The Samsung Galaxy S24
RobinJCB's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, February 13th, 2016 4:26 PM

HTC One M8 can't compose an email - Unfortunately, Mail has Stopped Error Message.

I am using the native email app installed on this phone. Running Android 5.0.2 and HTC Sense version 6.0. Emails are downloading fine. I can open and read them. Yesterday, I tried to reply to an email. When I clicked on the  body of the email to enter my reply I got the error message: "Unfortunately, Mail has Stopped" and the draft email closed. I tried composing a new email and forwarding an email with the same result.

I rebooted the phone, cleared the email cache and data, deleted my email accounts, basically all of the recommended steps. When I re-added an email account and tried to compose an email the same thing happened. It appears that my email app is corrupted but I can't figure out how to reinstall it. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem would be most appreciated.

P.S. I am running Mail version 8.2.858566.

P.P.S. I now see on the HTC Mail page of the google play store that several users are experiencing this problem and screaming loudly. I guess no amount of fiddling on my part will fix this until HTC releases an update. Boo HTC.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Thanks!  Had this exact issue starting last night with my HTC One M8 - mail busted, as described - crashes on reply.

Uninstalling update to Android System WebView did the trick.

Expect better from HTC and co.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Wow, this worked.  Thank you!  What exactly is WebView?  Even after reading it from the Play Store I couldn't figure out what exactly it did.  The explanation was just vague if you ask me and the comments people provided were ridiculous "Installing this app removed ten pounds from my pear-shaped middle and made my balding pate hirsute.".  Really????  I just want to make sure this application isn't something I need or even care about.  Thanks again.

P.S.  I am also very curious how you guys figured out something that to me seems incredibly obscure.    🙂

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

Htc borked there update to there email client and its conflicting with webview.  Below is what webview is.

Android's Webview, as described by Google, is a “system component powered by Chrome that allows Android apps to display web content.” In other words, Webview allows 3rd party apps to show content in an in-app browser or in an app screen that pulls from the web.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you.  I went ahead and uninstalled WebView for now; i'll see if that causes other problems and if so I may just have to reinstall it and use Gmail instead.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Thank you very much! uninstalling android system webview fixed my reply

to email problem too;) I had the very same issue, but I am from Australia and not using AT&T.

wiping out the phone config was an extremely unwise idea(; luckily I hadn't done it, just read on and found your recommendations.

i am very grateful for all those posting, well done!

Paul

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I am having the exact same issue. Is there any fix on the radar yet. Really difficult for business.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

"The problem is google killed the email app in native android."

Umm... that's not the problem, except for a very strange definition of "problem". Updates to a library should never break programs depending on the library. Besides, many of us have great reasons for preferring the non-integrated GMail approach.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@TechnoCat wrote:

"The problem is google killed the email app in native android."

Umm... that's not the problem, except for a very strange definition of "problem". Updates to a library should never break programs depending on the library. Besides, many of us have great reasons for preferring the non-integrated GMail approach.

@TechnoCat

except when HTC releases a update that borks webview.  I for one use cloudmagic for work email.  since I change devices so often I dont have to worry about running out of outlook tolkens since there capped at 10.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Cannot believe that removing Android Webview worked. My email started failing on February 29. Very frustrating because I actually use my phone for business...it isn't a {edited for word filter evasion} toy to me and I take this FAIL very seriously. If it is an HTC problem they need to be notified to fix it. I have bought 4 HTC phones but that can change in a heartbeat.

An FYI to whom it may concern...it is B-S when this happens and the typical answer by AT&T service is to reset the phone back to factory. FAIL. That is the canned response and is unacceptable. Again, I have been with AT&T for a long time but when service negatively affects my ability to conduct MY business...I will make a change.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Perfect.  Removed WebView and now I'm working again.  This must be a very recent update as it broke my e-mail just this week.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.