For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
hbomber's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, September 19th, 2013 6:55 PM

HTC One VX - Worse battery life after Jelly Bean update

My HTC One VX has had incredible battery life since I purchased it earlier this year.  The battery life is light years ahead of my previous phone, HTC Inspire.

After I did the update to Jelly Bean a few weeks ago, the battery life has been degraded noticeably.  I'm not a heavy phone user, but I could go just about 2 days on one charge if I wanted to do so.  Now, my phone would be close to dead in the morning if I didn't charge over night.

Is Jelly Bean a bigger resouce hog than ICS?  Is there some setting that I could change to increase battery life to close to where it once was?  I tried the new Power Saver feature and I don't like it.  It seems to use more battery power for some odd reason so I leave it off.

Anyone else notice worse battery performance after the Jelly Bean update?

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

I have a One X, not a VX.  But I can tell you that there is always a radio update, when they release an OTA to move from one Android version to another (like ICS to JB).  The new radio is intended to be an improvement, and for most people it will be.  But not everyone.  Reception is a highly variable thing.  And if you are getting worse reception on the new radio, it will impact battery life.  Unfortunately, there is no "official" means to downgrade your radio or OS.

JB in general does not tend to be more of a battery hog than ICS.  In fact most people see slightly better battery life (at least on my device).

Doing a factory reset after an OTA sometimes helps random bugs.  Its inconvenient to have to backup your data, and then have to re-setup everything after the reset.  But its simply a much cleaner install than trying to update and keep your user data and apps.  Its not guaranteed to solve your problem, but might be worth a try, if you are willing to put up with the inconvenience.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.