had it with HTC Inspire too. Texts come in 1-8 hrs late and calls stop. Att came me new SIM and HTC sent instructions on clearing cache partition and reboot phone. Will improve for awhile then start happening again. I'll turn phone on and off, turn on off airplane mode and text myself to try to get it to work. Love the phone other than this issue which is going to make me leave htc
I've had same issue for awhile now...had it with HTC Inspire too. Texts come in 1-8 hrs late and calls stop. Att came me new SIM and HTC sent instructions on clearing cache partition and reboot phone. Will improve for awhile then start happening again. I'll turn phone on and off, turn on off airplane mode and text myself to try to get it to work. Love the phone other than this issue which is going to make me leave htc

21 of 21 (6,763 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments