HTC M8 has Carrier IQ

Guru

HTC M8 has Carrier IQ

It's been confirmed that the AT&T version of the HTC M8 has Carrier IQ. I've tested it out on my own phone and, sadly, it's true. Now I really can't wait to convert it to either a GPe or a Developer Edition!

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one-m8/374940-htc-one-m8-carrier-iq.html

Message 1 of 6 (3,305 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: HTC M8 has Carrier IQ

so unlock it on htcdev and use the perm root method.  s off is right around the corner

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6 (3,244 Views)
Highlighted
Guru

I unlocked the bootloader as soon as I got the phone. This was more of a public service announcement!

Message 3 of 6 (3,179 Views)
Professor

kgbkny wrote:

This was more of a public service announcement!

And thanks for the PSA.

Message 4 of 6 (3,166 Views)

What is carrier IQ?
Message 5 of 6 (3,031 Views)
Professor

tinagallo379 wrote:
What is carrier IQ?

The following article is a few years old, but sums it up pretty well:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/01/carrier-iq-what-it-is-what-it-isnt-and-what-you-need-to/

In particular, the first 2 paragraphs:

Carrier IQ has recently found itself swimming in controversy. The analytics company and its eponymous software have come under fire from security researchers, privacy advocates and legal critics not only for the data it gathers, but also for its lack of transparency regarding the use of said information. . . Ostensibly, the software's meant to improve the customer experience, though in nearly every case, Carrier IQ users are unaware of the software's existence, as it runs hidden in the background and doesn't require authorized consent to function. From a permissions standpoint -- with respect to Android -- the software is capable of logging user keystrokes, recording telephone calls, storing text messages, tracking location and more. It is often difficult or impossible to disable.

How Carrier IQ uses your behavior data remains unclear, and its lack of transparency brings us to where we are today. Like you, we want to know more . . .

Message 6 of 6 (2,853 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.