The Samsung Galaxy S24
SEANCON's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Friday, February 27th, 2015 8:40 PM

HTC M8 Agent IQ Battery Drain?

Ever since the update i have been getting the Dish icon (like GPS) appearing consistently for 10-20 minutes at a time in a given hour.  The battery drain since the update is horrible.  Go to work, look at my phone 2 hours in and its at 50% battery.  Go into manage apps and see Agent IQ under android services. says its running for over 24 hours? when i try to stop the app.  It stops for about 3-5 minutes and then is initiated again.  I have no GPS on , no auto update apps....what the heck.... tried the hard reboot after stopping the program and nothing....this is getting to be ridiculous.  Any one else having the issue? i see it in other forums about the ATT update/Agent IQ issue but nothing here in the community....weird

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

9 years ago

I haven't seen the gps icon flashing yet but some legal actions need to to take place so att has no choice but to remove carrier iq from att customers phones my phone has been getting hot since the update I'm really sick of this carrier iq stuff it's unnecessary unacceptable

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

All,

I can confirm after the Lollipop update I received that this is still an issue.

After reading through this forum and others like it, where AT&T has provided us sub-par service in addressing this issue, I have written a message to Engadget in order for the coverage on AT&T's use of Carrier IQ software causing privacy concerns and unacceptable phone performance to become more public. I would also be willing to contact other tech news outlets to get them involved as well.

Hopefully that will allow our concerns to be addressed more quickly and transparently.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

9 years ago

I seen the gps icon flashing last night for the first time I'm gonna make some calls today see what can be done about this carrier iq spyware iq agent I've had it seeing this gps icon flashing.....

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

9 years ago

Had a good talk with advanced tech support they don't care about the iq agent carrier iq they gave me the run around saying it's not spyware they can't remove it I'm sick of seeing this iq agent carrier iq in my phone monitoring it I'm gonna make some reports and report it to all techs Talk to some higher reps etc. That will get at&t's attention to remove this iq agent carrier iq

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

I don't know about anyone else, but I had enough, I'm rooting my phone and the moment my contract is up I'm talking all my 5 lines to a different carrier.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

So I posted and two days later I had no problems any more until a week ago. I downloaded the lollipop Monday or Tuesday and we are back to a major annoyance. I understood that it may have been built into kitkat and they were having a problem removing it but pushing lollipop out without fixing it was irresponsible since it is such an inconvenience for the customer. I love At&t but with Sprint offering to cut my bill in half...pay out my contract and pay for my 4 phones...I am being forced to choose between coverage with At&t and a phone that dies in 4 to 6 hours or less coverage and a phone that lasts through my work day or sightseeing etc. I don't want a refurbished phone when mine is only 3 months old. My hands are tied and At&t doesn't seem to be willing to fix it. It saddens me.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

9 years ago

I spent an hour on line chatting with a service representative.  Again, there was no resolution.  They all say the same thing, the carrier IQ cannot be removed.   And it appears they have no interest in removing it. 

I just got the OS update and it is still there.  After talking again with HTC they say that this is installed at the request of the carrier.  What is it going to take for ATT to listen to their customers and provide a quality experience and a quality service?

Scholar

• 

131 Messages

9 years ago

I've not had the issue over the past few days, since lollipop update. Keep
in mind, I was having the GPS popping up literally all day long every day
at work, but it's not been an issue over the past few days.

I will note a couple of things:

1) IQ agent service is regularly running in the background, as before, but
there's been no sign of my GPS running. Perhaps most important is that my
battery usage stats show no GPS run time (whereas before I was seeing 1.5-2
hours per day) even though the IQ agent service is regularly running in the
background.

2) My phone has been heating up slightly throughout the day. Not extreme,
and not like previously when the GPS was running, but it's still been
happening.

I'm having a separate issue with MMS messages and AT&Ts advanced tech
support offered to replace my device. I have zero desire to switch to a
replacement refurbished phone, but I'm going to at least test it to see if
my MMS issue persists, and, most importantly, see if the IQ agent/GPS issue
exists. I'm expecting the replacement phone runs on 4.4.4 (maybe even
4.4.2) so it will be interesting to see how the two devices compare. Will
update over the weekend when I've got the phone.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Hi guys,

Didn't see this post before I posted mine: https://forums.att.com/t5/Device-Features/HTC-M8-GPS-Turning-on-automatically/m-p/4221862

Same idea, same ugly problem. If AT&T doesn't intend to fix it real soon, they are going to face some consequences - either replace device, full refund, and some compensation for the fact that I have to walk around with $600 phone and charge it every 5hrs.

Also, the airplane mode links to the same issue. Was on a flight this week and turned on the Airplane mode only to see that battery was drained quicker! why, you ask? Because phone was constantly looking for GPS and left my phone "awake" for the entire time. This is utterly b*s

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

9 years ago

The only way your gonna be able to fix this problem is root the phone obviously at&t doesn't care they told me they can't remove it they requested it to be installed at&t customers  shouldn't have to root the phone to have a phone work properly

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.