For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
mindlessnerd's profile

Coach

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, April 14th, 2015 4:42 AM

HTC One M8 Lollipop Problems

Hello, I recently updated to Lollipop (so software is Android 5.0.2, HTC Sense 6.0) on my HTC One M8, and I've been having a number of problems with the messaging app. Basically, messaging has become a complete mess/hassle. It takes up to 5 or 6 seconds every time to bring up conversations, and when it does to, the app often crashes ("Unfortunately, Messages has stopped"). I think I've counted a total of 30 crashes or so in the past week were I to guess. Generally the crashing occurs when attempting to type a message (that is to say that it doesn't happen often with inactivity or just reading messages, though that has happened I think). Additionally, I've noticed significant lag when typing messages of almost any length (so not correlated to long or large messages or anything). 

Only recent change has been the upgrade to Lollipop and a theme change to Cascadia. Has anyone had any similar problems? Any known solutions or anything I can try? Thanks. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

You need to do a factory reset on the phone.  You have an app that did not like the conversion to lollipop.  Back up all your data and factory reset the phone.  

Then clear your cache.

To wipe the cache partition, follow these steps:

If the phone is not working correctly, you may need to master reset it and also clear the cache partition. These two resets clear different parts of the phone storage. Unlike a master reset, wiping the cache partition does not delete your personal data.

To wipe the cache partition, follow these steps:

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Down key.
  3. Press and release the Power key to turn the phone on.
  4. Continue holding the Volume Down.
  5. Release the Volume Down key when the three Android images appear on the bottom of the screen.
  6. Press the Volume Down key once to move the cursor from FASTBOOT to RECOVERY.

Factory reset.png

1. Press the Power key to begin the wipe.
  2. The device displays the bootup screen followed by a phone with a red triangle.
    2.jpg
  3. Press the Up Volume key and Power key at the same time.
  4. Press the Down Volume key three times to select Wipe cache partition.

wipe cache.png

1. Press the Power key to initiate the wipe.
  2. Wait until the phone displays Cache wipe complete.
  3. Press the Power key to select Reboot system now.
  4. If this does not resolve your issue, the next step a master reset

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I am on a different phone (Samsung Galaxy S5 Active) but the problem is similar. The app crashes multiple times a day. I always choose the Report option and submit the report. At least five times, the app has crashed so completely that I have to remove the battery rebooting the phone to get it to respond. Sometimes, when sending messages, the sending spiral indicator will spin even after the message has been sent and received. Receipt of messages is problematic also. Sometimes messages are delivered a day after being sent. My husband and I have tested several scenarios just to be sure it is not one device. This Ali started with the Lollipop update. I have cleared the cache and reset the phone as recommended in various forums, but the problem continues.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

if your having that much trouble with the messaging app try a different one like go sms to see if it works better.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.