The Samsung Galaxy S24
Monallama's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Friday, January 25th, 2013 7:31 AM

HTC One X problems: AT&T and HTC keep pointing fingers!

I've had my HTC One X for only a few months. I started having problems with my first One X about two months in to the contract, so it was too late to return it.
My phone delays incoming messages, and locks up to where I can't receive phone calls. This happens atleast once every day for a few hours. It only unlocks if I make a phone call or send a text. I feel as though I have to make pointless phone calls and send pointless texts just to get my phone to wake up.
I thought it was an issue with the phone, so they perform two resets on my phone. When it didn't work, AT&T then sent me a refurbished one and I had to return my brand new one.
So the new one ends up working for a week, then has the same issue. I call AT&T, they tell me to call HTC's technical support, so I do.
The fellow tells me he's never heard this complaint, and says hes almost positive its a faulty sim card, and have to call AT&T to order another. So I order another, and a day after putting it in the phone and activating it, the same old thing happens.

At this point I'm extremely frustrated. I don't know what to do, or why according to both AT&T and HTC, I'm the only one having this problem. It's too late to return the phone, and I don't feel that after paying so much (bought before it was free), they don't want to try to go a bit further to figure the issue out instead of making me call each company endlessly. I don't care if the internet, apps, or music don't work since that's not what a phone is for. I just want to atleast get calls ans texts. Do you guys have any recommendations on how to go about this problem or have any of you had the same issue?

TL;DR: Two phones and two sim cards later, phone still doesn't receive calls and delays receiving texts randomly. HTC and AT&T keep blaming another for the problem. Help would be lovely.

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

11 years ago

Find an AT&T only store in your area. Take it there, and politely request a new replacement, since it is still under warranty. It is unacceptable for AT&T to lock you into a contract when the AT&T branded phone provided is not working, with it's name on the product and the box, and it's own software locked on your phone. You should not have to call HTC. This is not the same as buying a TV from Best Buy and then calling the manufacturer of the TV.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

Its not a problem with all One X's, as I've had one since release, and have never suffered the issues you described.  The problem is that after 30 days, you are given a refurb.  Which are by definition, phones that were returned due to defects or damage, and sometimes do not have everything repaired properly before being sent back out to customers.  Unfortunately, its not unusual to receive several defective refurbs, all with various or similar issues.  A very bad situation, I agree.  But these are the terms you agreed to when you bought the phone (regardless of whether you paid any attention to them or not).

You have 90 days to return a refurb for replacement.  Are you saying that you exceeded the 90 days?  It does not seem like it would have taken that long to realize the phone has the same issues as your old one.  If within the 90 days, I recommend sending it in for replacement.  Yes, you might get another with the same or other issues.  Or you might get one that works perfectly.  Its not ideal, but it may be the best you can do for now.

If you go through a few refurbs, and none of them are satisfactory, you might be able to complain and switch to a new brand/model of phone.  Its not the official policy, but I have heard on here and other forums of AT&T making that exception, particularly for longtime customers, or customers with multiple lines.

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

11 years ago

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

I just got off the phone with Technical Support and it seemed as though the only real thing they could do was send me another device, leaving me with my 3rd HTC One X. And again, the gentleman said he had never heard of the issue, even though I had browsed the web and apparently very few other users had the same issue.

I didn't mind recieving the refurbished device since I had chosen to wait a while to see if the problem went away or it was something that was in a software update, but time did not fix the problem. I did not exceed the 90 days with the refurbished device, which is why he was able to offer another.

I told him what you said, about how I may have to keep getting a device until I get one that isn't defective. He seemed a little uneasy about the thought, but he agreed that it may be best if I chose not to argue it with the warranty department. I don't like to attack people for stuff thats not their fault, so I guess I'll wait for the new device and if the problem continues, THEN take it up with the warranty department and see if we can work something out.

He said (and slightly hinted) that some had successfully disputed with the warranty department and were able to recieve a whole new device all together, but that it was not common. I have been with AT&T since it was Cingular, so I would hope that they would work with me on this issue since I've never had an issue like this since I had my Samsung Impression (which was later officially said to be a bad design and was discontinued rather quickly) about 3 or 4 years ago.

The new device is in transit, and I will try and keep you all posted if the issue continues. After doing a bit of research, some people said it may be because I browse on my phone and thats what causes it to lock up, others say it's the wifi, someone even said it may be airplane mode. But in the end, I guess we'll have to wait.

Thank you for your help.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

I agree, that's pretty much where my frustration was coming from. I understand that At&t doesn't make or manufacture the phones, but to be having to go back and forth between HTC and At&t was getting overwhelming. It was pretty much a battle of "Well he sold the phone!" "Yeah, but they made it!" and it was a bit childish.

In the end, At&t are the people getting the majority of the money from my purchase, they are the ones that handle my contract, and they are the primary source of service, so I'd like to hope that they could handle the problem without directing me elsewhere.

I have another decive coming in the mail (my 3rd one) and I will see if the issues continue. Thank you for your help

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@Monallama wrote:

He said (and slightly hinted) that some had successfully disputed with the warranty department and were able to recieve a whole new device all together, but that it was not common.

The cases where I have heard AT&T let a person pick a new model of phone, the person had gone through multiple defective refurbs of the same device.  I'm talking 4 or 5, a few people I've heard of even more (like 7 or 8).  You just had one defective refurb (plus the defective new phone), so I agree to give AT&T another chance at least, before trying to twist their arm into getting a different phone.

@Monallama wrote:

The new device is in transit, and I will try and keep you all posted if the issue continues. After doing a bit of research, some people said it may be because I browse on my phone and thats what causes it to lock up, others say it's the wifi, someone even said it may be airplane mode. But in the end, I guess we'll have to wait.

Browsing??? That's the silliest thing I've heard all week (and I've heard some silly things this week, trust me!).  I browse all the time on my One X, and have never had an issue like you describe.  Its a smartphone.  One of its primary functions is to browse the internet.

This is absolutely a hardware of software defect.  Don't let anyone tell you its anything you did.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Yeah, I always feel so terrible calling them about issues because I know that the fellow on the phone is never the one at fault, and I've never had to dispute anything as big as a brand new phone. Even then, I would have no idea how to go about it. I'm not one that honestly gets angry, just frustrated, and I'm sure the people I've talked to about my phone issue are thankful that I don't get pissy about it.

All I want is a functioning phone, something that makes and recieves calls. I grew up loving normal phones, so smart phones are just a treat for me.

I tried solving it on my own, and some solutions that people thought worked were absolutely crazy, like the browsing thing and airplane mode. I thought it was odd that this phone, being one of the best phones in the nation, wouldn't be able to recieve calls or texts while browsing or having wifi on. It just seemed odd.

I'm going to give this 3rd device a shot, hopefully it wont let me down. It's just honestly a huge hassle having to keep calling every week about the same problem. I'm sure I've spoken to everyone there atleast once. They even say that they have a whole essay of notes from every time I call. My family has been with them many years, though. So hopefully they understand where I'm coming from and try to work with me.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

Out of curiosity, do you live in a 4G area?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

My phone switches between 4g and 4g LTE. I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I always have the mobile network off since this phone uses a bunch of data for open apps and I have a very limited internet plan.

The guy I spoke with on the phone said I had really good connection where I live, so my issue kind of confused him.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I went thru THREE One-X's, between July & December 2012, then AT&T's "solution" was to upgrade me to the One-X+ on 1/23.  Starting 1/26 I stated getting the SIM cared issue.  Now the added "insult to injury", is that I PAID for the One-X upgrade back in July, never had a stable phone and then had to pay AGAIN for the One-X+ upgrade!!!  So, essentially I paid for TWO upgrades and ended up with one phone...which now is having issues as well.

Although HTC has EXCELLENT (and US-based) customer service, (from which AT&T could learn a thing or 2 from), I have had it with BOTH.  Today, I will ONCE again get to go into the phone store, and enjoy the experience of some barely knowledgeable young salesman BEE-S me with his technical knowledge!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.