Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 11, 2013
1:50:27 PM
View profile
HTC One X - Update headache!

I have been attempting to update my HTC One X, which is stock, to the latest update. I go to the "check for updates" button under the ATT update and it does nothing now. I did a factory reset on the phone and basically wiped all my data just to get it to finally see that there was an update. So I connect to my wifi network and it downloads the update. After it gets done downloading the update it pops up that it is verifying the update package and it stays on the screen for about 30 seconds and then goes away. Thats all it did. It didn't go any update installation progress or even attempt to proceed to any next step in the process. I've rebooted and have tried numerous times to go back to the update option to check and find the update again but it does nothing as well.

I do have the update file on the phone though. It's the 600+ MB one. I had to visit a friends house to get on the wifi network to get this file and can't get back on the wifi yet. Can I do anything with the update file thats on my phone to get it started and updating like it is supposed to?

I have been attempting to update my HTC One X, which is stock, to the latest update. I go to the "check for updates" button under the ATT update and it does nothing now. I did a factory reset on the phone and basically wiped all my data just to get it to finally see that there was an update. So I connect to my wifi network and it downloads the update. After it gets done downloading the update it pops up that it is verifying the update package and it stays on the screen for about 30 seconds and then goes away. Thats all it did. It didn't go any update installation progress or even attempt to proceed to any next step in the process. I've rebooted and have tried numerous times to go back to the update option to check and find the update again but it does nothing as well.

I do have the update file on the phone though. It's the 600+ MB one. I had to visit a friends house to get on the wifi network to get this file and can't get back on the wifi yet. Can I do anything with the update file thats on my phone to get it started and updating like it is supposed to?

HTC One X - Update headache!

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2013 6:48:00 AM
(0)
Professor

Not sure if there is a way to "jumpstart" the OTA this is on your phone. 

But this should work:  Follow the "Manual system update instructions" near the bottom of the following webpage:

https://support.htc.com/?title=en-us/070-HTC_One_X_ATT/Software_Updates/HTC_One_X%E2%84%A2_for_AT%26...

Download the file to a PC, connect your phone via USB, and run the downloaded ROM Update Utility (RUU) executable.

This will wipe the phone, but in your case, its already wiped.

Not sure if there is a way to "jumpstart" the OTA this is on your phone. 

But this should work:  Follow the "Manual system update instructions" near the bottom of the following webpage:

https://support.htc.com/?title=en-us/070-HTC_One_X_ATT/Software_Updates/HTC_One_X%E2%84%A2_for_AT%26T_ROM_Update_|_3.07.2013

Download the file to a PC, connect your phone via USB, and run the downloaded ROM Update Utility (RUU) executable.

This will wipe the phone, but in your case, its already wiped.

Re: HTC One X - Update headache!

2 of 4 (4,336 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2013 5:10:32 AM
(0)
Mentor

If what you're trying to do is to update to Jelly Bean 4.1.1, maybe your failure to do so is a good omen. If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't have updated the phone. There are two major (for me anyway) issues that have negatively affected those of us running 4.1.1. Firstly, when "fast boot" is unchecked, any widgets for paid apps will not load on boot. You'd have to manually load them after the phone is done booting. Secondly, when the phone is connected to the computer and you are accessing your photos, thumbnails of those photos are not available making downloading a specific picture a chore. You'd be better off waiting for the next Android version, whenever that is. 

If what you're trying to do is to update to Jelly Bean 4.1.1, maybe your failure to do so is a good omen. If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't have updated the phone. There are two major (for me anyway) issues that have negatively affected those of us running 4.1.1. Firstly, when "fast boot" is unchecked, any widgets for paid apps will not load on boot. You'd have to manually load them after the phone is done booting. Secondly, when the phone is connected to the computer and you are accessing your photos, thumbnails of those photos are not available making downloading a specific picture a chore. You'd be better off waiting for the next Android version, whenever that is. 

3 of 4 (4,288 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2013 9:35:24 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Aug 13, 2013 at 9:37:07 AM

bob550 wrote:

Secondly, when the phone is connected to the computer and you are accessing your photos, thumbnails of those photos are not available making downloading a specific picture a chore. You'd be better off waiting for the next Android version, whenever that is. 

What you are talking about is called Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) mode (versus mass storage mode).  I agree the inability to view thumbnails of photos is highly inconvenient (and there are some other disadvantages to MTP).  But most smartphone manufacturers are going to this format moving forward, since it allows some advantages:

1)  Computer (when connected via USB) and both the phone can access storage simulateously

2)  App storage does not have to be partitioned seperately from the virtual SD card.  This actually doesn't apply to the One X (so moot in this case), but does on other devices.

In any case, this is an intentional feature, and not a bug.  So therefore, don't expect this to change anytime soon.

Also, recommending to stay with obsolete versions of the OS is a security risk.  I would advise against it.

bob550 wrote:

Secondly, when the phone is connected to the computer and you are accessing your photos, thumbnails of those photos are not available making downloading a specific picture a chore. You'd be better off waiting for the next Android version, whenever that is. 

What you are talking about is called Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) mode (versus mass storage mode).  I agree the inability to view thumbnails of photos is highly inconvenient (and there are some other disadvantages to MTP).  But most smartphone manufacturers are going to this format moving forward, since it allows some advantages:

1)  Computer (when connected via USB) and both the phone can access storage simulateously

2)  App storage does not have to be partitioned seperately from the virtual SD card.  This actually doesn't apply to the One X (so moot in this case), but does on other devices.

In any case, this is an intentional feature, and not a bug.  So therefore, don't expect this to change anytime soon.

Also, recommending to stay with obsolete versions of the OS is a security risk.  I would advise against it.

[ Edited ]
4 of 4 (4,268 Views)