The Samsung Galaxy S24
RobinJCB's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, February 13th, 2016 4:26 PM

HTC One M8 can't compose an email - Unfortunately, Mail has Stopped Error Message.

I am using the native email app installed on this phone. Running Android 5.0.2 and HTC Sense version 6.0. Emails are downloading fine. I can open and read them. Yesterday, I tried to reply to an email. When I clicked on the  body of the email to enter my reply I got the error message: "Unfortunately, Mail has Stopped" and the draft email closed. I tried composing a new email and forwarding an email with the same result.

I rebooted the phone, cleared the email cache and data, deleted my email accounts, basically all of the recommended steps. When I re-added an email account and tried to compose an email the same thing happened. It appears that my email app is corrupted but I can't figure out how to reinstall it. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem would be most appreciated.

P.S. I am running Mail version 8.2.858566.

P.P.S. I now see on the HTC Mail page of the google play store that several users are experiencing this problem and screaming loudly. I guess no amount of fiddling on my part will fix this until HTC releases an update. Boo HTC.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I had this exact problem.  Simply delete the Android System WebView.  You can do this Play Store.  The update from google is causing the problem. 

Once I deleted this app, everything started working again.  No need to reload the operating system or any other changes.

Good luck.

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

8 years ago

Hi there! @RobinJCB thank you for posting your concerns and I’m sorry to hear you’re receiving this error when attempting to compose Email.

Since you’ve tried all those steps to clear the issue, I’d recommend you back up your data and factory reset the device.

For steps to factory reset, please click here and select the make and model of your device.

Once you have done this, select the Tutorials tab then in the Device Topics column, click on the Troubleshooting link and Reset device for full back up and reset instructions.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Mine just started doing the same thing, I have a HTC desire eye . Issue started today. A factory reset is a temporary fix, as soon as the apps all update to the latest versions through the play store, it will ance the same issue again. Where did you find the comments that you refer to? I want to add mine there as well.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Same thing started with my Desire Eye today.  What gives AT&T?????  I am bummed!!!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I had the same problem and fixed it by removing the update for "Android System WebView." This is a system program but, for some reason, the updates for it is causing problems with email and browsing. The only reason I knew to try this was due to a previous update from this same app that caused similar issues. It seems they pushed another update out that is causing a similar problem. Weird.

I hope this helps!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

The problem is google killed the email app in native android.  The oems are the ones keeping it alive for some reason.  Gmail will do it all in one place now.  My exhange accounts work better with gmail.  Then there is the fact that HTC is not updating there built in apps as fast as they should.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I did the same thing. Uninstalled updates for Android System WebView and it went back to default. I found the solution another web page. I guess the disadvantage of this is the update that caused this problem for HTC One also provides some security fixes.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I went to Google Play on my laptop and searched for HTC Mail. This link might take you directly there: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.htc.android.mail

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I really didn't want to go through the hassle of wiping my phone, especially if the problem was just going to return with the updates. Stopping a system update app didn't seem like a good long term solution. I decided to switch to the gmail app and stop using HTC Mail. So far, so good.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

I too started having this problem just today.  What I have found is that the issue doesn't actually occur until you go into the body of the email (i.e. you can forward an email without making any comments in the body, or you can compose a new email and just put in the recipient and the subject).  However if doing either of these is then followed by putting the cursor in the body (even without typing anything), this error occurs.  The reason it always occurs with Reply is because it automatically puts you into the body since you are replying and the subject and recipients are already populated.

I know most people are rolling their eyes at this level of detail (LOL) because at the end of the day, it doesn't matter because the issue still occurs and who wants to forward or send email with nothing in the body?  Nobody of course.  But I felt this level of information may help someone responsible for troubleshooting this issue to test and figure out why exactly this is happening.

To AT&T:

Asking us to wipe the phone and start all over again is NOT a good answer.  Clearly this is not an issue with everybody's phone due to some "user error" we may have done and screwed up the phone.  There is definitely an issue with HTC's email program that needs some type of correction.  One other thing to note is that I remember being prompted for a program update recently and the mail program was one of them I was prompted for (I thought it odd but I did it anyway since it prompted me for it).

So if AT&T can put some pressure on HTC to fix this problem I think that is a more viable solution than asking all HTC users to do factory resets on their phone for a problem that has NOT been caused by customers.

Thank you.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.