The Samsung Galaxy S24
aBenjamin's profile

Former Employee

• 

229 Messages

Friday, April 18th, 2014 8:34 PM

HTC One - Kitkat Update (4.4)

According to HTC's website, the Android 4.4 updated was released back in February. I'm still seeing 4.3 on my device, and tapping on "Check for updates" shows No New Updates Found

Is it possible to update through another method or is this the only way? 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

10 years ago

The KitKat, 4.4, update was released February 23, 2014.

This Software Update Includes

• Android KitKat 4.4 Highlights:
    • Copy and Paste allows users to share or Google highlighted information.
    • E-mail look and feel similar to Gmail and allows in-line editing.
    • Phone/dialer has an enhanced user interface.
    • Contacts prioritized based on frequently contacted.
    • Contact search from dial-pad or voice.
    • Bottom action bar provides access to recent calls and dialer.
    • Camera App icon on lock screen for quick access to camera.
    • Print photos, documents, and Web pages from a phone or tablet.
    • Jump to specific past songs or videos from lock screen.
    • Immersive mode enables full screen viewing of books, videos, and games.
    • Color emoji characters available to Android keyboard 2.0 users.
  • HTC Sense 5.5 Highlights:
    • HTC BlinkFeed – Updated interface and more news sources
    • Location settings – Updated interface and new location profiles
    • HTC Gallery – Updated interface and new video highlight options
    • Music Channel – Updated interface
    • Lock Screen Widgets – New simple process to add lock screen widgets
    • Other – Cloud print, new Bluetooth profiles, security enhancements

OTA; User-Initiated Software Update

1. Connect to Wi-Fi.
  2. Tap Applications from home screen.
  3. Tap Settings.
  4. Tap AT&T Software Update.
  5. Tap Check for Updates and follow the on-screen instructions.

Former Employee

• 

229 Messages

10 years ago

Update: I keep seeing an icon in the top left since I checked for updates that looks like this...  

In my notifications drawer, it reads "Device Management is Running"

Contributor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I live in Louisiana, and it's May, a full 3 months after the update was released. I hate to tell you this, but your so-called community accepted solution is just that. It doesn't work and you don't provide instructions on what to do if ot doesn't work. My phone is still running 4.3 with Sense 5.0

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

@darcslade wrote:

I live in Louisiana, and it's May, a full 3 months after the update was released. I hate to tell you this, but your so-called community accepted solution is just that. It doesn't work and you don't provide instructions on what to do if ot doesn't work. My phone is still running 4.3 with Sense 5.0

Sometimes a factory reset will force the OTA to come through.  Not ideal, and doesn't do the trick all the time, but just throwing that out there.  

Alternately, I've read on here that AT&T 2nd tier tech support can push updates manually.  So basically, call AT&T and escalate the issue until you get ahold of someone who can do this.

Normally, another option would be just download the RUU (ROM Update Utility) to a PC and run it with your phone connected to update it (wipes user data).  But the RUU for KitKat has not yet been posted on the support page:  http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-one-att/news/

Contributor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

i spoke with an at& rep. and wiping my phone was the end result. i then spoke with an htc rep and cleared the cache on my phone, still no dice. i know that i'm not the only one with this problem so i wonder if htc and att dropped the ball here. also how do you talk with a second tier rep?

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

@darcslade wrote:

i spoke with an at& rep. and wiping my phone was the end result. i then spoke with an htc rep and cleared the cache on my phone, still no dice. i know that i'm not the only one with this problem so i wonder if htc and att dropped the ball here. also how do you talk with a second tier rep?

No, you are not the only one.  There are probably a variety of reasons why folks might have not received the OTA.  It happens on every device, for every update that a minority of customers don't get the OTA.  Remember that updates get rolled out to thousands of devices.  So its not going to go perfectly for every single one.  You just happen to be one of the unlucky ones.

You can reach an AT&T 2nd tier tech support rep by asking for one.  Not sure if "2nd tier" is the exact term (although I'm pretty sure its what I've read here), but if not just ask for the manager, or whatever needs to be done to escalate it.  Say that you read online that they can push the OTA to you manually, and don't take no for an answer.  

Contributor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

i spoke with an att rep a second time and they told me the reason why my phone would update was due to the imei number, that because it started with a 3, i would likely have to wait or not get it at all.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

@darcslade wrote:

i spoke with an att rep a second time and they told me the reason why my phone would update was due to the imei number, that because it started with a 3, i would likely have to wait or not get it at all.

Sounds suspect.  Its purchased from AT&T right?  I don't see why the IMEI would mean it would take so long to get the update.  It started rolling out over 2 months ago.  And I don't see why you would not get it at all, just because of a particular IMEI.  For all we know they could have just looked at your IMEI and made up that excuse.

Even if true, sounds like its a problem they should be obligated to fix, not just give you excuses and expect you to buzz off.  I say you call them, and insist they give you a satisfactory solution to this.  "Your IMEI starts with a 3.  Have a nice day" is not appropriate customer service.

The worst case, is you wait for the RUU to be posted.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.