The Samsung Galaxy S24
SEANCON's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Friday, February 27th, 2015 8:40 PM

HTC M8 Agent IQ Battery Drain?

Ever since the update i have been getting the Dish icon (like GPS) appearing consistently for 10-20 minutes at a time in a given hour.  The battery drain since the update is horrible.  Go to work, look at my phone 2 hours in and its at 50% battery.  Go into manage apps and see Agent IQ under android services. says its running for over 24 hours? when i try to stop the app.  It stops for about 3-5 minutes and then is initiated again.  I have no GPS on , no auto update apps....what the heck.... tried the hard reboot after stopping the program and nothing....this is getting to be ridiculous.  Any one else having the issue? i see it in other forums about the ATT update/Agent IQ issue but nothing here in the community....weird

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I would like to point out again that the software is only installed on my
phone purchased from AT&T. My son purchased his from Best Buy and doesn't
have it. My coworker purchased his directly from HTC and doesn't have it.
If you aren't going to fix it, then I want it removed.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

@IQCarrierHTC wrote:

Just in case you didn't get the memo @ATTMobilityCare, I will remind you guys again. Waiting for an update. 

@IQCarrierHTC

have you read the tos you agreed to?  notice the underlined portions of this.

The software, interfaces, documentation, data, and content provided for your Equipment as may be updated, downloaded, or replaced by feature enhancements, software updates, system restore software or data generated or provided subsequently by AT&T (hereinafter “Software”) is licensed, not sold, to you by AT&T and/or its licensors/suppliers for use only on your Equipment. Your use of the Software shall comply with its intended purposes as determined by us, all applicable laws, and AT&T’s Acceptable Use Policy atatt.com/AcceptableUsePolicy.

You are not permitted to use the Software in any manner not authorized by this License. You may not (and you agree not to enable others to) copy, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, reproduce, attempt to derive the source code of, decrypt, modify, defeat protective mechanisms, combine with other software, or create derivative works of the Software or any portion thereof. You may not rent, lease, lend, sell, redistribute, transfer or sublicense the Software or any portion thereof. You agree the Software contains proprietary content and information owned by AT&T and/or its licensors/suppliers.

AT&T and its licensors/suppliers reserve the right to change, suspend, terminate, remove, impose limits on the use or access to, or disable access to, the Software at any time without notice and will have no liability for doing so. You acknowledge AT&T’s Software licensors/suppliers are intended third party beneficiaries of this license, including the indemnification, limitation of liability, disclaimer of warranty provisions found in this Agreement.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

@IQCarrierHTC wrote:

Have you updated to 4.4.4 and then to 5.0.2? Even the M8s at the AT&T store had running Agent IQ. It won't activate GPS unless you lose LTE signal. I'm pretty sure every single AT&T M8 has IQ agent, it just isn't as big of an issue because you don't lose LTE connectivity very often. Where I work, the phone toggles btwn 4g and 4gLTE, and that activates IQ agent and gps every single time. If I am at home or in the city where the phone does not lose LTE, IQ agent will run but GPS will not be activated very often. Either way, the fact that the program can change your privacy settings from GPS off to GPS High Accuracy is troubling. 

@IQCarrierHTC

I can tell you without a doubt my wifes phone does have the IQ software but it does not cause issues with her phone.  Now that could be because I wiped the phone and installed the RUU.  I dont like OTA updates they cause to many problems.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

9 years ago

Where in the TOS does it say that AT&T w/o my permission can use my GPS data to help monitor their network? Also, the software update basically bricked my phone. I will end up rooting the phone and it really isn't THAT big of a deal for me to get rid of this problem. My point is that this should not be the way AT&T deals with their customers. They clearly have a software bug, as some service reps have acknowledged over the phone and in this very thread. The least they can do is say they are working on an update to get this issue resolved. But instead, I get the "You are out of warranty so buy a new phone from us" response. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

@IQCarrierHTC wrote:

Where in the TOS does it say that AT&T w/o my permission can use my GPS data to help monitor their network? Also, the software update basically bricked my phone. I will end up rooting the phone and it really isn't THAT big of a deal for me to get rid of this problem. My point is that this should not be the way AT&T deals with their customers. They clearly have a software bug, as some service reps have acknowledged over the phone and in this very thread. The least they can do is say they are working on an update to get this issue resolved. But instead, I get the "You are out of warranty so buy a new phone from us" response. 

hounding a cs rep like @ATTMobilityCare is not going to get you anywhere either.  

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

@IQCarrierHTC wrote:

@IQCarrierHTC

You gave ATT that right when you got service so here ya go.  I know people dont read the fine print but I do when I get service.

3.6   Does AT&T Collect Location-Based Network Performance Information From My Device? Can I Use Location-Based Services With My Device?

AT&T collects information about the approximate location of your Device in relation to our cell towers and the Global Positioning System (GPS). We use that information, as well as other usage and performance information also obtained from our network and your Device, to provide you with wireless voice and data services, and to maintain and improve our network and the quality of your wireless experience. We may also use location information to create aggregate data from which your personally identifiable information has been removed or obscured. Such aggregate data may be used for a variety of purposes such as scientific and marketing research and services such as vehicle traffic volume monitoring. It is your responsibility to notify users on your account that we may collect and use location information from Devices.

Your Device is also capable of using optional Content at your request or the request of a user on your account, offered by AT&T or third parties that make use of a Device's location information ("Location-Based Services"). Please review the terms and conditions and the associated privacy policy for each Location-Based Service to learn how the location information will be used and protected. For more information on Location-Based Services, please visit att.com/privacy.

Our directory assistance service (411) may use the location of a Device to deliver relevant customized 411 information based upon the user's request for a listing or other 411 service. By using this directory assistance service, the user is consenting to our use of that user's location information for such purpose. This location information may be disclosed to a third party to perform the directory assistance service and for no other purpose. Such location information will be retained only as long as is necessary to provide the relevant customized 411 information and will be discarded after such use. Please see our privacy policy atatt.com/privacy for additional details.

http://www.att.com/gen/privacy-policy?pid=2506

http://www.att.com/legal/terms.wirelessCustomerAgreement.html#myDevice

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

9 years ago

I think at this point the people who's phone is negatively effected by this
issue understand that there was a TOS which allowed ATT to install this 3rd
party tracking software but still don't have to be happy about it. No one
wants to hear about a huge company blaming their customers or the
manufacturers of the phone (HTC) for patronizing the business, paying for
service, following the rules, paying your bills on time, and being
loyal.

Say the car you purchased from the dealership a year and a half ago sent
you a recall notice to come in and fix something in the antenna. Its past
the 12 month initial warranty period... but its a recall which you have to
do. You drop it off and it turns out they didn't just fix the antenna, but
updated software for the GPS without your knowledge. The update causes
your GPS to kick on causing the battery to drain.... resulting in the car
having to be jumped with cables every 5 minutes. Does the dealership tell
you that unfortunately the car is was past the warranty date when they
performed the recall service so they are not responsible for car not being
able to run anymore? Or do they realize that the update they made actually
caused the issue to begin with and fix it free of charge....If it was
ATT... they seem to be telling the customers that they are not responsible
for the problem. That the update they MADE you get AFTER they delayed it
for months (no doubt adding the IQ AGENT update into the release) NOW
pushes you past the warranty date which makes it not their problem and they
ignore you..in the rare case that they don't ignore you they play ignorant
to the issue...stating to call HTC because its the M8's issue not
ATT....HTC states that they cannot replicate the issue because the software
that is in the ATT M8 is not HTC software....So you call att back...they
open a ticket and close the ticket the next day. You call to check on the
issue and they don't have any info that you ever opened a ticket....no
notes at all in any system....then they start the process of opening a
claim again...its closed again...no notes....that's where i'm at in the
issue....and I know that there are alot more out there like me...the HTC
reps told me so ....

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

9 years ago

I have the exact same situation.  

AT&T has continually said that they didn't do it.  Call HTC.

HTC says the software was added by AT&T.  Call AT&T.

Create a ticket for enhanced support.  No word after a week.  Call back.

No evidence of a ticket being created.

Create another ticket.  Support calls when I am at work and can't answer the phone.  But you can't call back because they don't leave a number where they can be reached.  I leave a voicemail and tell them they need to call when I get off of work.  She actually left me another message saying she only worked until 4 pm and either I answer the phone or my ticket would be closed.

That is some customer service when we have to work around their schedules.  Do they realize how much we are inconvienced by their crap?  But they don't really care, it is obvious by the lack of response to the problem and they way they are treating the customers.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

@SEANCON

except its still HTC's phone and they built the rom and included all the software and even tested it.  Before it was sent to ATT to test.  Google even has to certify the build.  It amazes me how the OEM and carrier pass the buck on software all the time.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

9 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76, you seem to be in love with AT&T and their very broad TOS. I know that they use my location data to monitor their network. But when I turn off my GPS on my own phone, it should stay off. If I leave it on for whatever reason, sure. What would be the point of having the option to turn off GPS when it can activate itself to high accuracy mode even in airplane mode? And sure, they can put the clause in their TOS. But it should also be bolded and CLEARLY stated as to what it means. For example, "Purchasing of the HTC One M8 from AT&T will come with GPS permanently on at the expense of battery life to the user." The TOS are for every phone, regardless of whether it has IQ Carrier. It should be AT&T's responsibilty to notify consumers which phones have this spyware called IQ Agent installed. And I will continue to notify @ATTMobilityCare because they should respond to their customers. 

Also, AT&T claims the IQ Agent is not their app and that it is a third party app. I have been told this countless times. So, according to their TOS:

Your Device is also capable of using optional Content at your request or the request of a user on your account, offered by AT&T or third parties that make use of a Device's location information ("Location-Based Services"). Please review the terms and conditions and the associated privacy policy for each Location-Based Service to learn how the location information will be used and protected. For more information on Location-Based Services, please visit att.com/privacy.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.