For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
HaavyC's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 13th, 2013 12:18 PM

HTC Nexus One X Short Battery Life after Jelly Bean update

Hello all,

My HTC Nexus One X received the update yesterday to Jelly Bean, and now the battery life is very short. Without being used, it loses about 1% of its charge every 5-10 minutes, and about 1% of its charge when being used. And this is after turning off features such as the NFC options, the quick boot, and the supposed power saver feature. According to the phones power usage feature, no app is hogging up power, and of course, I have the screen brightness off. I don't have any particularly unusual apps that I would think would cause this, and googling the problem did not yield any results. Has anyone else had this issue or know how to resolve it?

Thanks.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Correction: Just "HTC One X", no "Nexus". Old habits....

I've diabled the AT&T bloatware with little effect.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Download better battery stats. Otherwise, look for the usual culprits - latitude, weather apps, twitter /facebook apps. I usually turn off Sense's stock weather notifications and use Weatherbug instead.

Scholar

• 

312 Messages

11 years ago

@HaavyC wrote:

Hello all,

My HTC Nexus One X received the update yesterday to Jelly Bean, and now the battery life is very short. Without being used, it loses about 1% of its charge every 5-10 minutes, and about 1% of its charge when being used. And this is after turning off features such as the NFC options, the quick boot, and the supposed power saver feature. According to the phones power usage feature, no app is hogging up power, and of course, I have the screen brightness off. I don't have any particularly unusual apps that I would think would cause this, and googling the problem did not yield any results. Has anyone else had this issue or know how to resolve it?

Thanks.

Have you...(Gulp)... Factory reset the HOX since the update? Any time I've ever had an Android device (HTC or otherwise) go rogue in the power consumption department that's always been the end result. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I believe I've figured it out. The primary culprits were "AT&T Contacts SyncMLProvider" and "AT&T Contacts SyncMLService", which cannot be dissabled but can be force stopped. They do not appear in the Battery Usage page which came with the phone, but I could see their CPU usage after downloading the app "Usage Timelines Free". About once a minute, these apps would run and use cpu at over 100% (according to the usage app.) The whole system became bogged down. By comparison, the Facebook app would spring up maybe once every ten minutes (yeah, I had to stare at this for a while) and use only about 1% cpu. An incoming email would cause gmail to briefly use about 5% of the cpu.

Now, like I said, these apps could not be disabled, but the Force Stop has resolved it so far. It's possible the apps might be activated after a day, and I'm certain that after a soft reset it would have started all over again. So, for a long term solution, the phone might have to be rooted and the apps removed that way. After a quick google search, these AT&T apps appear unique to the One X and can be removed without disrupting the system.

After doing this, the battery life was much better, but wasn't quite as good as it was before the Jelly Bean update, so I did a hard reset. Just for safety, I immediately dissabled and force quited all unused apps. So far, the battery life is pretty good, possibly even better than before the update (which it should be!)

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you so much for stalking this one down. I had the same problem - short battery life, high temperature. I thought it might be my perhaps still regrettable download of AT&T Messages that was the cause, but as soon as I disabled the two AT&T Contacts processes things returned to normal. The only thing AT&T Contacts seems capable of is failure to sync.

I suppose the lateness of the JB upgrade was due to AT&T's insistence on loading its crapware on the build. No thanks!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I'm finding that at least one of the AT&T Contacts processes is reactivated when attaching the phone to my PC by USB. Certainly both of them are reactivated when the phone is rebooted. At least I'll know when the phone gets hot that I need to kill one or both of them.

This may be rendered moot by the fact that, now that Jelly Bean has forced Media Transfer Protocol on me and removed Mass Storage Class, I'm using FTP to sync my files. Two steps forward and one step back!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I was finally able to do a hard reset of my phone yesterday. After I restored and rebuilt my phone's contents, the battery life has been noticeably better.

Signficantly, I also installed "AT&T Messages" again, but this time said "no" when prompted to sync with my AT&T Contacts. I've seen MLService appear briefly, and killed it, but MLProvider hasn't reappeared.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.